ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #13516
AirCommando
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by im28702 View Post
So, I'm new to the site... Just picked up a cherry 2000 KTM 640 Adventure R. Got it in a trade, and I'm a sportbike guy so I'm not sure if I'll keep it or not, but I like it so far. Just gotta find some guys to ride with. I've taken it out a couple times this week, and keep finding myself going too fast. So... Riding with guys that actually know what the hell they are doing can't be a bad idea.

Just saying hello. Maybe I'll catch up with you guys at the Garter soon...

Welcome,

Nice ride. Your going to like the dirt, it is addictive.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #13517
bisbonian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
So, I'm new to the site... Just picked up a cherry 2000 KTM 640 Adventure R. Got it in a trade, and I'm a sportbike guy so I'm not sure if I'll keep it or not, but I like it so far. Just gotta find some guys to ride with. I've taken it out a couple times this week, and keep finding myself going too fast. So... Riding with guys that actually know what the hell they are doing can't be a bad idea.

Just saying hello. Maybe I'll catch up with you guys at the Garter soon...

Looks familiar:

Closing on a place in Tuscon tomorrow...

bisbonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #13518
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,034
Had fun in the dunes

As fine a place as any to break 33k miles

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things? Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #13519
im28702
I haz no0b

Oddometer: 18
Anything going on semi local this weekend? Id like to go play on the bike saturday. Still learning, still getting my feet wet. I had thought of riding out reddington or maybe up the back side of mt lemmon. My first thouggts were charleau or chiva falls but from reading they may not be trails to learn on. Ive wheeled them dozens of times in trucks, but i have near zero experience on a dirt bike. Im pretty good on a sportbike, but dont want to just jump right in over my head and hurt myself or the bike right out of the gate.

Suggestions?

2000 Corvette
2000 KTM 640 Adventure R
im28702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #13520
Guerillah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
I'd go ride with you but I'm in the process of acquiring a different bike since I sold my last one, something with a little more torque. What side of town you on anyways?
Guerillah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #13521
im28702
I haz no0b

I live at grant and silverbell.

2000 Corvette
2000 KTM 640 Adventure R
Old 02-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #13522
Guerillah
Gnarly Adventurer

Some of the rides on the north/northwest side of town aren't that bad. Tortolita Loop wasnt very hard when I was new, hardest part for me was sand washes until I got technique down. Waterman Mountain trail and Tiger Rd trail wasn't difficult either. I enjoyed all of them. You can check out the maps on dualsportmaps.com
Old 02-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #13523
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerillah View Post
I'd go ride with you but I'm in the process of acquiring a different bike since I sold my last one, something with a little more torque. What side of town you on anyways?
Selling the 250? What are you getting?
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #13524
Guerillah
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Selling the 250? What are you getting?
Yea it's gone, lost some money but oh well. The thing was a bit anemic at 300lb wet weight with 24hp, built more for daily commutes and fire road type rides rather than the more technical stuff I seem to enjoy more. Plan is to get something in the 450cc-500cc range when the right one pops up and go from there.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:46 PM   #13525
im28702
I haz no0b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerillah View Post
Some of the rides on the north/northwest side of town aren't that bad. Tortolita Loop wasnt very hard when I was new, hardest part for me was sand washes until I got technique down. Waterman Mountain trail and Tiger Rd trail wasn't difficult either. I enjoyed all of them. You can check out the maps on dualsportmaps.com
Cool. I will look there. Id still rather not go out alone, but i suppose if the trails arent that tough i will give it a go. I will look at that site for sure!!

Sent from my iPhone while on the run!!

2000 Corvette
2000 KTM 640 Adventure R
Old 02-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #13526
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,350
Quote:
Anything going on semi local this weekend? Id like to go play on the bike saturday. Still learning, still getting my feet wet. I had thought of riding out reddington or maybe up the back side of mt lemmon. My first thouggts were charleau or chiva falls but from reading they may not be trails to learn on. Ive wheeled them dozens of times in trucks, but i have near zero experience on a dirt bike. Im pretty good on a sportbike, but dont want to just jump right in over my head and hurt myself or the bike right out of the gate.

Suggestions?
I believe the back road up mt. lemmon is closed this time of year. Not sure if its motorcycle passable through where ever it's "closed" but the forest service is saying it's closed.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #13527
im28702
I haz no0b

Well then that rules that one out. I guess i will have to hit that in the spring.

2000 Corvette
2000 KTM 640 Adventure R
Old 02-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #13528
russbryant OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Well then that rules that one out. I guess i will have to hit that in the spring.

They close the road all the way up at the top. You can still ride up to where the snow from last week stops you and then turn back. Would still be a good ride.

Russ
russbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #13529
im28702
I haz no0b

Well, I looked around the dual sport maps site a bit and there are a lot of neat looking trails. I think I have decided that I will ride out Reddington to where it meets up with san Pedro, and evaluate from there if I want to head north, south or just turn back. May also take a peek at the entrance to Chiva and see how far I'm comfortable going.

Couple things made me decide this way.

One, it's looking like I will be alone, and there are always people out there, so if something happens, I should be able to find rescue fairly quickly. Plus, I'm guessing my cell will still work there if I need to phone a friend...

Two, I don't have a GPS (yet), and don't want to risk getting lost. I've been out to Chiva falls more times than I can count, so even if I make it that far out I will know where I am.

I'm thinking I will head that way around 10-ish so it has a chance to warm up a bit. If anyone is interested in joining the noob, post up and we can make arrangements. If no takers, no biggie, I'll try to remember to take pictures and post up...

2000 Corvette
2000 KTM 640 Adventure R
Old 02-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #13530
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 321
Quote:

Suggestions?
I'm planning a ride for Saturday that you can join. Was also thinking of going out on Reddington and then up to Mammoth and Sibley Mansion.

I'll post time and place to meet later.

Bob
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote