ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #13726
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnadenlos View Post
I've finally made it to sunny Tucson, AZ - been here 4 days now...

Yes, another California transplant - Nice to be here, Thanks!

Looking forward to any Sunday/Monday rides - I work on Saturdays. (hikes and other outdoor activities are cool too...)

Any tips on sealing a swamp cooler pan... I've been scrubbing rust all day long and want to try to seal the leak before replacement of the unit!

Looking forward to meeting new people and riders!

See ya on the Trails!

try a product called sub sealer. it's like thin tar and you paint it on with a throw away paint brush.

and welcome to arizona!

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:22 AM   #13727
gnadenlos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Thanks!

Thanks for the tips! I'll check both the sealer and food shack out...
Old 05-17-2013, 07:10 AM   #13728
NewtAZ
"did you say tacos?"

Oddometer: 39
Child Friendly Dual Sport Rides

Some people think i'm a bit crazy to ride with my son on the back of my bike. I have taken short paved rides with him on the back of my 990ADV. now you call me a bad parent but im looking to take him on some off pavement rides also. What in the Tucson area would you recommend for easy dirt road/trails to take him on? i was thinking maybe the back side of Mt. Lemmon or Reddington pass might be a good area to start.
NewtAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #13729
Fastphil38
AZ Offroad

Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtAZ View Post
Some people think i'm a bit crazy to ride with my son on the back of my bike. I have taken short paved rides with him on the back of my 990ADV. now you call me a bad parent but im looking to take him on some off pavement rides also. What in the Tucson area would you recommend for easy dirt road/trails to take him on? i was thinking maybe the back side of Mt. Lemmon or Reddington pass might be a good area to start.
Backside of Mt Lemmon would be a good loop have lunch @ the sawmill and you can come down on the pavement, I would be careful with reddington pass the road is fine but once you go off the main road the Reddington Rocks are everywhere and might not be the best two up area. Ride On! Phil
Old 05-17-2013, 12:42 PM   #13730
NewtAZ
"did you say tacos?"

I have been up in the Reddington Pass area before on my KDX 200 but not the 990...so because i didnt have to work today I took a solo trip out there on the 990. it was a lot of fun even on the big bike. ended up in Benson. I wanted to run it again in reverse or head up the San Manuel way but had to slab it home on the 10 to pick the kid up from school on time. I agree it probably isnt the best for 2 up. and i probably wont take the kiddo out that way. but i think if i went slower than what i did today a passenger would be fine. I would just have to bring alot of snacks and take a bunch of rest stops.

Few pics below....

Do any of you ride with your kids?
Old 05-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #13731
Fastphil38
AZ Offroad

Oddometer: 461
Quote:
I have been up in the Reddington Pass area before on my KDX 200 but not the 990...so because i didnt have to work today I took a solo trip out there on the 990. it was a lot of fun even on the big bike. ended up in Benson. I wanted to run it again in reverse or head up the San Manuel way but had to slab it home on the 10 to pick the kid up from school on time. I agree it probably isnt the best for 2 up. and i probably wont take the kiddo out that way. but i think if i went slower than what i did today a passenger would be fine. I would just have to bring alot of snacks and take a bunch of rest stops.

Few pics below....

Sweet Moto!
Old 05-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #13732
Mr. NoMoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:

I was looking at your pics and started wondering... Did you just pick that 990 from Performance cycles?
Mr. NoMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:07 AM   #13733
NewtAZ
"did you say tacos?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NoMoto View Post
I was looking at your pics and started wondering... Did you just pick that 990 from Performance cycles?
yes i did. they were easy to work with. I gave them a check , they gave me a bike.

i had debated waiting for the newer model, but i wanted a new bike now not later. I recently moved to the Tucson area (Sahuarita). I got tired of riding down a nice road on my CBR and having the road turn to dirt. I also got my KDX plated but 2-strokes and paved distance = smoked tires.

im pretty happy so far with the bike. i was shocked when i heard KTM would be discontinuing them.

I think the best part of the bike is it really can do all types of riding. It may not be as fast as a sport bike, or rip it up on the tight trails like a smaller dirt bike, but if ridden correctly i can still take it a lot more places that i thought.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #13734
Mr. NoMoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Ha! Then we have met. I was actually there while you were talking to Bruce about it. You guys were going in to talk about the numbers when I left. Glad you're liking the bike! Can't go too wrong with KTM. Yeah, I've seen 990's in places that I wouldn't want to take a big bike.

I haven't seen much in the way of rides posted lately, but I'm looking to get out on Saturdays. Like Fastphil was saying Reddington pass and the backside of Mt Lemmon would be a great loop on the 990.

Mr. NoMoto screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 04:13 PM
Mr. NoMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #13735
NewtAZ
"did you say tacos?"

I took the kiddo up to the whipple observatory. the road past the observatory turns to dirt but we continued onward anyways. HE did really good for his first time on dirt. We made it about 9.5 Km up the dirt road, before the kid started to get tired. so we turned around and headed back down to get some lunch. When we got home i looked on google maps and I guess you cant go all the way to the top because there is a gate. having a gate really sucks, i was planning on re-doing the ride again on monday when he was in school to check out the views.

