ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #13981
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman1 View Post
Retired from 35 years as EE at the missile factory.

What branch of engineering?
Sorry for super late response, life has been hectic. I'm doing Mechanical. I like all kinds of engineering but ME is the best fit for me, the others didn't turn my crank so to speak

And yes, fantasy island is some of the easiest mountain biking there is. Of course, after some rains the sections that go into and out of washes get rutted to oblivion, so watch your speed on those, especially with a hardtail

“And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?” Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #13982
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Oddometer: 241
just for funzies

So i picked up my 91 DiRt350 on a craigslist find a few months back. Looked pretty patchy with spray painted plastic tank, and a really original color scheme of red and black all over. A few farkles, this and thats. Titled as a DR350s. Dunno how that happened, but the VINs match..
Handy to have the dirt model street legal.

Initial test run - started right up, went through the gears, carb well tuned. Nice - got it for 500, a steal right?

After awhile I noticed that it was impossible to get an oil reading. P.O. Had added an quart and a half at least. Beyond the full 2 quarts already in. Must not have known about how to check oil. Said something about only owning a few months, owner before him raced it..
Once I got her hot enough, she filled my air hose, carb, engine and exhaust with oil. That was fun.
Drained all the oil, put in the right amount.

A friend borrowed the bike for a day.
Added an extra quart and a half of oil since he couldn't get a reading either. Sigh.

Things sounding funny, lots of rattle noises in the top end. I decided no more riding it until we dig deeper, and dig we did! Found the valve clearance to be around a half inch on both sides. Yes, .5 inch, not the ~ .005 recommended.. Odd, but we snugged them up, buttoned it together and found it ran a little quieter. Somewhat..

Then the kick start return spring stopped working. Great - kick it then bring that lever up manually before it pops up and smacks something. Wait, what's that crunchy noise?

Okok, off with the clutch cover, let's take a look.
Hey! There's a bunch of pieces of metal lodged under the shifter spring. Oh boy - they're teeth! 13 so far.. And a little piece of... Spring! Ok, the spring goes to the.. Kick starter. Which probably broke because of interference with gear teeth. The gear teeth go to the... Oil pump!

Then there's an 8mm (ID) washer just sitting near the crankshaft, chilling, looking for a home. Also two bolts, also 8mm, one with a shaft before the thread.. Other just a hex head and threads. First bolt found to belong to the shift drum. Haven't found a home for the second bolt yet, but in the process of digging deeper to look, I found that the clutch basket nut was loose, the keeper washer was flat, and I literally took the clutch nut off by hand, no tools.
Then I took of the crankshaft nut by hand since it was loose also. Oh look! There's slack in the timing chain too!

What a bike! It actually ran pretty good under these conditions!

So now I'm figuring if there's this much evidence of things not properly tightened/secured, the only way to trust this bike is to split the cases, check everything and rebuild. Never gone that deep before, but it all looks straight forward.

Anyone able to offer some food for thought/what to look for/things I should do while I'm in there?

Thanks for reading my post. Some day she'll live again!
Friedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #13983
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedom View Post
So i picked up my 91 DiRt350 on a craigslist find a few months back. Looked pretty patchy with spray painted plastic tank, and a really original color scheme of red and black all over. A few farkles, this and thats. Titled as a DR350s. Dunno how that happened, but the VINs match..
Handy to have the dirt model street legal.

Initial test run - started right up, went through the gears, carb well tuned. Nice - got it for 500, a steal right?

After awhile I noticed that it was impossible to get an oil reading. P.O. Had added an quart and a half at least. Beyond the full 2 quarts already in. Must not have known about how to check oil. Said something about only owning a few months, owner before him raced it..
Once I got her hot enough, she filled my air hose, carb, engine and exhaust with oil. That was fun.
Drained all the oil, put in the right amount.

A friend borrowed the bike for a day.
Added an extra quart and a half of oil since he couldn't get a reading either. Sigh.

Things sounding funny, lots of rattle noises in the top end. I decided no more riding it until we dig deeper, and dig we did! Found the valve clearance to be around a half inch on both sides. Yes, .5 inch, not the ~ .005 recommended.. Odd, but we snugged them up, buttoned it together and found it ran a little quieter. Somewhat..

Then the kick start return spring stopped working. Great - kick it then bring that lever up manually before it pops up and smacks something. Wait, what's that crunchy noise?

Okok, off with the clutch cover, let's take a look.
Hey! There's a bunch of pieces of metal lodged under the shifter spring. Oh boy - they're teeth! 13 so far.. And a little piece of... Spring! Ok, the spring goes to the.. Kick starter. Which probably broke because of interference with gear teeth. The gear teeth go to the... Oil pump!

Then there's an 8mm (ID) washer just sitting near the crankshaft, chilling, looking for a home. Also two bolts, also 8mm, one with a shaft before the thread.. Other just a hex head and threads. First bolt found to belong to the shift drum. Haven't found a home for the second bolt yet, but in the process of digging deeper to look, I found that the clutch basket nut was loose, the keeper washer was flat, and I literally took the clutch nut off by hand, no tools.
Then I took of the crankshaft nut by hand since it was loose also. Oh look! There's slack in the timing chain too!

What a bike! It actually ran pretty good under these conditions!

So now I'm figuring if there's this much evidence of things not properly tightened/secured, the only way to trust this bike is to split the cases, check everything and rebuild. Never gone that deep before, but it all looks straight forward.

Anyone able to offer some food for thought/what to look for/things I should do while I'm in there?

Thanks for reading my post. Some day she'll live again!
Sounds like you got your money's worth.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #13984
jsonder
Tired Old Fart

Oddometer: 510
Summer in Arizona

About this time of year I normally wonder why we left Montana.

Then I remember mid June in Montana,

P.S. Today is take Mom to Red Lobster day; she'll be 102 next month.
jsonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #13985
TwoRats
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Free KTM fender in Tucson - GONE

Fender has found its way to a new home.

Quote:
I have a good fender I don't want, taking up space in my garage. It's the fender used in the Touratech 950 Adventure conversion kit. The similar KTM part number seems to be 50308010300. If you want it and can pick it up, it's yours. I'm in Tucson, and work in Pantano/22nd area for pickup at noon hour or something. PM me if you want it.

TwoRats screwed with this post 07-29-2013 at 05:22 PM
TwoRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:55 PM   #13986
mntdawg
NOT FRAGILE OR GREEN

Oddometer: 817
Good precipe so far....

This Snowbird has not spent a summer in the Old pueblo since 1993!

This is one reason why.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...A#.UfVxeW2nlnU

Here is another, today I rode up into the clouds on the Continental divide.

Hope the rains are greening up the desert.
Any one have plans for a trip North?
Old 07-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #13987
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,479
Man, I would love to ride the real mountains! Looks like a great time.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #13988
NewtAZ
"did you say tacos?"

Oddometer: 39
re: fender

[QUOTE]free KTM fender in Tucson
I have a good fender I don't want, taking up space in my garage. It's the fender used in the Touratech 950 Adventure conversion kit. The similar KTM part number seems to be 50308010300. If you want it and can pick it up, it's yours. I'm in Tucson, and work in Pantano/22nd area for pickup at noon hour or something. PM me if you want it./QUOTE]

PM sent
NewtAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #13989
*Gmoney*
don't look here

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonder View Post
P.S. Today is take Mom to Red Lobster day; she'll be 102 next month.
Wow!
*Gmoney* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #13990
DonBenito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Hey there Tucson Riders!

I've been dualsport riding around Tucson on my customized TW200 for a little over a year now. I live on the Eastside and try to take advantage of my proximity to Redington Rd. often.

I'm pretty active on the TW200 forum under the same username - http://tw200forum.com/forum/members/donbenito.html

I recently took my TW on a 3 night trip up to Big Lake in the White mountains for some riding and fishing.

I have a KLR 650 too which I mostly use as a commuter, but lately I've been thinking about outfitting and using it more as other (more daring) riders do. 280 net uphill miles on a 196cc bike will put these thoughts in your head.

The TW is an absolute blast off-road and capable of handling far more treacherous terrain than I am though, and it remains my preferred bike for exploring and off-road riding.

Been lurking for a time now, so I thought I'd make my introductions on the local thread. I do most of my riding solo as my current days off are W-Th and I've had a tough time finding other riders with weekday availability, but I would love to find some good folks to ride with.
DonBenito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:08 AM   #13991
65SlashTwo
Da Pigu

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBenito View Post
280 net uphill miles on a 196cc bike will put these thoughts in your head.
Now THAT'S Adventuring!
65SlashTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:11 AM   #13992
Guppy Gulch
2010 Ducati MTS1200S

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant22 View Post
Hey everyone,

Gonna be in the sierra vista area for 2 days and will have my 990 with me. I know nothing about the area, but saw on google earth that there's two peaks nearby and tombstone.

