ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #13141
usafric
Rio Rancho NM

Oddometer: 410
I'd rather crash on a dirt bike in the middle of nowhere, than on a road bike in the middle of traffic any day... I NEED the adrenaline rush from riding bikes, and can get it doing 40 mph down a sand wash, as apposed to 140 mph down a street...

So yeah get a dirt bike, you only live once, to quote Phil "Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out of it alive anyway." Ride on...
usafric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #13142
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafric View Post
It seems like I am still part of the Tucson group. Paul and I went riding yesterday, yes in the sand, and I had a little off. I was going over some whoops, now that's a surprise for this area, and the bike decided it wanted to go to the right. Well as you all know a body in motion stays in motion until something stops it!!!
Well the ground stopped me. Flew about 20ft and hit, and YES sand bloody hurts. Don't know if anything broken or just bruised, but gotta go to court today, so off I go, then stop by urgent care for a couple of X-rays.

How many peeps of the Tucson group are hurt now? Surely our run of injuries is over now?????

Holy crap Nigel! You didn't let Paul see you crash did you? I'll hear that for a month if he did!

Heal up fast...it's about time to start cruising the desert regularly this winter as well as a few trips out on the trials bike!
Old 09-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #13143
usafric
Rio Rancho NM

Oddometer: 410
Hey Curtis, he didn't see me, all he saw was a large dust cloud. And yes, I'm sure you'll hear all about it. Now he's telling me I need to sort out my suspension. Not that I've never ridden out at southern before...
I actually got 2 smallish rocks caught between the rim and the tyre.
usafric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:51 PM   #13144
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafric View Post
Hey Curtis, he didn't see me, all he saw was a large dust cloud. And yes, I'm sure you'll hear all about it. Now he's telling me I need to sort out my suspension. Not that I've never ridden out at southern before...
I actually got 2 smallish rocks caught between the rim and the tyre.
It's all good...I've got enough photos of Paul wadded up at Southern to last a lifetime!
Old 09-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #13145
DesertDuster
Old Pueblo Rider

Oddometer: 190
I took the gas line road along the southern side of I-10 yesterday, east of Old Sonoita Hwy. It is a fun ride with a variety of terrain. I travelled 12 miles east before finding out I was locked in near Empirita ranch and turned around to backtrack out.

Here are some photos.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:19 AM   #13146
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDuster View Post
I took the gas line road along the southern side of I-10 yesterday, east of Old Sonoita Hwy. It is a fun ride with a variety of terrain. I travelled 12 miles east before finding out I was locked in near Empirita ranch and turned around to backtrack out.

Here are some photos.
Been on that a number of times...if you head South from the gas line there is an old mine and you hit another gas line that is gnarly as heck. There is a reason it is called Marsh Station, there is a significant marshy area down there that is muddy and has some big sycamore trees.
HoosierTrailmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:45 AM   #13147
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:

Here are some photos.
There's some great riding in that area. I rode north from SR82 starting out on Granite Peak Rd and went all the way thru to I-10. A little over 30 miles of widely varied terrain.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #13148
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
On Any Moto

Anyone know if On Any Moto is still in Buisness?
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:01 PM   #13149
jsonder
Tired Old Fart

Oddometer: 518
They were a couple of weeks ago when I got new shoes for the NX250.
jsonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #13150
Erich in AZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Damn. I just pulled the trigger on the Eagle Mike kit before I came by here to check in. :facepalm:

I got sparky and pulled the side cover tonight just to check on it, and it looks like the original Doo so here I am buying more parts. Oh well, the tools are only $38 and I'll have them.

I also have a trunk box, a couple of Seahorse 720 cases and a luggage rack coming next week (I hope). Still need to do a 16t sprocket and some carb stuff. It's leaving black crap on the fender and only getting about 42mpg on the freeway. Oh, and I'm thinking since it's apart, I might just do a higher wattage stator as well.

My poor debit card is getting a workout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIC View Post
I have the new set of DooHickey tools to loan if you still need them.
Erich in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:10 PM   #13151
Erich in AZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:

Here are some photos.
I took shelter under the Empirita Ranch underpass Thursday evening when the sky opened up on me riding back from Sierra Vista (Stupid weather man). KLR, 75mph and raindrops the size of Volkswagen's (ok, maybe a slight exaggeration) is no way to go through life son. Turned out I had company, and met some guy doing a ride from Wisconsin to San Diego, up the coast and back though the northern route. It was cool to chat with him.
Erich in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #13152
DesertDuster
Old Pueblo Rider

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobukan View Post
There's some great riding in that area. I rode north from SR82 starting out on Granite Peak Rd and went all the way thru to I-10. A little over 30 miles of widely varied terrain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierTrailmaster View Post
Been on that a number of times...if you head South from the gas line there is an old mine and you hit another gas line that is gnarly as heck. There is a reason it is called Marsh Station, there is a significant marshy area down there that is muddy and has some big sycamore trees.
Thanks for the info on the Marsh Station and Empire Ranch area. I will have to spend more time out that way exploring.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:11 AM   #13153
Turtlebone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Hey guys, my dad's down in Sahuarita and has an '07 Suzuki DR650SE with a locked up motor (not sure what happened, the bike is new to him and it hasn't been torn apart). He's not real internet savvy and I thought I'd check in here for him to see if anyone knows someone local who may be able to get him a replacement. He would like to get a low-mileage motor for under a grand.
Turtlebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:33 AM   #13154
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,400
I'd check eBay.
HoosierTrailmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:47 AM   #13155
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlebone View Post
Hey guys, my dad's down in Sahuarita and has an '07 Suzuki DR650SE with a locked up motor (not sure what happened, the bike is new to him and it hasn't been torn apart). He's not real internet savvy and I thought I'd check in here for him to see if anyone knows someone local who may be able to get him a replacement. He would like to get a low-mileage motor for under a grand.
Probably a long shot to find anything local. Might try posting in the DR650 thread. And try Ebay, as already suggested.

Not very common for a DR650 to lock up, and they're easy to work on. Is a new motor really the best option?
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote