ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 02:00 PM   #11881
SteveO
Huh???
 
SteveO's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Oddometer: 1,160
Very cool, well then that's two people who can make it on Saturday, lets do this Saturday!

BTW, I've called a very nice lady at the Arivaca Mercantile store and confirmed that she indeed does have gas for refills.

As well, we spoke about the Border roads being closed and she brought up the point that the Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge is right there in the Sasabe area. According to the Refuge map, we would be going right through the area.

I've called the provided number several times but was not able to get a hold of anybody.

As well, I called the BLM (602-417-9200) and left a voice mail asking about road closures in the southern part of the state, specifically around this area.


Ok, just got off the phone with Richard Conway, who is a Friend of the Buenos Aires NWR. He stated there is only one section of road that is currently closed. This section is "directly" runs directly east out of Sasabe. He stated we could get around that section, as there are many other roads out there.

So, I'll keep working on the map and see if I can find a way around that small 5 mile section.....


In the meantime, it looks like we have at least two riders besides myself....
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:38 PM   #11882
jsonder
Tired Old Fart
 
jsonder's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Green Valley, AZ
Oddometer: 510
Bill: You wrote "Attached Images"; where are the rest of the pictures?
__________________
John
2009 Honda CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet)
2014 Honda CB500XA (daily rider)
jsonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:25 PM   #11883
goodtimes
local bum
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: chair in front of my computer
Oddometer: 925
Bill: I'm not going to Moab, so I'll be heading up to Porkfest sometime on the 23rd (friday).

Not sure what route I'll take this year - but going up through Young last year was a nice ride.
__________________
Price is soon forgotten, quality is not.
goodtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:43 PM   #11884
KIC
Proud Army Dad
 
KIC's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Tucson, we keep our ice in the freezer, Arizona
Oddometer: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimes View Post
Bill: I'm not going to Moab, so I'll be heading up to Porkfest sometime on the 23rd (friday).

Not sure what route I'll take this year - but going up through Young last year was a nice ride.
That was the way we went last year and is the way we are going this year too. If you want to ride together lets stay in touch. So far our third and 4th riders are iffy so it looks like just Ron and I are headed up that way.



John.. I included just 1 picture in my last post. So just for you here is another:
Attached Images
 
__________________
2006 KLR - RED- The Fast one ! - Sold and missed daily
1989 Yamaha Venture XVZ13DW
1987 Yamaha Venture XVZ13DW
1985 Yamaha YZ 250 - Sold
KIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:48 PM   #11885
yzfcathy
Weeble
 
yzfcathy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: TUS LAS
Oddometer: 1,184
KFC,
The only week of work I have all month is that week. In the meantime SKip and I are riding uo to Zion on Labor Day Weekend, then I'm headed to Bend OR for Wetfest the following weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIC View Post

SO...anybody else riding to Porkfest 2011 Sept 23-25th ?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=703303
__________________
F800, R6, 525EXC, 200EXC JackPiner
TUCSON BOARD
TUS AREA RIDES
Cathy's Dumb Solo Ride
The John Penton Story, Movie project
yzfcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:49 PM   #11886
KIC
Proud Army Dad
 
KIC's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Tucson, we keep our ice in the freezer, Arizona
Oddometer: 1,080
Zion will be a beautiful ride. Enjoy.
__________________
2006 KLR - RED- The Fast one ! - Sold and missed daily
1989 Yamaha Venture XVZ13DW
1987 Yamaha Venture XVZ13DW
1985 Yamaha YZ 250 - Sold
KIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:43 PM   #11887
ybracing
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Las Vegas
Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphil38 View Post
Hey Dude, You are back from your adventure, how was it and do you have a report posted? Ride On! Phil
Hi Phil,
Yes I am back. The ride was great with parts not so good. I have not posted a report because I have been on the go since I got back. I also have not done any riding in a month so my priority is to ride this weekend and then start on a report. It would be great if you could join us on this ride. It will probably be hot but we survived the Rug Road incident so I figure we should be able to muddle through this one.

Steve O, I will plan on being down there by 7:00 am on Saturday if that works for the group. Also if you could announce it when you have finalized the route so I can download the correct file for the gps. Thanks.

Hi Alyn,
Glad to see you are coming out on Saturday. I look forward to riding with you again.
ybracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:55 PM   #11888
SteveO
Huh???
 
SteveO's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Oddometer: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybracing View Post

Steve O, I will plan on being down there by 7:00 am on Saturday if that works for the group. Also if you could announce it when you have finalized the route so I can download the correct file for the gps. Thanks.

Whooooohoooo

I'm working it and I'll let all who have stated they are interested in going via PMs. As well, I'll post up here the finalized version. I'm working on cleaning it up so that the routes are easy to follow, including the alternate and shortcut routes.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:41 AM   #11889
Fastphil38
AZ Offroad
 
Fastphil38's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Tucson Az
Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybracing View Post
Hi Phil,
Yes I am back. The ride was great with parts not so good. I have not posted a report because I have been on the go since I got back. I also have not done any riding in a month so my priority is to ride this weekend and then start on a report. It would be great if you could join us on this ride. It will probably be hot but we survived the Rug Road incident so I figure we should be able to muddle through this one.

Steve O, I will plan on being down there by 7:00 am on Saturday if that works for the group. Also if you could announce it when you have finalized the route so I can download the correct file for the gps. Thanks.

Hi Alyn,
Glad to see you are coming out on Saturday. I look forward to riding with you again.
I can't make it this weekend, but next weekend we are going to ride/camp in flag on friday and saturday the peaks loop will be the ride on saturday. I will send an invite later. Ride On Phil
__________________
Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out of it alive anyway.
Fastphil38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:42 AM   #11890
SteveO
Huh???
 
SteveO's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Oddometer: 1,160
edit, again:


OK, when downloading the ZIP file, be sure and use the "Modified" file version, not the "RAW" file version. The Modified file version of this decompressed Zip file will have all of the correct tracks, including alternate tracks.....

Sorry for the confusion


SteveO screwed with this post 08-31-2011 at 11:57 AM
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:56 PM   #11891
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly
 
HoosierTrailmaster's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Under the Tucson Sun
Oddometer: 2,382
Steve,

Couple questions for you. Some of the map is marked "Extreme". Like extreme you might run into illegal border crossers? Single track with 1000' drop-offs? 4' river crossings? To my knowledge there is nothing down there that a good Harley rider couldn't make. Is there something I am missing? One last thing...you want to do that much of I-19 on a wr 250? Of course there is the frontage road along most of that. Not trying to be the fly in the ointment or the turd in the punchbowl, just curious. Looks like you would like us to meet somewhere in GV?

Flashman, since most of this is yours, can you chime in?

Oh and Will the Spill...can you make this one?
__________________
'06 Beta RR 525 "Red KTM"
'02 GasGas EC 300..."The Smoke"
'10 KTM 990 ADV R "Brutus Beefcakes"
HoosierTrailmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:02 PM   #11892
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU
 
craftycoder's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 2,173
I'll chime in briefly. The algorithm that defines difficulty takes into account speed, acceleration, and terrain. If it is marked red, then it is because the rider was riding LIKE it was extreme. That said, I calibrated the calculus to my own riding capabilities. So, this extreme based on my riding style. All of this assumes that these ratings were set using the track wizard and not set manually though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierTrailmaster View Post
Steve,

Couple questions for you. Some of the map is marked "Extreme". Like extreme you might run into illegal border crossers? Single track with 1000' drop-offs? 4' river crossings? To my knowledge there is nothing down there that a good Harley rider couldn't make. Is there something I am missing? One last thing...you want to do that much of I-19 on a wr 250? Of course there is the frontage road along most of that. Not trying to be the fly in the ointment or the turd in the punchbowl, just curious. Looks like you would like us to meet somewhere in GV?

Flashman, since most of this is yours, can you chime in?

Oh and Will the Spill...can you make this one?
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:17 PM   #11893
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly
 
HoosierTrailmaster's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Under the Tucson Sun
Oddometer: 2,382
Ah, thank you oh wise one. I thought I might be trying to do the Erzberg Rodeo on my 640 Adventure, which of course I can't.
__________________
'06 Beta RR 525 "Red KTM"
'02 GasGas EC 300..."The Smoke"
'10 KTM 990 ADV R "Brutus Beefcakes"
HoosierTrailmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:35 PM   #11894
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer
 
Flashman1's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Tucson
Oddometer: 5,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierTrailmaster View Post

Flashman, since most of this is yours, can you chime in?
You - on your 640 will have no problem - the only nasty part will be if there is mud down around Sasabe - it is clay and not sand - can be really thick.

Thats not to say that there are many side trips that are as hard as can be!

On the way back - It is possible to avoid the freeway almost all the way - the border patrol forces you on to it for a couple of miles - the way can be a little tricky to find though.

Brian - "Good Times" also rides down this way alot.
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:29 PM   #11895
ybracing
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Las Vegas
Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman1 View Post
You - on your 640 will have no problem - the only nasty part will be if there is mud down around Sasabe - it is clay and not sand - can be really thick.

Thats not to say that there are many side trips that are as hard as can be!

On the way back - It is possible to avoid the freeway almost all the way - the border patrol forces you on to it for a couple of miles - the way can be a little tricky to find though.

Brian - "Good Times" also rides down this way alot.

Do you have tracks for the non freeway route? This sounds better then the slab!
ybracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014