ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2011, 06:20 PM   #11896
willthespill
BRAAAP!

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierTrailmaster View Post
Steve,

Couple questions for you. Some of the map is marked "Extreme". Like extreme you might run into illegal border crossers? Single track with 1000' drop-offs? 4' river crossings? To my knowledge there is nothing down there that a good Harley rider couldn't make. Is there something I am missing? One last thing...you want to do that much of I-19 on a wr 250? Of course there is the frontage road along most of that. Not trying to be the fly in the ointment or the turd in the punchbowl, just curious. Looks like you would like us to meet somewhere in GV?

Flashman, since most of this is yours, can you chime in?

Oh and Will the Spill...can you make this one?
I am not sure will know later this week.
willthespill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:37 PM   #11897
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybracing View Post
Do you have tracks for the non freeway route? This sounds better then the slab!
I removed most paved road sections from my tracks - stupid now that I think about it.

There is a frontage road that jumps back and fourth across the freeway - and unfourtunately winds through some residential areas (Rio Rico) in places all the way from Nogales to Tucson - except for about a 3 mile section that forces you back on the freeway and through a border patrol check point.

After Amado and Green Valley the way goes west away from the freeway as you leave Green Valley. Continental road turns into Mission road which takes you right into Tucson.
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:05 PM   #11898
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,382
I think this one would be good for Rumplefester as well? Where are you Fester?
HoosierTrailmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:24 PM   #11899
ybracing
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
In reviewing the route, should I ride the 950? What do you think HTM. Looks like a lot of high speed stuff.
ybracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:52 PM   #11900
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

YB, if I were you, I would go 950 all the way. This is pretty easy stuff, especially with someone of your skill level.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:52 PM   #11901
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,158
Quote:
Steve,

Couple questions for you. Some of the map is marked "Extreme". Like extreme you might run into illegal border crossers? Single track with 1000' drop-offs? 4' river crossings? To my knowledge there is nothing down there that a good Harley rider couldn't make. Is there something I am missing? One last thing...you want to do that much of I-19 on a wr 250? Of course there is the frontage road along most of that. Not trying to be the fly in the ointment or the turd in the punchbowl, just curious. Looks like you would like us to meet somewhere in GV?

Flashman, since most of this is yours, can you chime in?

Oh and Will the Spill...can you make this one?

I understand the Crafty has an algorithm that automatically changes the color based on what he has created. However, I have changed the colors based on what "I can see" on the GPS map and topography. I've never been in this area, and so I really don't know if certain sections of the area are extreme or not. I just figure a small wash that barely has a signature of a road would be extreme for a larger bike. I was trying to think of all bikes that may take this route; from my little WR250 to the larger GS1200. For the WR250, is no problem in the sand wash, but the GS1200 may have a bit more challenging time, and so for them the sand wash could be extreme.

Again, sorry for the confusion, but I've never been in the area.

One thing I do intend on doing is taking pictures of these routes so I can post them back up on DualSportMaps. This will give a much better idea for anybody else who wants to take this little adventure.....
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:56 PM   #11902
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Another for YZFCathy

Only $3000, same year 2009 same model and has lots of extras. Located in Kalifornia.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/classifie...na-wr125&cat=2
Old 08-31-2011, 08:13 PM   #11903
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,158
Ya know, looking over the map, I don't know where you guys would like to park your trucks and trailers (if you are doing that). Can anybody else suggest a good place to start, and any other roads that would reduce the amount of slab riding?
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:39 PM   #11904
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

We can meet you in GV. There is a strip mall center right off one of the exits with a McDonalds (only McD's in GV). There is a route off Ajo Road that you go out Ajo almost to Three Points, then you head through the desert and end up at Arivaca. We jokingly call it the "Death in the Desert" ride. Skip has done it on a GS 1200 and several people have done it on F 800 GS's so that gives you an idea of difficulty. I have never done what you laid out, but I am guessing it is somewhat similar to the route I just explained with some graded dirt roads and country paved thrown in.

Richard (YB) is a hell of a rider and I can't think of too much he couldn't do on his 950. Me, I can do washes and most things on my 640 without too much trouble. Wouldn't want to do rocky single track though.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:23 PM   #11905
Low Down
ADV Misfit

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
We can meet you in GV. There is a strip mall center right off one of the exits with a McDonalds (only McD's in GV).
Exit 63 - Continental Rd. Hang a right at the end of the off ramp, and another right at the next light to get into the parking lot.
Low Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:57 PM   #11906
ybracing
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Down View Post
Exit 63 - Continental Rd. Hang a right at the end of the off ramp, and another right at the next light to get into the parking lot.
So, Micky D's, exit 63 in Green Valley on Saturday. Is everyone good with 7:00 am? If not speak now!

HTM, perhaps you could look at the asphalt sections and come up with some alternative routing. You guys know that area pretty well so, I am confident you will find something.

I am getting excited, I have not ridden in a month. I hope I remember how!
ybracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:52 AM   #11907
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 9,706
Head south on the west side frontage road until you hit Calle Tres. Go west on Calle Tres until you hit the T and turn left (south). Go 100 yards until you see a state land gate. Head west until you hit the gas line. Go south on the gas line until you hit Arivaca Road. Go east on Arivaca Road until you're back at the westside frontage road and go south. Go south on the westside frontage road until you have to get back on I-19 (it's the Agua Linda exit). Go west and check the gate there. It will most likely be locked. If it is you have to get on I19 South until the next exit, get off there and head west, that is the official access for the NFS land. At that exit, you need to go north about 200 yards on the frontage road to hit the dirt road that goes west into the NF.

With the length of your day planned, it may be better to stage at the Cow Palace in Amado.

Wish I could go, I'm headed to Houston Saturday morning to pick up a creepy stalker van.

Anyone riding Monday?

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:25 AM   #11908
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson.biguns View Post
Head south on the west side frontage road until you hit Calle Tres. Go west on Calle Tres until you hit the T and turn left (south). Go 100 yards until you see a state land gate. Head west until you hit the gas line. Go south on the gas line until you hit Arivaca Road. Go east on Arivaca Road until you're back at the westside frontage road and go south. Go south on the westside frontage road until you have to get back on I-19 (it's the Agua Linda exit). Go west and check the gate there. It will most likely be locked. If it is you have to get on I19 South until the next exit, get off there and head west, that is the official access for the NFS land. At that exit, you need to go north about 200 yards on the frontage road to hit the dirt road that goes west into the NF.

With the length of your day planned, it may be better to stage at the Cow Palace in Amado.

Wish I could go, I'm headed to Houston Saturday morning to pick up a creepy stalker van.

Anyone riding Monday?

I will ride with you Monday Biguns...what is your pleasure?
Old 09-01-2011, 12:01 PM   #11909
minnjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphil38 View Post
Yes I do work for the Gov in Oro Valley, the permit cost for a 1200 SF garage is appox $980.00. Buying property w/o permits can be risky, since not all jonnyhomeowners have the needed skills to build to the code, and there could be insurance issues down the road. I know that there are some good deals out there but it will take some legwork, good luck. Ride On! Phil
Fastphil, emerson.biguns, CMR73, midengineracer, Drizzt; thanks for the feedback.
We've widened our search to include Vail. Found a good one there too, then learned that the HOA didn't allow RV parking. The search continues....

Thanks again,
Minnjim
minnjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #11910
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 9,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierTrailmaster
I will ride with you Monday Biguns...what is your pleasure?

Not sure. Definitely an early morning ride to beat the heat. Maybe just a quickie up in Redington to give the 400 a test?

Or, something out in the Ironwoods, past Silverbell mine? Never ridden out there but spent a lot of time above it.

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote