ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #13771
Low Down
ADV Misfit

Oddometer: 840
Forgot to add that I may be able to throw a suggestion your way once I know where you're riding from.
Low Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #13772
snailrider
Prostpector

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
So apparently I screwed up. I registered my DRZ as straight on-road. I didn't know this ohv registration existed. Can the contract offices correct my mistake and issue a refund? Or am I going to have to go back to the DMV to get it swapped over to primary ohv but street legal?
The OHV sticker is for parks and rec riding, and is in addition to your regular registration. You want to be able to ride the streets. I you go primary off road on the OHV, you cannot drive on the paved roads within the parks etc.

The primary off road would be for your quad or similar non road use toys, that you do not have street legal or carry insurance for the road etc. You cannot drive them on any roads legally, even in the OHV designated paved roads.
snailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #13773
Low Down
ADV Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by snailrider View Post
The OHV sticker is for parks and rec riding, and is in addition to your regular registration. You want to be able to ride the streets. I you go primary off road on the OHV, you cannot drive on the paved roads within the parks etc.

The primary off road would be for your quad or similar non road use toys, that you do not have street legal or carry insurance for the road etc. You cannot drive them on any roads legally, even in the OHV designated paved roads.
Whoa... You need to get this straight. If a rider elects primarily off road, you can still use your OHV on street legal roads - provided you meet the DOT regulations... and when you elect such you are also stating that the vehicle you use will be compliant to the DOT regs.

My WR450 is street legal with an OHV tag, I elected 'primarily off road', and I have yet to have an issue riding where I want. My bike was anything but street legal when I bought it, and after I threw a few things on it, the WR was good to go.

Anyone who needs to clarify really needs to do their homework before tossing BS out on an open forum.... no need to confuse more inmates than necessary. Google really can be your friend in this respect... really!

Old 05-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #13774
snailrider
Prostpector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Down View Post
Whoa... You need to get this straight. If a rider elects primarily off road, you can still use your OHV on street legal roads - provided you meet the DOT regulations... and when you elect such you are also stating that the vehicle you use will be compliant to the DOT regs.

My WR450 is street legal with an OHV tag, I elected 'primarily off road', and I have yet to have an issue riding where I want. My bike was anything but street legal when I bought it, and after I threw a few things on it, the WR was good to go.

Anyone who needs to clarify really needs to do their homework before tossing BS out on an open forum.... no need to confuse more inmates than necessary. Google really can be your friend in this respect... really!

Well talking to fish and game and going to the MVD, besides trying to navigate both websites, is enough homework for me. Take your chances, I just did this last week, and trust me when I say: I am aware of due diligence.

But you my friend accused me of what you are guilty of, not doing your homework.

snailrider screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 08:36 PM
Old 05-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #13775
Low Down
ADV Misfit

http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/ohvFAQ.shtml

http://azstateparks.com/ohv/rules.html

https://servicearizona.com/webapp/offhighway/decal/info

Like I said... google... easy-peasy.

You (and others) would do well reading up on this shit.

Good luck!

Old 05-26-2013, 08:48 PM   #13776
snailrider
Prostpector

I also asked how it applied to out of state riders visiting me
Old 05-26-2013, 08:57 PM   #13777
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
Primarily off road is exactly that. PRIMARILY off road. Not exclusively off road. You can still ride on road legally.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #13778
Low Down
ADV Misfit

Eek

Are there any OHV Decal exceptions?

• A person may operate an all-terrain vehicle or an off-highway vehicle in Arizona without an off-highway vehicle user indicia (OHV Decal) if any of the following applies:
    • The person is participating in an off-highway special event.
    • The person is operating an all-terrain vehicle or off-highway vehicle on private land.
    • The person is loading or unloading an all-terrain vehicle or off-highway vehicle from a vehicle.
    • During a period of emergency of if the operation is directed by a peace officer or other public authority.
    • All of the following apply for non-residents
      • The person is not a resident of Arizona - and -
      • The person owns the vehicle - and -
      • The vehicle diplays a current off-highway vehicle user indicia (sticker/decal) or registration (license plate) from the person's state of residency - and -
      • The vehicle is not in Arizona for more than 30 consecutive days.

From here:

Old 05-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #13779
snailrider
Prostpector

Been there, done that, and for clarification I picked up the phone and had them explain the contradictory information I received, from their sites. AND, the rules are changing daily, even as to how you renew yearly.

You can armchair quarterback all you want, I got down in the trenches with these people. I did so because I listened to people like you, and some others and nobody seemed to really know and understand how it worked, including those who were doing the paperwork.

And I, just having my new bike, and not wishing to have it impounded, made DAMN SURE I knew the skinny. And that meant reading the website and getting clarifications. A bit more detailed than just assuming I knew what they were trying to say on a web page designed by the lowest bidder.

And anybody else reading here, I would highly recommend doing your own research. But ask people close to the laws, not people who may never have to deal with the headache should you get it wrong. Because I almost took advice like given here, and that may or may not pan out with a ranger who was hell bent on making your day bad.

The OHV sticker can be applied for with or without having your vehicle registered for road use, what box you choose does matter. If you choose off road, you do not have permission to ride on the parks roads, and you can take that to the bank or court or wherever you go to fight your ticket.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #13780
Low Down
ADV Misfit

Quote:
I also asked how it applied to out of state riders visiting me
Maybe you should tell them to do a little research on the places they want to visit so they're in the loop with what's what... sound like a reasonable and prudent thing to do, yeah?

Old 05-26-2013, 09:06 PM   #13781
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
Been there, done that, and for clarification I picked up the phone and had them explain the contradictory information I received, from their sites. AND, the rules are changing daily, even as to how you renew yearly.

You can armchair quarterback all you want, I got down in the trenches with these people. I did so because I listened to people like you, and some others and nobody seemed to really know and understand how it worked, including those who were doing the paperwork.

And I, just having my new bike, and not wishing to have it impounded, made DAMN SURE I knew the skinny. And that meant reading the website and getting clarifications. A bit more detailed than just assuming I knew what they were trying to say on a web page designed by the lowest bidder.

And anybody else reading here, I would highly recommend doing your own research. But ask people close to the laws, not people who may never have to deal with the headache should you get it wrong. Because I almost took advice like given here, and that may or may not pan out with a ranger who was hell bent on making your day bad.

The OHV sticker can be applied for with or without having your vehicle registered for road use, what box you choose does matter. If you choose off road, you do not have permission to ride on the parks roads, and you can take that to the bank or court or wherever you go to fight your ticket.
Dude, if your bike is street registered, plus has an ohv sticker, you are good on and off road, regardless if its primarily off road or not. Primarily off road just gets you the discount on the registration fees.

I'm done.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #13782
Low Down
ADV Misfit

Quote:

What 'parks roads'?
Old 05-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #13783
snailrider
Prostpector

Quote:
Are there any OHV Decal exceptions?

• A person may operate an all-terrain vehicle or an off-highway vehicle in Arizona without an off-highway vehicle user indicia (OHV Decal) if any of the following applies:
    • The person is participating in an off-highway special event.
    • The person is operating an all-terrain vehicle or off-highway vehicle on private land.
    • The person is loading or unloading an all-terrain vehicle or off-highway vehicle from a vehicle.
    • During a period of emergency of if the operation is directed by a peace officer or other public authority.
    • All of the following apply for non-residents
      • The person is not a resident of Arizona - and -
      • The person owns the vehicle - and -
      • The vehicle diplays a current off-highway vehicle user indicia (sticker/decal) or registration (license plate) from the person's state of residency - and -
      • The vehicle is not in Arizona for more than 30 consecutive days.

From here:

So if your friend from out of state comes to visit, or you are just passing though--on your street legal motorcycle or truck, you do not need an OHV in AZ. But you should get one in your own state anyway, even though Arizona don't require it.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #13784
snailrider
Prostpector

Quote:
What 'parks roads'?
Old 05-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #13785
Low Down
ADV Misfit

Quote:
So if your friend from out of state comes to visit, or you are just passing though--on your street legal motorcycle or truck, you do not need an OHV in AZ. But you should get one in your own state anyway, even though Arizona don't require it.

Dood, you're diggin' way deeper than you need to, and you're not reaping the benefit because of it...