ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2009, 09:03 AM   #826
KIC
Proud Army Dad

Oddometer: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becktastic
Thanks everybody! Yes I was looking into that intermediate riders course but you need to supply the bike for those...aaannd I would need a little more time in the saddle to take the klr to something like that. I am very interested in trying a TW200 though! Easier to get confidence in this crazy shifting business without the threat of impromptu wheelies.
Becktastic I will try to bring at least one of the TW's tonight. I havne't had a chance to ride my KLR since I did the valves last weekend and was looking forward to riding it tonight, but if my friend doesn't take one of the TW's tonight, maybe I'll ride one on in. If you are on the east side of town and want to ride one to bike nite you could do that too.

You can also use one for a rider's course if you want. I think that would be a great investment for you !
1985 Yamaha YZ 250 - Sold
KIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:02 AM   #827
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 10,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimes
Marisa and I will be there tonight (no TW or GS though....we'll be caging it).

I'm planning on being there. If you think about it, bring the old TW plate.

Thanks,

John

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:11 PM   #828
pringlecan
Burly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
does anyone ride madera canyon area? I'm there every chance i get. yesterday I rode 62 through box canyon to 83 and stuck to the pavement up to sahuarita road since it was past sunset. nice little 65 mile jaunt round trip to my place in sahuarita.

The road up to the Whipple Observatory is beautiful but it's a dead end at the top. 143 is slam packed full of big rocks that I'm not quite used to riding yet. practice makes perfect I guess.
pringlecan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:24 PM   #829
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by pringlecan
does anyone ride madera canyon area? I'm there every chance i get. yesterday I rode 62 through box canyon to 83 and stuck to the pavement up to sahuarita road since it was past sunset. nice little 65 mile jaunt round trip to my place in sahuarita.

The road up to the Whipple Observatory is beautiful but it's a dead end at the top. 143 is slam packed full of big rocks that I'm not quite used to riding yet. practice makes perfect I guess.
I ride out there all the time since I live out there (on sahurita road)

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things? Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:05 PM   #830
richmo1
Just a rider

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by pringlecan

I recently rode from Patagonia to Whipple on Solero Ranch road and FS143. I agree that 143 is a pretty mean ride. I would do it again solo on my DR650 but doing it on my V-strom with my G.F. on the back was brutal (definitely full on adventure).
richmo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:43 PM   #831
pringlecan
Burly Adventurer

good god i can't imagine 2up on 143... that's asking to scare her off for good.

i rode redington pass from tanque verde to 77 then south into Tucson... rode east through the city and took Kolb/Valencia/Wilmot south to Sahuarita road... 5 hours, 140 miles. a little longer than i care to tackle on a thursday evening. met a friendly adv member dressed like the local PD near oro valley who was nice enough to let me off with a warning for speeding... thanks buddy.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:09 PM   #832
pringlecan
Burly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt
I ride out there all the time since I live out there (on sahurita road)
cool i live near duval mine rd and la canada. i ride a silver and black KLR
Old 08-20-2009, 11:18 PM   #833
KIC
Proud Army Dad

Oddometer: 1,080
From some of the Phoenix Crew....

Ride..Florence..Mt Lemmon 8/30/09
This is the ride discussed at Bike Nite tonight:
------------------------------------------------------
fishnbait and I are riding up the backside of MT Lemmon on Sunday, 8/30/09. We'll leave from Queen Creek at about 7am and hit the desert in Florence about 7:30 ish. I'm hoping we can get some of you Tucson boys to meet up either in Oracle or meet us up on top for a bite to eat and some hang time. Miles from Queen Creek are about 98 one way. from Oracle I thinks its about 30 some odd miles to the top. We're both taking our 400's out for some exercise. Our last trip over Lemmon was on the KLR's. Gas in Queen Creek, Florence, Oracle along with plenty of hydration choices. We'll try and pin down meet up times as guys chime in.

Big question...who wants to go?

You can follow the thread here:

http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=70407

1985 Yamaha YZ 250 - Sold
KIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:40 AM   #834
sam w
rider

Oddometer: 21
mt.lemmon ride

like to meet up with you guys in florence.Have not road with you guys but i think i could keep up and if not i know my way to the top of the lemmon.Just let me know where and what time.
sam w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:30 PM   #835
inire
Browncoat symp

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becktastic
Thanks everybody! Yes I was looking into that intermediate riders course but you need to supply the bike for those...aaannd I would need a little more time in the saddle to take the klr to something like that. I am very interested in trying a TW200 though! Easier to get confidence in this crazy shifting business without the threat of impromptu wheelies.
Congrats on the new bike! Hope the meetup was fun!
Old 08-21-2009, 03:15 PM   #836
DesertDuster
Old Pueblo Rider

Oddometer: 190
On Line mapping

What is the best way to research trails? I have looked at Google, Mapquest and the others but wonder if you might have a better way.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:58 PM   #837
pringlecan
Burly Adventurer

bing.com/maps
Old 08-21-2009, 05:58 PM   #838
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 10,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDuster
What is the best way to research trails? I have looked at Google, Mapquest and the others but wonder if you might have a better way.

GoogleMaps for looking at the aerial/satellite photos. If it's in a low quality image area I'll use TerraServer as a backup (B&W only).

Terraserver also has topo maps.

Mapsource to plot the route.

Usually have three windows open at a time and cross reference back and forth.

Even with all the pre-planning, I've been put on route planning probation several times.

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:38 PM   #839
richmo1
Just a rider

Oddometer: 131
Backside Mt. Lemmon Saturday Morning

Anyone interested in going up the backside of Mt. Lemmon on Saturday morning? Depending on the weather, I'm thinking of heading up around 7:30 in the morning from Oro Valley.
richmo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:11 PM   #840
Low Down
ADV Misfit

Oddometer: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDuster
I have a great way to 'research' trails...

1) Get on bike. Start it.

2) Point it in a direction of interest and RIDE!

I try not to beat myself to death using maps and GPS software. It takes too much fun out of the ride for me (although it would be different if I really had to dial in an itinerary). The GPS comes along on most rides I do, but it's mainly used for finding POI and marking waypoints.... and sometimes for finding my way back to camp.

richmo:

I may be riding the control road tomorrow, but it won't be from Oro Valley, and it won't be at 0730. I'll be riding through Reddington instead. If I don't see you out there, have a great ride!

Low Down is offline   Reply With Quote