ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #13801
Low Down
ADV Misfit

Oddometer: 813
Nice pic, John!

And Russ... when you get the bike let's set up a time to get together. It would be great to catch up, and I'd like to see the 'new' scoot.
Low Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #13802
Mr. NoMoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonder View Post
I left about 6:20 this morning for a short ride in the Santa Ritas.

You don't see that everyday. Nice picture!
Mr. NoMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #13803
russbryant OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Down View Post
Nice pic, John!

And Russ... when you get the bike let's set up a time to get together. It would be great to catch up, and I'd like to see the 'new' scoot.
Absolutely

Russ
russbryant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #13804
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
Wow, that's a great sighting! I love seeing the wildlife. Thanks for sharing!

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #13805
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELSTAFF View Post
Not to throw any more chit in the game but, I would like to know what it was you were hunting in "DOWNTOWN FLAGSTAFF"

Lets see how you splain that one Lucy
Supplies!

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #13806
Dave JP
BRP Rider

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Down View Post

My WR450 is street legal with an OHV tag, I elected 'primarily off road', and I have yet to have an issue riding where I want. My bike was anything but street legal when I bought it, and after I threw a few things on it, the WR was good to go.
LD:

Right on! Welcome back to dirt scoots!

Dave
Dave JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #13807
Low Down
ADV Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave JP View Post
LD:

Right on! Welcome back to dirt scoots!

Dave

Thank you, brother! It's been real fun so far... and I can't believe how much I've missed it.

Anytime you want to pencil in a ride, let me know. Jason asked about you and would like to hook up wit ya as well. He's out working, but hopefully he will be back in a month or two.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #13808
Low Down
ADV Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by russbryant View Post
Absolutely

Russ
Right on!! Let me know...
Old 05-31-2013, 12:35 AM   #13809
erbemone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Thanks Jeff for the much needed clarification.

Bemer
erbemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:38 AM   #13810
erbemone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Who's eating crow soup this weekend?

Bemer
erbemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:45 AM   #13811
Low Down
ADV Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbemone View Post
Who's eating crow soup this weekend?
snailrider...

Old 05-31-2013, 09:12 AM   #13812
KIC
Proud Army Dad

Oddometer: 1,080
The one issue that isn't addressed and could use some clarification, and my memory is foggy so I won't try to use the actual names, but there are two different types of forest type roads; one has the numbers horizontally, which does not require the OHV sticker to be ridden on if the bike is legally licensed etc. The other has the road numbers vertically that I understand that the vehicles must have the OHV sticker. Any update on that ?
1985 Yamaha YZ 250 - Sold
KIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:15 AM   #13813
snailrider
Prostpector

Oddometer: 143

If you have a street legal dual purpose bike, this is what you will check for the application.

If you wish to drive on the roads with your primarily off road vehicle, you must meet more standards and then check the middle one. This does not give you license to drive on the regular streets, only the roads within the boundaries of the lands which are not the regular roads. If you check this one with your Street legal vehicle, no big deal.

If you check the first one, you are swearing that your bike meets the requirements to be off road only, and that means you are not legal for the streets anywhere PERIOD. You are swearing that you will not drive on the streets or roads. This includes the maintained roads within the areas where you need the OHV sticker.

I saw some reasons why an how these laws and regulations all came about, for the purpose etc, yada, yada, yada.

The reason this is required is because punk ass pricks went around with loud obnoxious vehicles, disrespecting the land and other who use the lands. The same type jackassses who chop the saguaro and start fires that burn down the terrain. They cut fences and trespass. The break things, destroy the natural landscape, thus creating more erosion. They leave trash. If they did not do this, the law would not be needed and we would not have to pay to have people make sure they quit acting like a self centered jackass's.

Exercise a bit of responsibility, put your damn spark arrestors back in, it is not cool. You may think you can handle your bike perfectly well with the "for off road use only" tires on the highway, but statistics prove you are wrong.

If you are going to break the law, KEEP YOUR TRAP SHUT! I don't want to hear about it.

And if you think because you have an OHV on your Gold Wing, that you are legal to drive the OHV trails, you would also be mistaken. Just because you perjure yourself, does not make it legal.
snailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:02 PM   #13814
snailrider
Prostpector

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstateParksOHV View Post
The quote below is completely wrong. Also, there is no such thing as "parks and rec riding".
For dirt bikes, quads, & UTV/ROVs...
RV Plate + OHV Decal = Dirt only
MC Plate + Insurance = street only
MC Plate + Insurance + OHV Decal = street and dirt

For factory dual sports....
MC Plate + Insurance = street & dirt
MC Plate + Insurance + OHV decal = street & dirt, with a nice savings on your registration fees.

For passenger cars, SUVs, jeeps, etc...
standard registration, license plate, and insurance = street & dirt

I don't write the laws, I just have to follow them :)
Well, it sounds like you need to get your message across to the rest of those who answer the phones.

And you can take this next statement to the bank with you. I appreciate you being here to clarify. I however over the many years have learned that what one bureaucratic person says, vs what is truth varies. I have been in that pickle with DMV before, and I am sure if I take the advice here, I may most likely be ok.

Make no mistake about this. People have taken the advice of the experts only to find themselves in a pickle. And it is a major headache fixing those issues.

Some prime examples are letting law enforcement trample your rights. Don't believe me, go check out Youtube, and you will find thousands of videos of police who "only enforce the laws" getting the law wrong. Then they use that position of power to bully and torment the unsuspecting.

It still all comes down to one thing, and that is respect for others and the land, animals and property.

But since we have your ear, please clarify the form I posted. There are some discrepancies, and maybe you can take that to your higher ups and get it fixed.

I got my sticker, I paid my fees and taxes and have been granted permission to ride in the designated areas. And Like you Jeff, I want to do it right, and also be able to give advise to those who need it, and expose the troublemakers. This will insure the good will towards the rest of the community and thus no objections or further restraints on a great adventure ride.

And the way I see it, there is no crow on my plate for the weekend
Old 05-31-2013, 12:17 PM   #13815
snailrider
Prostpector

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstateParksOHV View Post
This is not true. You can street legal + OHV your quad, RZR, dirtbike and drive paved roads in town unless there is a state or local ordinance prohibiting such. Now, you are not going to cruise I-10 on a RZR, but it is perfectly allowable to do so in town if your vehichle has DOT tires and other equipment specificed for on highway travel (mirrors, brake light, signals, etc).

Further, an OHV with an RV plate + OHV decal is allowed to use connecting roads to access trail experience. This does not allow you to drive from Phoenix to Florence Juntion on slab, but it does allow you to use connecting roads if you staged to access a trail and then have to use short hops to connect routes. The Florence Junction/Middle Gila area is a perfect example of this situation. You roll out there and stage on BLM or State Trust Land. If you ride Cottonwood Canyon Road...guess what, that is a street legal road, though it is dirt. It is the primary road for accessing all of the cool trails out there. Do you need insurance for rolling on official roads...YES. Even if you don't need insurance, it would be wise to carry it in case of an accident. I'de hate to be uninsured on a RV+OHV registration if a collision happend, but that is a personal choice.
I'm sorry Jeff, if you swear to exclusively off road use, that is what you swear to. So again, maybe you need to speak with your superiors and make the form less ambiguous and contradictory.

And again, you may mean well, but you are not the final say. Especially when the ones writing the ticket see it the other way, and when the courts see it the other way.

And quit tap dancing. If you have the DOT tires, mirrors etc, you would check the middle box, not exclusively off road. Then, however you must carry the insurance, because if you hit me on my bike, while I'm on the road, I'm going to be pretty pissed off if you don't. An AZdot has say in this also. IT IS THE LAW!

If you drive on the roads, you must have registration and insurance, that is a state law which cannot be usurped by city or blm or any other sub bureaucracy. (maybe the reservation)

I have asked about the quad with the MC plate. Another topic I was in mentioned the Elio three wheeler that is enclosed. That is register by law as a motorcycle. AZ is wrong in registering a quad as a motorcycle. If some out of state rich lawyer was in an accident involving such quad, the state would soon find out about the mis-designation of a quad as a motorcycle.

So in summary, even the people who are in the position of power get things wrong. So just because you work there, does not give you unchallengeable righteousness. I do appreciate the work you do and your quest for knowledge, and hopefully you are the link between man and government

snailrider screwed with this post 05-31-2013 at 12:30 PM