I can figure out how to see tombstone, but can any locals here give me the short story on riding those couple of peaks (day rides)? Where the trail heads are, type of riding, etc?

I'd mostly be interested in road that spans the peaks end to end.

Or, can someone here tell me where to find this stuff out? Any good mc shops in SV that could give me the low down.

Thanks for any tips.
The two peaks you are referiing to are Miller and Carr Peaks. Neither are accessible by motorcycle. There are other great rides in and around the Huachuca Mountains though. If you are starting in Sierra Vista, I recommend heading South to Coronado National Monument. The road will take you up a great, dirt road, pass that has awesome views into Mexico and of the border. From there, head West and look for one of the first available left turns off the road. Most of these won't look too much like roads but will take you directly to the border fence road. This road is one of the most fun riding experiences around. You can literally go 100mph on it and there are enough hills and switch backs to keep you on your toes. It will dump you off near Lochiel, an abandoned town/border crossing. From here, get on Duquesne (Doo-Cane) road and keep heading West up through the old mining towns of Duquesne and head North to Harshaw. Both are ghost towns with a few intersting remains, etc. These roads are really fun if you like powersliding corners, etc. Eventually, you will end up in Patagonia and that's a great stop after 3 hours of riding. Common Ground (good food and coffee) or Velvet Elvis for pizza. Ride back East on the paved road until you get to Sonoita. Turn South and follow the road South/East to Parker Canyon Lake. From Parker Canyon Lake, you can work your way back to SV by Ft Huachuca's back gate (just show your DL and be wearing hi-viz) or back to Coronado National Monument all on fast, wide, pretty-well-maintained forest service roads. It's a great day trip and you don't get to ride the US/Mexico border very often unless you live here. I'd say you can do it in about 4-6 hours total, depending on your desire to stop and explore, etc.
Guppy Gulch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:09 PM   #13993
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Oddometer: 241
You don't say.. Welcome to the forums! I live at Broadway and Houghton, and reddington is a prime destination when I ride. Which isn't very often, since I'm the primary care taker of my new 3 month old daughter. But week days are just as likely to be fweekends, and, say, isn't tomorrow Thursday?

I had a good friend that had a TW. They're great bikes! I've got a kl600 that I'm moving on from, maybe to my project dr350, maybe to pedal powered quiet bikes so i can enjoy the great silence of the great outdoors more.
But i haven't sold it yet.. :) interested in a jaunt in the morning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBenito View Post
I've been dualsport riding around Tucson on my customized TW200 for a little over a year now. I live on the Eastside and try to take advantage of my proximity to Redington Rd. often.

I'm pretty active on the TW200 forum under the same username - http://tw200forum.com/forum/members/donbenito.html

I recently took my TW on a 3 night trip up to Big Lake in the White mountains for some riding and fishing.

I have a KLR 650 too which I mostly use as a commuter, but lately I've been thinking about outfitting and using it more as other (more daring) riders do. 280 net uphill miles on a 196cc bike will put these thoughts in your head.

The TW is an absolute blast off-road and capable of handling far more treacherous terrain than I am though, and it remains my preferred bike for exploring and off-road riding.

Been lurking for a time now, so I thought I'd make my introductions on the local thread. I do most of my riding solo as my current days off are W-Th and I've had a tough time finding other riders with weekday availability, but I would love to find some good folks to ride with.
Friedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:01 PM   #13994
DonBenito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedom View Post
You don't say.. Welcome to the forums! I live at Broadway and Houghton, and reddington is a prime destination when I ride. Which isn't very often, since I'm the primary care taker of my new 3 month old daughter. But week days are just as likely to be fweekends, and, say, isn't tomorrow Thursday?

I had a good friend that had a TW. They're great bikes! I've got a kl600 that I'm moving on from, maybe to my project dr350, maybe to pedal powered quiet bikes so i can enjoy the great silence of the great outdoors more.
But i haven't sold it yet.. :) interested in a jaunt in the morning?
PM sent!
DonBenito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:41 PM   #13995
messy
Go Fast

Oddometer: 113
DonBenito, I just moved here to Tucson 4 weeks ago. I'm getting lights on my bike soon so I will be legit on the street. I am off work on Wed and Thu as of now. As soon as my bike is good to go, I would love to explore the area. I work at bike shop here and try to get all the intel I can on places to go ride but no one here rides so I'm at 0 riding buddies still. I'll hit you up when bike is ready.