ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2011, 10:17 AM   #12226
Tropicseed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman1 View Post
Had a camping trip planned but that fell apart. Anyone doing a Dual Sport ride over the weekend?
I'm on for something - I finally have my KLR up here (collected in Mexico a couple of weeks ago) and went for a ride with the AZ Long Riders last week. I was the only non-Harley!

I'm not a DS newbie, but equally am not up for anything very challenging until I know the area better. The Friday Tortolita newbie ride sounds good, rumplefester can you give me the details (mainly what time & how long)? Also up for something on Sat or Sun.

We (AZ Long Riders) went up to Mammoth, taking a very nice backroad NE from Oracle. We passed a dirt turnoff that I believe goes up the N side of Mt Lemmon; one of the guys said he's done it in his 4x4 and it gets pretty rough - but one man's "rough" is another's "great ride"! I would love to take that road up, and I gather you can also come down the S side via dirt - or the other way round.

More generally, I'm up for weekday rides (being retired!) so if anyone's interested in midweek rides to show me the area, I would love to ride!

cheers
patrick
Tropicseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #12227
DesertDuster
Old Pueblo Rider

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicseed View Post
I'm on for something - I finally have my KLR up here (collected in Mexico a couple of weeks ago) and went for a ride with the AZ Long Riders last week. I was the only non-Harley!

I'm not a DS newbie, but equally am not up for anything very challenging until I know the area better. The Friday Tortolita newbie ride sounds good, rumplefester can you give me the details (mainly what time & how long)? Also up for something on Sat or Sun.

We (AZ Long Riders) went up to Mammoth, taking a very nice backroad NE from Oracle. We passed a dirt turnoff that I believe goes up the N side of Mt Lemmon; one of the guys said he's done it in his 4x4 and it gets pretty rough - but one man's "rough" is another's "great ride"! I would love to take that road up, and I gather you can also come down the S side via dirt - or the other way round.

More generally, I'm up for weekday rides (being retired!) so if anyone's interested in midweek rides to show me the area, I would love to ride!

cheers
patrick
The road up the backside of Mt Lemmon is quite doable on a KLR. I enjoy that route on my KLR. I went down the backside in my Trailblazer about 3 weeks ago and it is passable by a high clearance vehicle. I would call it bumpy more than rough. There are a few rocky spots but nothing you can't handle. If a rating of two is a smooth dirt road the I would probably rate it a harder 2 (maybe a 3) out of 5. The road closes around 12/15 for the winter.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:25 PM   #12228
Tropicseed
Adventurer

Ride over the coming week end?

Further to my post above, I saw DesertDuster's ride photos & route, and it looks really nice. I did a great short ride from Patagonia down to Lochiel right after I bought my KLR here in '07. So, if anyone is interested, here's a suggestion for a DS ride this weekend based on this and DesertDuster's route - see attached photo. The route is about 165 miles measured from the I10/83 junction.

Alternatively, while doodling around with Mapsource I checked out the dirt roads near Mt Lemmon. The one up the 'back' (N side) from near Oracle looks good, as does the Reddington road.

Let me know if you're interested in doing either (or anything!) on Sat.
patrick
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2011, 01:23 PM   #12229
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,356
Quote:
Further to my post above, I saw DesertDuster's ride photos & route, and it looks really nice. I did a great short ride from Patagonia down to Lochiel right after I bought my KLR here in '07. So, if anyone is interested, here's a suggestion for a DS ride this weekend based on this and DesertDuster's route - see attached photo. The route is about 165 miles measured from the I10/83 junction.

Alternatively, while doodling around with Mapsource I checked out the dirt roads near Mt Lemmon. The one up the 'back' (N side) from near Oracle looks good, as does the Reddington road.

Let me know if you're interested in doing either (or anything!) on Sat.
patrick

How about Happy Valley on Sat or Sun? - a little more dirt than the other rides but still pretty easy.
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #12230
Tropicseed
Adventurer

Quote:
How about Happy Valley on Sat or Sun? - a little more dirt than the other rides but still pretty easy.
Google tells me this is in the area west & south of Reddington - right? Sounds good to me, and I'd prefer Sat to Sun, Sunday being a day of rest :-) My wife makes the world's best waffles and then I like to sit in the sun with a book. So if Sat's ok, I can meet you any where/when; I live near Pima/Craycroft.

And if anyone else is interested, let us know!
patrick
'08 KLR650
Old 11-23-2011, 04:19 PM   #12231
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Google tells me this is in the area west & south of Reddington - right? Sounds good to me, and I'd prefer Sat to Sun, Sunday being a day of rest :-) My wife makes the world's best waffles and then I like to sit in the sun with a book. So if Sat's ok, I can meet you any where/when; I live near Pima/Craycroft.

And if anyone else is interested, let us know!
patrick
'08 KLR650
It is near Benson,

Old 11-24-2011, 08:41 AM   #12232
yzfcathy
Weeble

Oddometer: 1,184
Gobble

Happy Thanksgiving all my Tucson riding friends.
See a few of ya on Sat
Gobble, gobble
Cathy's Dumb Solo Ride
The John Penton Story, Movie project
yzfcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:05 AM   #12233
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
On 2nd thought there will be a least one stream crossiing (which may be pretty deep right now) and a couple of fairley knarly hills - if you are too sure of the dirt yet - it might be too much until it dries out a bit.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #12234
Tropicseed
Adventurer

Ride over the coming week end?

Quote:
On 2nd thought there will be a least one stream crossiing (which may be pretty deep right now) and a couple of fairley knarly hills - if you are too sure of the dirt yet - it might be too much until it dries out a bit.
Given the rain last night, I think I'd rather wait for it to dry! I'm happy to meet up wherever and decide a route on the spot. How about you post a meeting place/time on the rides thread (TART) and I'll be there. Not toooo early though, 8:30 or 9a would be good.

patrick
Old 11-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #12235
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Given the rain last night, I think I'd rather wait for it to dry! I'm happy to meet up wherever and decide a route on the spot. How about you post a meeting place/time on the rides thread (TART) and I'll be there. Not toooo early though, 8:30 or 9a would be good.

patrick

PM sent
Old 11-25-2011, 03:26 PM   #12236
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Tropicseed and I are doing a DS Thanksgiving Holiday ride this Saturday. A simple Reddington loop to Oracle and slab back to Tucson through Catalina, Maybe a side trip or two - depending.

All are welcome - 9:30 (leaving at 9:40) at the last Circle K on Tanque Verde road.

Flashman1 screwed with this post 11-25-2011 at 04:13 PM
Old 11-26-2011, 02:55 PM   #12237
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Patrick (Tropicseed) and I road the Reddington - Mnt. Lemon - Oracle loop - great weather - but way too many people out - camping and hunting. I have never seen so many. What hunting season is it - deer? - but no orange vests?

We had a great time in spite of the crowds!

Old 11-27-2011, 03:35 PM   #12238
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,049
I have to share this, and since there's no "Tucson Area Craigslist Finds" thread, here she goes:

http://tucson.craigslist.org/mcy/2698350575.html

That's a stock, fairly clean looking, XS650 for $1200 obo. If I had the spare change I'd go grab it right now, but I don't, so I'm passing this on to someone who might be interested. Those are getting cult bike status, and clean examples usually go for more. Hell, there's some hacked up hard tail on there some guy is selling for $5k.

I am in no way affiliated with the seller.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:20 PM   #12239
erbemone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
End of the road.

Passed a HD bagger earlier today coming back to Tucson from Wilcox via Three links road. He was stopped at the end of the pavement, next to the sign, as I throttled on by on my DRZ. Hilarious. Who needs a real bike?

Bemer
erbemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #12240
Low Down
ADV Misfit

Oddometer: 813
Low Down is offline   Reply With Quote