Few pics from todays ride.

the views were amazing
Old 05-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #13736
Low Down
ADV Misfit

Oddometer: 818
If I had to have that Hi-Vis shit right up in my face, I'd be tired too....

Low Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #13737
Hucker
Lost

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
*snip*
Few pics below....

We passed you headed in the opposite direction that morning. I was on a white F800GS and the guy I was traveling with was on a KTM 690R. That is a nice route.

And yes, I ride with my 6 and 7 year olds regularly. I use this riding belt. Works well when they get tired. When off road, you can't stand up, obviously.
Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #13738
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,087
Fyi

noticed the other day that cycle gear has started to carry "Kid specific " gear, while probably not as good as the current adult brand

name gear at least it there offering protection for the little buggers.

And without a doubt,they feel pretty special in their "own" gear plus you get up for caring enough to help protect them.

Besides it's never too early to begin ATGATT

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #13739
KIC
Proud Army Dad

Oddometer: 1,080
Hey guys... this was posted on another forum, and I thought it might be interesting and informative to the new guys on the block.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the message that was posted:
I've gotten a number of PM's, phone calls etc regarding the whole AZ off-road sticker program. I just spent a few hours at MVD today dealing with reg another KLR and going thru this so I thought I'd review... Also, while I was at Overland Expo last weekend Game and Fish was out with their Ambassador Trailer to help educate the public regarding offroad riding here in Az. I used to be an official "Ambassador" a few years ago and recognized a couple of the rangers so I spent some time catching up and reviewing OHV here in AZ.

The Off-Highway vehicle sticker program aka OHV sticker program falls under the Az Game and Fish but is administered by Az MVD. Here is a link to Game and Fish to answer all your questions regarding the OHV sticker program itself.

http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/ohvFAQ.shtml

What I'm going to cover is the admin side at MVD and how to navigate thru this state agency. When the program first rolled out a number of years ago MVD was pretty knowledgeable in its understanding but after my experience today that seems to have changed. Rangers also confirmed what I experienced while at MVD.

If you plan on riding offroad in Az you'll end up on State Trust Land and you better be prepared to show a daily pass or have a current OHV sticker on your plate. Fines for not having one or the other is pretty steep and Game and Fish is strictly enforcing compliance. There is no gray area as far as they are concerned. That said there are some advantages for you to participate in the OHV sticker program. Primarily, the OHV monies are set aside for OHV usage only for such things as staging area's, bathrooms, etc for offroad riders. The other is potentially reducing your annual vehicle registration substantially.

When you go to MVD and apply for a OHV sticker the counter person should hand you a piece of paper to fill out. On this paper you are stating/choosing one of three scenario's for your vehicle usage; Strictly Off Highway, Primarily Off-Highway but Street legal and Primarily Street but used Off-Highway.

My counter person did not hand me the paper to fill out/sign and proceeded to process my street registration and OHV sticker. She handed me my OHV sticker and new registrationlic sticker and stated my total was $174. I knew this was wrong and stated I wanted to register/lic for street and obtain my OHV sticker under primarily off-highway but street legal. She had no idea what I was speaking about. She talked with 5 other counter people and folks behind desks and returned stating no one had ever heard of what I was speaking about. I asked for a manager. I explained the situation/ OHV program and she knew immediately what I wanted. A few minutes later my total was reduced to $25 for OHV sticker and $4.50 for street lic/registration.

What happened is the counter person processed me as primarily street but off-highway legal. Doing this you pay your normal lic/reg fee's then pay $25 for the OHV sticker. Selecting the primarily off-highway but street legal your lic/reg fee's are reduced to $4.50 or thereabout.

The manager stated that management had just recently reviewed/trained on this program and stated that counter folks do not do enough of these to familiarize themselves on how to process correctly. I asked her if the program still allowed current street lic/reg vehicles who want to obtain an OHV sticker and change to Primarily off-highway can do so and receive a refund for their reg/lic fee's. She said yes and pulled out a sheet of paper that had percentages for prorated amounts for refunds depending on time left before renewal date.

Finally, the MVD person will confirm that your vehicle meets all of the following to be eligible for this program;

---Quote---
Arizona Law requires all vehicles used off highway and meeting the criteria listed below to display an off-highway vehicle decal.

Criteria (All three requirements must be met.):

The vehicle is designed by the manufacturer primarily for travel over unimproved terrain.
The vehicle has an unladen weight of eighteen hundred pounds or less.
The vehicle has been issued an Arizona license plate.
---End Quote---
1985 Yamaha YZ 250 - Sold
KIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #13740
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
I can confirm. Been doing this for years now, ever since the ohv program came out, even before it was required. I figured the money went to a good place, so I got the sticker even though I didn't need it. Now they've made it so that I do need it, but with the registration discounts, it's still very worth it to me.

Even though I can legally ride on the road, I seldom do, so it makes sense that they would reduce the registration fees.

I love the program so far!

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote