ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #13231
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 3,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanhalen1985 View Post
Not really looking to buy new but it's certainly an option. I really like the idea of knowing where my bike's been instead of guessing about it's possibly abusive past.

I stopped by RideNow this past Sunday and looked a 2012 DR650. I really like the bike, (I prefer the sportiness of the DRZ400 but it's not passenger friendly). The sticker price is 5899 but they tell me they will work with me on the price. They will be getting the 2013 models very shortly which works nicely to my advantage. My question is, What would be the most I could reasonably ask for them to come off the price? I've never bought anything new and truly don't know where to start. Is asking them to drop 500 reasonable? They say they are aggressive about selling it to make room for the 2013's. Please give me some advice.
They may say they will work with you on the price but be wary of them trying to make up the difference else where. Come up with a price that is fair for both without trying to be too much of a cheap ass and stick with it. They tried to add a bunch of fees to a versys that I was interested in a couple of years ago (a left over 09 that was on sale) so I just left.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #13232
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Not really looking to buy new but it's certainly an option. I really like the idea of knowing where my bike's been instead of guessing about it's possibly abusive past.

I stopped by RideNow this past Sunday and looked a 2012 DR650. I really like the bike, (I prefer the sportiness of the DRZ400 but it's not passenger friendly). The sticker price is 5899 but they tell me they will work with me on the price. They will be getting the 2013 models very shortly which works nicely to my advantage. My question is, What would be the most I could reasonably ask for them to come off the price? I've never bought anything new and truly don't know where to start. Is asking them to drop 500 reasonable? They say they are aggressive about selling it to make room for the 2013's. Please give me some advice.
When you say "not passenger friendly", it depends on what you want to do. Me (145lb) and my GF (120lb) have ridden double up on the backside of lemmon (150 miles, half dirt) on a drz. If she's only going to ride once every 6 months, consider getting something you'll really be happy with. If it's going to be a somewhat frequent thing, then definitely get the dr- the drz is extremely cramped double up, but it does get the job done for infrequent use, or short ride use (say, less then 50 miles at a time). Just thought I would share my experience

“And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?” Pirsig
Drizzt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:06 AM   #13233
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,660
Quote:

Not sure how relevant this is, but last year when the 2012's were coming there were new 2011's selling for $4,999 at some places.

Personally, I think if you could get $500 off what you looked at, that's a pretty good deal. But, you could probably also find one used in excellent condition with low-mileage for about $3k.

Good luck . . . they're great bikes.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:20 AM   #13234
KIC
Proud Army Dad

Oddometer: 1,078
And... if you buy from SlimeNow..we will have to kick you out of the He Man Women Hating Rider's Club, and possibly ask you to leave town.

I would keep an eye open for a good clean used bike. Why be the one to live with the guilt of the first scratch ?

Quote:

1985 Yamaha YZ 250 - Sold
KIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:45 AM   #13235
Drizzt
Ranger

Quote:

Be extremely wary of buying form ride now. The few times I have been in there, they are a joke. DO NOT get any sort of extended warranty from them, they're "technicians" are a joke. I would never trust one of their monkey's to work on my bike.

Take a look at some other bike shops in town. Musselman, CSA, Sparks, ect. all come time mind. They seem a little more honest.

“And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?” Pirsig
Old 11-06-2012, 07:32 AM   #13236
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,262
I've bought twice from Ride Now on Ina. Both times they have quoted me very good, discounted, prices over the phone. They have been ready for me when I got there and the transaction has been quick and pleasant, I appreciate that kind of service.
I don't finance and the one time I tried to use them for service they couldn't get me in for three weeks, which I did not appreciate.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #13237
SQ Beemer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimes View Post
They don't let hooligans or white trash north of River Rd - so all the fun is on the south side.
HAHA - After spending some time here, I believe it. I'm staying at an airport hotel since it is near my Customer, and dining up north since that's where all the decent restaurants are. I head up there, even for lunch.

Will probably be grabbing a bite up there this evening. I will shoot you a PM.

If anyone else wants to meet a new ADVer from the LA area feel free to hit me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskasail View Post
Stick around until after the weekend and meet us up in Arivaca for the yearly (2nd) Outback. We'll do some riding around the back roads along the Mexican border, do some tech stuff and eat BBQ and sourdough pancakes on Sunday. I'm going to get another post up for that in a few minutes.

-
Wish I could. I will be riding around the Grand Canyon area Friday, and heading home through Vegas Saturday. I get real homesick when I travel for work so I'm kinda anxious to get back. Thanks for the invitation though!
SQ Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #13238
moparren
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
I had one of those "what are you riding?" conversations with a Ridenow sales guy once. I was riding an '84 Interceptor at the time. His response - "I'm not that into cruisers."

I've also had bad luck from the parts people in regards to not knowing their ass from a hole in the ground.

They wanted to charge a friend of mine assembly on a used bike they were selling.

This has all been at the east side store, maybe they have smarter guys at the Ina store, but in my experience they have been mostly ignorant and constantly looking for new nickel and dime charges to add on.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #13239
Vanhalen1985
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Thanks everyone for the advice. Upon second thought, I have decided to follow the advice of many of you and hold out for a lightly ridden used DR. If after a few weeks this appears fruitless then I will reconsider my bid for a new one. Just hate the idea of taking that new bike hit in depreciation.

The reason I've strayed away from the DRZ is due to its inability to carry a passenger with any comfort. If my girl was able to visit every 3-4 months do you think a jog through Reddington Pass or down to Tombstone and back would be torture on the 400? We both have the padded shorts for what that's worth.

As you can tell I've still yet to rule it out. A great deal on a DRZ would be very tempting
Vanhalen1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:16 PM   #13240
Drizzt
Ranger

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the advice. Upon second thought, I have decided to follow the advice of many of you and hold out for a lightly ridden used DR. If after a few weeks this appears fruitless then I will reconsider my bid for a new one. Just hate the idea of taking that new bike hit in depreciation.

The reason I've strayed away from the DRZ is due to its inability to carry a passenger with any comfort. If my girl was able to visit every 3-4 months do you think a jog through Reddington Pass or down to Tombstone and back would be torture on the 400? We both have the padded shorts for what that's worth.

As you can tell I've still yet to rule it out. A great deal on a DRZ would be very tempting
Jog through reddington, no problem. Tombstone, death. both your butts would be mince meat after a ride like that.

The thing with the drz is that with passenger you're (the operator) is up on the curved part of the seat (where it curves up on the tank), and they're on the back edge of the seat (almost on fender, which also makes the ride rough in the dirt). I dunno how a dr is though, so whether or not it's better or worse, I can't say. I can tell you that for a ride like tombstone, even solo the dr will be a much better tool for that job. The drz itself has no problems, but rider comfort sharply decreases on the road after a couple hours due to the horrible seat and high revs on the freeway. The dr's seat is wider and the motor just tractors down freeways.

If you just hit up reddington once every 4 months, probably not "torture", just not exactly ideal. If you aren't hitting up trails much worse then reddington though, the dr is going to be better. the drz is just a little easier to deal with in the rough stuff, like chiva falls or whatever.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #13241
sky_high
Honda XR 400

Oddometer: 5
Does anybody have a spare paddle tire I can barrow or buy? I am planing on taking my XR 400 out to Glamis over thanksgiving break! Rim size is 18, I only go out to the dunes once a year so if I can pick one up just for the weekend that would be great.

Skyler
sky_high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:06 AM   #13242
mergatroyd
Loser

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
Today is my friday, just got home. I'm trying to decide on a ride for tomorrow. I really want to do a 191-180 loop, but it's almost 600 miles in a day. Might be too much. That route you posted, is that going down mission? I've driven that road a lot, it's not in the best condition, is the road south of Sonoita worse?

I need to go get a DL1000 or F800GS, then a 600 mile day would be a piece of cake.
Sorry! I forgot that this forum doesn't automatically subscribe me to the thread.

I don't think I know this Mission road. I just started it at Google's version of Tucson and got off I-10 at AZ 83. Then I tried to find something interesting on the way back north so you weren't stuck on I-19. If you are up for more like 300 miles, you can go out Arivaca Rd. from just north of Nogales.

Last time I went from Canelo Rd. to Sonoita, there were some pretty big patches of broken road/gravel. On Tuesday I went from Canelo Rd. to Parker Canyon Lake. There were maybe two short patches of gravel on each side of the laned road (which was relatively decent on the DL1000), but there is only a few miles until the lane markings go away and it turns into 1-1.5 lanes wide bumpy chip seal. I remember it being worse on the Monster, but there were still some pretty big bumps and potholes. the edges of the pavement are kind of scary looking with maybe 6-8 inch drop off the chewed up side of the pavement.

I met a water tanker on my way in that was taking up better than half the road on the switchbacks toward the end.
mergatroyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:23 AM   #13243
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,381
RG tonight????

OK, off week, but who wants to do RG tonight? I would like to do a big bike ride tomorrow and we could make plans. Also, Emerson.Beautiful.Biguns, I could use to talk to you about the Grand Canyon section of the "Big Ride".

The Cardiac Kid!

HoosierTrailmaster screwed with this post 11-08-2012 at 09:49 AM
HoosierTrailmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #13244
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierTrailmaster View Post
OK, off week, but who wants to do RG tonight? I would like to do a big bike ride tomorrow and we could make plans. Also, Emerson.Beautiful.Biguns, I could use to talk to you about the Gran Canyon section of the "Big Ride".

The Cardiac Kid!
I might interested in a ride tomorrow. Let me know what you come up with. I'd be up for something in the 6 hour range tops and probably can't be on the road until ~7:30.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #13245
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:

Saw one on CL you might be interested in. PM sent.