ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #13636
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
I have a question, I'm looking for tires recommendations, what do you guys recommend for a new-to-dirt rider on a DRZ, that's probably going to see 80/20-70/30 dirt/street?

I have heard a lot of good things about the Pirelli XCMH front with a TM II rear, except I've seen some reports that the TM will wear out in as little as 900-1,000 miles.

I've had recommendations for the K270 as a good dual sport tire, but not sure if that was front and rear, or just rear?

What about D606's? TKC80's? Michelin Deserts? I never realized how many DOT dirt tires there were out there. I thought street tires were bad.

I am thinking I am going to lean more toward a tires that's good in the dirt, because I'm not, and if I can trade some traction for longer life/better street manners in the long run then I will. I'm just looking for a place to start. I used to run Dunlops on mt SM and Michelin on my GSXR for the track, but it seems like no one really recommends those brands for DS riding.

Thank you for your input, and sorry to ask it here, but I figured since I'm in Tucson, and will be riding in Tucson, I should ask Tucson riders what works best for our area.
No doubt - Pirelli MT 43 in the rear - I have tried most of the others but for off road traction it is tops - doesn't look cool without the big knobs - but out performs the poser tires - and is DOT approved with a 90 MPH rating - I am getting about 2500 miles out of the tire.

The front - I run the Pirelli MT 21 - not that much of a fan but it works.
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:15 PM   #13637
yzfcathy
Weeble

Oddometer: 1,184
Heideneau K60

I wonder if the Heideneau (sp) K60 comes in your size. They wear like iron and get ok dirt traction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
I have a question, I'm looking for tires recommendations, what do you guys recommend for a new-to-dirt rider on a DRZ, that's probably going to see 80/20-70/30 dirt/street?

I have heard a lot of good things about the Pirelli XCMH front with a TM II rear, except I've seen some reports that the TM will wear out in as little as 900-1,000 miles.

I've had recommendations for the K270 as a good dual sport tire, but not sure if that was front and rear, or just rear?

What about D606's? TKC80's? Michelin Deserts? I never realized how many DOT dirt tires there were out there. I thought street tires were bad.

I am thinking I am going to lean more toward a tires that's good in the dirt, because I'm not, and if I can trade some traction for longer life/better street manners in the long run then I will. I'm just looking for a place to start. I used to run Dunlops on mt SM and Michelin on my GSXR for the track, but it seems like no one really recommends those brands for DS riding.

Thank you for your input, and sorry to ask it here, but I figured since I'm in Tucson, and will be riding in Tucson, I should ask Tucson riders what works best for our area.
Cathy's Dumb Solo Ride
The John Penton Story, Movie project
yzfcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #13638
yzfcathy
Weeble

Classic....what?

Sheez Emo, where do you find this stuff?

Don't answer that. I am sure knowing would scar me for life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson.biguns View Post
Reminds me of a classic.

Note to self, never attempt a stunt that involves the warning "hold your sack up."

Cathy's Dumb Solo Ride
Old 04-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #13639
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfcathy View Post
Sheez Emo, where do you find this stuff?

Don't answer that. I am sure knowing would scar me for life.
I can't embed this one but it's a little more G rated.

http://www.todaysbigfail.com/view/20...-bottle-rocket

Don't know why these other guys are trying to discuss motorcycle tires.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #13640
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,032
My recommendation for tires would have to be the Maxxis Desert IT's. Wear like iron, good traction in the dirt, don't howl like the d606 rear. Just my .02

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things? Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #13641
jsonder
Tired Old Fart

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLUSION View Post
PLANNING TO RIDE THE CORONADO TRAIL, AKA HWY 191, AKA THE DEVIL'S ROPE. Leaving Phx at 0400 heading for Eagar riding US60 east through Salt River Canyon, Show Low and into Eagar by 1000 hopefully. Then it is on to the Rope and into Morenci. Then back through Safford and on to Mesa. Somewhere along the way I will likely camp Sunday night.
So...Anyone feel like riding some slab? Should be epic scenery! OOPS DATES ARE 03/14-03/15
It's gonna be chilly up high. I've ridden it at the end of May and in early June.

I don't think I'd want to go before May 15th.
jsonder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:02 AM   #13642
Dograt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Dual Sport tires

I have had really good luck with the Kenda 270 series. Really good life and OK on the street. Just put a new Shinko (Korean) 700 series tire on the rear, after 5000 miles on a Kenda 270. On a short ride it seems OK but time will tell. The prices are good compared to the Dunlops, etc. As to the Heidenhaur, on my son's Super T, it went away after 1300 miles 50/50 Big Bend dirt and back to Austin on the rural roads. He liked the traction but was not happy with the life, or the cost.
Dograt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:07 AM   #13643
Dograt
Adventurer

A-1 Fab just off Country Club and just south of Ajo has one of the best welders. Gary by name.
JWI
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXVERT View Post
I busted a mounting tab off of the aluminum skid plate on my
KTM 690.
Can anyone recommend someone who can weld it back on ?

Max
Old 04-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #13644
Dograt
Adventurer

Question Guzzi Stelvio

Any body in the area have any comments on the Guzzi Stelvio? Renaissance Motors on Speedway has a new one available that I am interested in, but have no experience with the model or for that matter the manufacturer. Thanks for any comments.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #13645
jsonder
Tired Old Fart

Oddometer: 510
Fun morning in the Santa Ritas.

jsonder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #13646
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt View Post
My recommendation for tires would have to be the Maxxis Desert IT's. Wear like iron, good traction in the dirt, don't howl like the d606 rear. Just my .02
I'll check those out, they look good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfcathy View Post
I wonder if the Heideneau (sp) K60 comes in your size. They wear like iron and get ok dirt traction.
Doesn't look like it, plus they're pricey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman1 View Post
No doubt - Pirelli MT 43 in the rear - I have tried most of the others but for off road traction it is tops - doesn't look cool without the big knobs - but out performs the poser tires - and is DOT approved with a 90 MPH rating - I am getting about 2500 miles out of the tire.

The front - I run the Pirelli MT 21 - not that much of a fan but it works.
That is a unique looking tire. I'll have to check it out, but I admit, I might need to get a little poser action going, I like the look of the giant knobbies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dograt View Post
I have had really good luck with the Kenda 270 series. Really good life and OK on the street. Just put a new Shinko (Korean) 700 series tire on the rear, after 5000 miles on a Kenda 270. On a short ride it seems OK but time will tell. The prices are good compared to the Dunlops, etc. As to the Heidenhaur, on my son's Super T, it went away after 1300 miles 50/50 Big Bend dirt and back to Austin on the rural roads. He liked the traction but was not happy with the life, or the cost.
5,000? Wow, that a lot of miles out of a rear tire. I'll keep those in mind, it would be nice to get that kind of life out of a tire without sacrificing too much dirt ability.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #13647
russbryant OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,028
So today is the 3rd Thursday of the month...is anybody going to the Red Garter? Last time I went nobody showed up. I'll still be bikeless but will at least be able to talk about the bike I just bought that is still in California

Anybody planning to go to the Overland Expo this year? I'm sure goodtimes will be there, anyone else. If I get my bike in time I'll try to make it.

Russ
russbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #13648
yzfcathy
Weeble

Maybe's

I sent a note to Skip about RG tonight. If he's IN I'm IN.
Cathy's Dumb Solo Ride
Old 04-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #13649
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,948
I went with the Trackmasters, we'll see how they do, if they suck it was only $150.

I went on a little 100 mile ride yesterday, from Continental Ranch area up to Sasco Mine and back, mostly dirt roads, with a little two track thrown in for good measure. Here are a couple pics:

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #13650
yzfcathy
Weeble

Rg. In

Better late than never, just got home. Headed to RG NOW
Cathy's Dumb Solo Ride