ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 09:39 AM   #13201
mergatroyd
Loser

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit13 View Post

83 is pretty good, it is paved all the way to Parker Canyon Lake. Though the little section to Parker is an out and back if you're a street only guy. Some great loops down there other wise.
83 south of Sonoita is pretty sketchy in some spots for sport-bikes. There is some "road construction" that consists of broken pavement in at least two spots, lots of potholes and road cracks waiting for highway funds.

Once you get south of Canelo Rd, the pavement gets lumpy and is quite disconcerting. It's do-able, it just isn't much fun.

I would do this route from Tucson

View Larger Map
mergatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:59 AM   #13202
jsonder
Tired Old Fart

Oddometer: 510
Could a Montezuma Pass trip be needed? That is not a sport bike pass, but it's a nice ride on a dual sport.
jsonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:30 PM   #13203
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by mergatroyd View Post
83 south of Sonoita is pretty sketchy in some spots for sport-bikes. There is some "road construction" that consists of broken pavement in at least two spots, lots of potholes and road cracks waiting for highway funds.

Once you get south of Canelo Rd, the pavement gets lumpy and is quite disconcerting. It's do-able, it just isn't much fun.

I would do this route from Tucson
Today is my friday, just got home. I'm trying to decide on a ride for tomorrow. I really want to do a 191-180 loop, but it's almost 600 miles in a day. Might be too much. That route you posted, is that going down mission? I've driven that road a lot, it's not in the best condition, is the road south of Sonoita worse?

I need to go get a DL1000 or F800GS, then a 600 mile day would be a piece of cake.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #13204
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,356
Ride today

The weather was perfect for riding.

Mike and I rode up on the west slope of the Whetstone Mnts.

A few pics:

Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #13205
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

My dumbass fucking mutt decided to stick his big nose into a little baby cholla bush today, so I spent all day trying to deal with him and haven't even thought about the bike. Ever try to calm down a 85lbs Dane mix who's flippin' a shit because there's about two dozen needles stuck in his nose? I think I ended up with more cholla needles in me then he did. Still might have to take him to the vet because there's a couple on the side of his nose he wont let me get near.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:59 AM   #13206
goodtimes
local bum

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
My dumbass fucking mutt decided to stick his big nose into a little baby cholla bush today, so I spent all day trying to deal with him and haven't even thought about the bike. Ever try to calm down a 85lbs Dane mix who's flippin' a shit because there's about two dozen needles stuck in his nose? I think I ended up with more cholla needles in me then he did. Still might have to take him to the vet because there's a couple on the side of his nose he wont let me get near.
I wish our (and by "our", I mean my girlfriends) dumbass mutt did that instead of sticking her face in the middle of a rattlesnake.

I could have bought 24 new (non-retarded) dogs for what it cost to keep that pile of fur alive.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:16 AM   #13207
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,020
Count me in as one who has pulled cholla from my dog (and consequently me). Holy shit that was a painful experience.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #13208
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Since we are on the topic of dogs, Beneful is having a contest to win a $500k dog park renovation, and one of the parks here by my house was submitted:

http://www.beneful.com/Dream-Dog-Par...rah-and-MOLLIE

It would be awesome if we could win, I used to live in Jacksonville, and we had a dog park there with a lake bigger then the entire dog park here by my house. So if you get a second, go vote! (If we win I'll host a party at the park, beer is on me)

Here is the Cholla offender:

Old 11-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #13209
mntdawg
NOT FRAGILE OR GREEN

Oddometer: 830
Dawgs

With years of trail miles under his pads, my dawg has devolped an acute awarness for cactus.

The better option.

Now a critter with an ass that looks like a cactus and runs through the forest was to tempting, it took two men and a pair of vicegrips to remove all the quills from this set of lips.

One month and we will be in the Sonoran.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #13210
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntdawg View Post
Now a critter with an ass that looks like a cactus and runs through the forest was to tempting, it took two men and a pair of vicegrips to remove all the quills from this set of lips.

Quills are tough. At least the cholla spines only have small hooks at the end, not barbs, like quills.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #13211
SQ Beemer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Taking the long way home from Tucson to LA.

I am going to be in Tucson for work for two weeks, then I am riding out of Tucson on Thursday, November 15. I will be stopping and seeing some friends for dinner in Phoenix that evening, and continuing on.

Should I go north or west?

Anyone want to grab a beer while I am around for the next couple of weeks?

SQ Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #13212
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntdawg View Post
With years of trail miles under his pads, my dawg has devolped an acute awarness for cactus.

The better option.

One month and we will be in the Sonoran.
Same with my Black Lab - he tip toes through the cholla's - its funny to watch. But on occasion he does get one in his paw - thats why I carry a pocket comb and a leatherman.
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #13213
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,335
Hey Mtn Dawg
We'll see you down there, I should get there about the same time.
Rock Dawg
Old 11-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #13214
goodtimes
local bum

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ Beemer View Post
I am going to be in Tucson for work for two weeks, then I am riding out of Tucson on Thursday, November 15. I will be stopping and seeing some friends for dinner in Phoenix that evening, and continuing on.

Should I go north or west?

Anyone want to grab a beer while I am around for the next couple of weeks?

That all depends on what you want to do. The ride west of PHX pretty much sucks unless you need to get to LA (or the surrounding areas) in a hurry, IMO anyway. Long, flat, & strait. The ride heading north is even longer, but not flat or quite as strait - and definitely not as warm.

I'd be up for a beer sometime - what part of town are you in?
Old 11-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #13215
SQ Beemer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimes View Post
That all depends on what you want to do. The ride west of PHX pretty much sucks unless you need to get to LA (or the surrounding areas) in a hurry, IMO anyway. Long, flat, & strait. The ride heading north is even longer, but not flat or quite as strait - and definitely not as warm.

I'd be up for a beer sometime - what part of town are you in?
I have had the Grand Canyon on my mind. Haven't been there since I was 4 or 5 years old.

South area, pretty tame down here. I was considering switching to a hotel in the north part of town, but I'm not a diva about hotel rooms and enjoy saving a couple bucks. That reminds me, I should probably book my room. No flight or rental turd for this trip. :)
SQ Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote