ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2010, 07:14 PM   #7861
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonder
James sure knows how to show a fellow a good time.

Thank you James for putting this ride togather!
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:30 PM   #7862
jsonder
Tired Old Fart

Oddometer: 534
2 pictures

Here's the hill that seemed almost too steep to go down. There was a BP truck parked on most of the steel pipes that made up the flat top of it.

jsonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:25 PM   #7863
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,037
Pictures from today

Only got a few good ones, and for some reason stopped taking pictures after Douglas, but here's what I got.

The rest are here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jameskin...ongBorderLoop#

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things? Pirsig

Drizzt screwed with this post 06-27-2010 at 08:34 PM
Drizzt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:51 PM   #7864
Armacham
I Voted for Kodos!

Oddometer: 660
that fucking hill!!!!

I love that hill
Old 06-27-2010, 11:05 PM   #7865
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,781
I got a little hill for you to try sometime Sean. I'll even let you use my bike. I about shat myself coming back down it! I miss the hill climbs of colorado. Sometime I need to get out to the border road and check that hill out. I love some steep hill climbs!

I have almost got the xr's electrical system figured out. My dim lights are going to get fixed this summer dammit!
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:36 PM   #7866
Armacham
I Voted for Kodos!

colorado was awesome, Becky will post an RR when she gets back but we saw a ton of stuff in two weeks, Highway 191,, 89a, Grand Canyon, Zion NP, Monument Valley, Arches NP, went sky diving in Moab....

We tried to go up cinnamon pass but we took a wrong turn and ended going up corkscrew gulch which was full of loose gravel hill climbs. It started raining and I started crashing so we turned back and stayed in Ouray for the night.

Chickfest was a great event and some of the loops around Salida are outstanding Especially CR 185D and CR 300. I like colorado sand a lot more than Arizona sand..and there were some serious descents that I was surprised I didn't biff on my KLR. I was full on both brakes with my rear wheel just on the edge of lock up the whole time

glad to hear you're geting your electrical gremlins worked out
Old 06-27-2010, 11:59 PM   #7867
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

I figured you were logging on from a hotel/couchsurf somewhere. I didn't know you were back already. Glad you guys enjoyed Colorado/Utah, it truly is an awesome area. I'm looking forward to hearing about it!

"both brakes and sliding" sounds about right! I always tried the steepest stuff in sight, and the sucky bit was always coming back down them! Scary! So much fun though.

I basically threw away my old wiring harness. I made a whole new lighting harness, new regulator, capacitor, headlight relay and I'm thinking I'm going to throw a hid kit in my headlight.(how did yours work on your trip?) Stator is still being an ass but I'll get it going. Downside is its probably going to be stupid bright once I fix everything!
Old 06-28-2010, 12:02 AM   #7868
Armacham
I Voted for Kodos!

yeah I stole a spot on the trailer Skip and Cathy brought so I was home after a short 12 hour ride in the back of his BMW suv.

Yeah going up is way better than going down (that's what she said?)

The HID kits works okay but I had to apply liberal amounts of double stick foam tap because it vibrated which created this weird strobe/flicker effect. Once I got that sorted out it worked great.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:17 AM   #7869
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Did you head back on the trailer to go to work tomorrow? If not drop by and have a beer. I'll just be around poking my bike with wire or speaking spanish to myself(wierd online class).

I still haven't written a ride report from mexico, hard to believe its been two weeks. Hell seems like yesterday was the day before you guys left.

You found sand in Colorado? Where the hell were you? Compared to the mexico sand I bet Becky didn't even have to try. That stuff was hell!
Old 06-28-2010, 12:19 AM   #7870
Armacham
I Voted for Kodos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstzephyr
Did you head back on the trailer to go to work tomorrow? If not drop by and have a beer. I'll just be around poking my bike with wire or speaking spanish to myself(wierd online class).

I still haven't written a ride report from mexico, hard to believe its been two weeks. Hell seems like yesterday was the day before you guys left.

You found sand in Colorado? Where the hell were you? Compared to the mexico sand I bet Becky didn't even have to try. That stuff was hell!
nope I don't have to work until thursday, PM me your address again and I'll probably swing by.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:32 AM   #7871
Becktastic
Bonzai Becky

Oddometer: 1,153
This should be an interesting trip...

I stayed behind at Chickfest when a free oil filter serendipitously appeared and went on a phenomenal ride with some folks (soooo glad I decided to stay behind and ride!) I got on my bike intending to ride to Salida and do a parking lot oil change, but felt drawn to Denver instead where I met an adver with a cozy garage who's feeding me, housing me and letting me borrow a bike while his buddy does some voodoo on my floppy exhaust pipe. This is a pretty awesome site full of such great people...

Oh and thier house is full of kittens :3
Becktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:54 AM   #7872
midengineracer
Lost, with a GPS

Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becktastic
I stayed behind at Chickfest when a free oil filter serendipitously appeared and went on a phenomenal ride with some folks (soooo glad I decided to stay behind and ride!) I got on my bike intending to ride to Salida and do a parking lot oil change, but felt drawn to Denver instead where I met an adver with a cozy garage who's feeding me, housing me and letting me borrow a bike while his buddy does some voodoo on my floppy exhaust pipe. This is a pretty awesome site full of such great people...

Oh and thier house is full of kittens :3
I thought you got your pipe fixed down in Mexico? Did you bang it against something?
2010 H-D XR1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
The best accessory for a KLR is another bike for riding offroad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin
I need to start riding my bicycle more so I can justify a cool new one.
midengineracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:28 AM   #7873
Becktastic
Bonzai Becky

Oddometer: 1,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by midengineracer
I thought you got your pipe fixed down in Mexico? Did you bang it against something?
The new bracket I got in Mexico helped a lot, but I need a longer bolt with a spacer because it was rubbing the tire with the suspension compressed and it broke a metal bracket inside. White Brothers got bought out and their new owners have zero product support so BeemerPat is actually machining a new piece to fix what broke and welding it back together. O_o
Becktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:32 AM   #7874
Armacham
I Voted for Kodos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becktastic
The new bracket I got in Mexico helped a lot, but I need a longer bolt with a spacer because it was rubbing the tire with the suspension compressed and it broke a metal bracket inside. White Brothers got bought out and their new owners have zero product support so BeemerPat is actually machining a new piece to fix what broke and welding it back together. O_o
kick ass!
Old 06-28-2010, 09:26 AM   #7875
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armacham
that fucking hill!!!!

I love that hill
Yeah, it was hella scary going down. Between gaining momentum halfway down, then hitting the stupid ruts that the border patrol make trying to make it up, it was pretty hairy. Still a lot of fun though!

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things? Pirsig
Drizzt is online now   Reply With Quote