ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2011, 10:15 AM   #11686
Tropicseed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt View Post
You say you have the etrex, which is also what I have. I would be interested to know where you get maps, I'm also a complete gps newbie.

I almost always putz around at slow speeds, so I suppose injury isn't as much of a concern as it might be for some people, but it's something I still think about. Borrowing a spot is a great idea too.
Garmin sells maps; I have City Navigator 2009, USA Topo and USA National Parks Topo. A couple of gotchas though: I don't know whether all eTrex's support maps. I have the Vista C, I believe the Legend also does maps, but I don't know about the other eTrex models -- which do you have? The other gotcha is that the older eTrex's (like mine) don't support the newer "NT" Garmin maps.

Actually, I'd be happy to get together and show you how it all works. It's also possible to make maps; I did this for the trails where I used to live (in Mexico). I'm in "central" Tucson (as much as there is one!) near Craycroft & Pima, available pretty much any time. PM me if you're interested.

patrick

Tropicseed screwed with this post 07-17-2011 at 10:52 AM
Tropicseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:30 AM   #11687
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicseed View Post
Garmin sells maps; I have City Navigator 2009, USA Topo and USA National Parks Topo. A couple of gotchas though: I don't know whether all eTrex's support maps. I have the Vista C, I believe the Legend also does maps, but I don't know about the other eTrex models -- which do you have? The other gotcha is that the older eTrex's (like mine) don't support the newer "NT" Garmin maps.

Actually, I'd be happy to get together and show you how it all works. It's also possible to make maps; I did this for the trails where I used to live (in Mexico). I'm in "central" Tucson (as much as there is one!) near Craycroft & Pima, available pretty much any time. PM me if you're interested.

patrick
I've done a bit of reading, apparently my model is the "ancient" one, it's the basic blue one. With only 8 megs of memory, map support is pretty limited. I've been playing around though, and it looks like I can make a path on google earth and import it onto my unit, which is good enough for me. I went out and bought a cable to transfer this information but of course it's an old serial cable, so now I'm either stuck using my also ancient desktop or finding a converter for my laptop. I'll figure something out though, if not maybe I should just bite the bullet and get a new gps

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things? Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:37 PM   #11688
KIC
Proud Army Dad

Oddometer: 1,080
You need the USB to RS232 converter ? If so I have one.
1985 Yamaha YZ 250 - Sold
KIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #11689
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,359
Quote:
I've done a bit of reading, apparently my model is the "ancient" one, it's the basic blue one. With only 8 megs of memory, map support is pretty limited. I've been playing around though, and it looks like I can make a path on google earth and import it onto my unit, which is good enough for me. I went out and bought a cable to transfer this information but of course it's an old serial cable, so now I'm either stuck using my also ancient desktop or finding a converter for my laptop. I'll figure something out though, if not maybe I should just bite the bullet and get a new gps
Free topo maps at GPS depot. Better than the ones Garmin sells. Have been using them for years.
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:13 PM   #11690
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIC View Post
You need the USB to RS232 converter ? If so I have one.
nah it's a usb to db9. I have an old dell desktop i can fire up but I'm not sure if that's what I want to do. Some of the adapters don't work with windows 7, so I'll have to shop around town and see if anybody has one that'll work.

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things? Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:05 PM   #11691
Fastphil38
AZ Offroad

Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Convert View Post
Thanks, can't wait to check it out.
So, DC did you get out there today?
Old 07-17-2011, 07:26 PM   #11692
Tropicseed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
New member introduction...#2

Hi all -

You may remember my introductory posting a few weeks ago asking about internet in Tucson. Well, my wife & I drove up here from Lake Chapala, Mexico last Sunday (10th), and moved into our new home here in Tucson (near Craycroft/Pima). So we've been here a week now, getting the house and our stuff into some semblance of order (the stuff & house are winning!).

I guess we lucked out with the weather as last week was relatively cool; forecast for this coming week is back to normal, i.e. toasty. Although the little rain today seemed to cool things off pretty well.

Anyway, I ride a KLR650 and love the dirt - although probably not the extreme parts! The plan was to convoy up, but we decided to drive up together and leave the bike at a friends' house. I'll be going back down in late Oct and will ride the KLR back up here then. So, sadly, no riding for me for a while (there will be an intro #3 when I'm ready for that!).

I did want to mention a couple of things, I hope it's not considered spam, If so, just ignore it:

1. I have a pitbull stand which I no longer need. Before I put it on craigslist, I thought I give you the chance at it. PM me if you're interested. It's a great, v sturdy, rear wheel stand that holds up the swingarm. I paid $125 for it, you can have it for half that.

2. The reason I'm going back down to Mexico in Oct is to certify as a Thai Yoga Massage practitioner, and also to take a weeklong advanced course. One of the certification requirements is that I give 30 massages at no charge. So if any of you are interested in receiving a free Thai Yoga Massage, let me know! It's a 2hr treatment, and everyone keeps their clothes on :-) PM me if interested and for more info.

Thanks for your patience and I hope you didn't mind the off-topic parts of his post
patrick
Tropicseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:27 PM   #11693
Dirt Convert
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphil38 View Post
So, DC did you get out there today?
Yup, found it no problem and made it out there this morning
Dirt Convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:44 AM   #11694
midengineracer
Lost, with a GPS

Oddometer: 1,285
Quote:
nah it's a usb to db9. I have an old dell desktop i can fire up but I'm not sure if that's what I want to do. Some of the adapters don't work with windows 7, so I'll have to shop around town and see if anybody has one that'll work.
RS-232 is the standard on the DB-9 connector.

But ignore that and just buy a nice new garmin (not top of the line so it will be in your price range) that will let you load maps and plan routes, search for stuff, etc.
Your handheld one should be reserved for emergencies, getting back home after finding strange buildings in the desert, that sort of thing.
2010 H-D XR1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
The best accessory for a KLR is another bike for riding offroad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin
I need to start riding my bicycle more so I can justify a cool new one.
midengineracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:47 AM   #11695
cjm1219
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Some how I have ended up with whole weekend off.

Who's riding?
Old 07-20-2011, 12:16 PM   #11696
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm1219 View Post
Some how I have ended up with whole weekend off.

Who's riding?

I am - but in Utah in the Fish Lake Mnts - then over to Colorado around Leadville - great being retired.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:36 PM   #11697
goodtimes
local bum

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman1 View Post
I am - but in Utah in the Fish Lake Mnts - then over to Colorado around Leadville - great being retired.
Nice. I was up there last week - heading the other direction though (counter clock-wise through NM, CO, WY, UT, and finally back to AZ.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:59 PM   #11698
mntdawg
NOT FRAGILE OR GREEN

Oddometer: 909
Quote:
Hey Flash, Are you going to be in the Leadville vicinity during the week?
Old 07-20-2011, 05:57 PM   #11699
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntdawg View Post
Hey Flash, Are you going to be in the Leadville vicinity during the week?
Yes - Tuesday or Wednesday - but not in leadville - a little futher south around Poania - would be great to meet up - but a word of caution - the wolf is along so the roads must be uber gentle!
Old 07-20-2011, 07:56 PM   #11700
mntdawg
NOT FRAGILE OR GREEN

Oddometer: 909
Quote:
Yes - Tuesday or Wednesday - but not in leadville - a little futher south around Poania - would be great to meet up - but a word of caution - the wolf is along so the roads must be uber gentle!
Leadville is only an hour away from me, but Paonia is almost three hours and several passes away. I'll catch you in winter haven (SE AZ) sometime in November.

Enjoy