ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2009, 10:17 AM   #781
DesertDouglas
Back in the Saddle

Oddometer: 40
Ron, wonderful pictures. I had a good time too. I've got a good picture of you, but can't figure out how to post pictures. Can you email me so I can attach it and send it to you?

Thanks,
Bruce
DesertDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:16 PM   #782
KIC
Proud Army Dad

Oddometer: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becktastic
I'm having a bit of a problem :(

My boyfriend didn't get approved for financing. In an effort not to be a jerk, I am waiting a little while to get my bike in the hope he can find a way to get one too. We bought our scooters together, researched and decided on the KLRs together and I don't want to flaunt my brand new bike in front of him if he can't get one.

But at the same time I really really really want my bike NOW!
Sounds like new boyfriend time ! Okay..just kidding... I know a guy selling an 08 with a lot of extras ( farkles) that is blue if you are interested.

Looks like a nice ride on Saturday. I was up in the White Mountains without my bike, although it went up Mt Lemmon and back without me as a payback for leaving it here in the heat.

Saturday is a Tech Day in Case Grande so it will be a repair day, not a riding day for me. BUT..then there is the following Saturday.....

Oh Yea.... Becktastic..if you really want to be exposed to a lot of KLR's there should be 12 -14 a the Casa Grande Tech Day. You guys could see what the "DooHickey" is all about, valve adjustments, mods, changes in suspension and eat cheesburgers and BBQ wings.
1985 Yamaha YZ 250 - Sold
KIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:32 PM   #783
Low Down
ADV Misfit

Oddometer: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by russbryant
Waaazup Guys and Gals? It seems I got unsubscribed from this thread somehow. I thought it was dead for the summer but should have known better

Sorry I missed the Garter and the weekend ride but I left Tucson for work (sucks!!) that morning. Should be back in a week or 2.

Westbrook - I got your pm but as you can see were a big bike friendly bunch Welcome to you and all the other new peeps joining our motley crew.

On a heat related note, a guy I ran into at Raytheon that has one of those Veskimo cooling systems and loves it. Pricey, but if you ride a lot in the Summer it's probably worth it. Google em up and see what you think or does anyone have any experience with them? Very light weight system.

L8R,
Russ

PS - Anbody heard from our bud LowDown?
Hey Russ...

I'm still kickin', but my free time has been consumed by playing 'Mr. Mom'.

How about tossing a couple of ride ideas and dates out on the table for when you're back in town??
Low Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:49 PM   #784
richmo1
Just a rider

Oddometer: 131
Tucson to Arrivaca by Dirt

Quote:

Saturday 8/8/09:

Arivaca / Kitt Peak ride.

Starting @ the Mobile station on Ajo hwy (SR86), 6 miles west of I-19 @ 7am.

We will head west to Sierrita Mtn road, south into the state land, and work our way around the western edge of the Sierrita Mountains, finding pavement a few miles east of Arivaca.

Stopping at Gadsden Coffee in Arivaca for food and coffee.

I don't suppose you have a GPS trail or map of that route? Basically looking for the trail you used to skirt the Sierrita mountains.

Thanks,
richmo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:49 PM   #785
goodtimes
local bum

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmo1
Quote:
I don't suppose you have a GPS trail or map of that route? Basically looking for the trail you used to skirt the Sierrita mountains.

Thanks,
Here is the route we tried to follow:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484993

We missed the turn off of Caballo Loco rd...and ended up taking a slightly different route...which I have not pulled down from my GPS yet (along with the pictures which are still on the G9). We started in the right spot, and ended in the right spot...just took a slightly longer route between Caballo Loco and San Juan Ranch road.

There are a bunch of different routes you can take through there....it seems like 1/2 the time I am down there, I *find* a new route.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:42 PM   #786
goodtimes
local bum

Anyone riding this weekend?

G/F is out of town....need more dirt....
Old 08-11-2009, 09:32 PM   #787
Low Down
ADV Misfit

I should be available Sunday...

Old 08-12-2009, 01:11 PM   #788
goodtimes
local bum

I could do Sunday....what sort of ride do you have in mind? I have a choice of a 800GS and a TW200....
Old 08-12-2009, 03:01 PM   #789
Low Down
ADV Misfit

I was thinkin' something that allows moving along at a good pace. Do you or anyone have some ideas on where to go??

Here's some serving suggestions:

Reddington/Mt. Lemmon

Reddington/Benson

Helvetia/Santa Rita Mts.

Ironwood Forest National Monument

It don't really matter to me where the ride goes down... though I have been kinda' partial to rides that include some elevation gain (for temperature relief). Anytime after 8 is good for me.

Let me know what youse have in mind.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:07 PM   #790
goodtimes
local bum

I'm all for some elevation and moving along at a decent speed (although I don't consider myself a 'fast' rider). That will limit my choice to the 800GS though, so we'll have to keep in mind that I'll be on a 450 pound pig.

I did the back side of Mt Lemmon 2 weeks ago...it is an easy option, but I would prefer something new. I haven't spent much time in the Santa Ritas, other than being over Gunsite pass a couple times in my jeep...not the best place for a 800....what else is down that direction? Never been through Ironwood....never spent much time around Benson either....
Old 08-12-2009, 04:51 PM   #791
Low Down
ADV Misfit

There's lots of great places to ride in the Santa Ritas... Rosemont Jtn, Box Canyon, Fish Canyon, Gardner Canyon, etc....

Here's a link to what's available to ride out there:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coronado/for...a_rita_ohv.pdf

If you want to go explore out that way it's fine by me. We can scoot over to Sonoita for grub and gas too. Let's dial it in if you're interested.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:51 PM   #792
goodtimes
local bum

Lets do it!

As long as I can keep the speed up a bit, I don't have a problem with the heat.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:27 PM   #793
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,032
You can go through the santa rita's on the forest road(Pretty sure it's box canyon), it's pretty easy with some small elevation gain. You spit out in sonoita, we can go back the same way, down gunsight pass (easy to go up the back side, the ride down is loose and rocky though, I'm not sure if it's 800gs territory, but it's a lot easier going down coming from the backside), or back via soniota highway. At least that's all I know of, there's probably more that I don't know of.

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things? Pirsig
Drizzt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:15 PM   #794
Low Down
ADV Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimes
Lets do it!

As long as I can keep the speed up a bit, I don't have a problem with the heat.
TRUE DAT!!!

It's always good to keep the air flowin'...

How about meeting up over at the Wilmot/I-10 Chevron around 0830???

We can bang down Wilmot and decide to take the powerline road over to SR83 to the Rosemont Jtn turn-off, or take Wilmot all the way over to Santa Rita Road and Helvetia. Once we're in the Santa Rita's we can scout around which ever way you want to go.

If anyone else is interested please post up so I have an idea of how many to expect.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:45 PM   #795
Becktastic
Bonzai Becky

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIC
Sounds like new boyfriend time ! Okay..just kidding... I know a guy selling an 08 with a lot of extras ( farkles) that is blue if you are interested.

Oh Yea.... Becktastic..if you really want to be exposed to a lot of KLR's there should be 12 -14 a the Casa Grande Tech Day. You guys could see what the "DooHickey" is all about, valve adjustments, mods, changes in suspension and eat cheesburgers and BBQ wings.
I would be interested :) Do you know how much he wants for it and what farkles it has?

When/where is this Tech Day? Sounds cool. I've heard of the doohickey...but do the 08-09s need that? I thought it was just a thing with the older style?
Becktastic is offline   Reply With Quote