ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2013, 08:17 AM   #14056
yzfcathy
Weeble

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1 View Post
Ok, it's official. I want to go riding with you!
No doubt, Dawg knows Colorado.
Cathy's Dumb Solo Ride
The John Penton Story, Movie project
yzfcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #14057
gnadenlos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Wife rides too!

My wife is starting a rider safety course tommorrow morning @ Ride Now on E 22nd (where Messy works!).
She has ridden her XT225 for the past year with a riders permit and has done really well!! I am very excited for her and just wanted to share...
Anyone else here ride with their better halfs?
Old 08-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #14058
messy
Go Fast

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedom View Post
I wonder if it was you i talked to today when i called to see if you guys had a Kenda 270 for my KL...

You're right, the store does seem geared away from dirt. Got my mc endorsement there though, great class. Might come order some parts tomorrow, though I admit CSA gets my business alot too.

Anyways, I live 10 min from there. Maybe see you on one of these rides coming up! What's your steed?
I work up front with bike sales only. I get excited when folks walk to the dirt section here! For the time, I will be riding a crf450r. It will serve its dual sport purpose until I acquire something more appropriate. Likewise! Hopefully I will be out soon!
messy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:57 PM   #14059
DonBenito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBenito View Post
Mentioned this here before and on the TART, but I'm thinking a Thurs 8-8 or Thurs 8-15 ride to do the Tanque Verde - Redington - San Manuel - Oracle - Backside Mt. Lemmon - Catalina Hwy - Tanque Verde loop.

120 miles of easy dirt roads and pavement.

Was thinking next Thursday (8-8-13) but would happily wait until the following Thursday (8-15-13) if it would mean a bigger group or be more convenient for folks with the longer notice and all.

Sounds like maybe Thurs 8-15 might work for more riders, always tougher to get a group ride together on a week day.
So, this ride is gonna be happening on Thursday, 8-15-13. 7:30 am meetup at the Circle K at Speedway/Houghton.

I will be checking my PMs to see if anyone is interested.

Let me know!

2011 TW200
2013 Tiger Explorer XC
2012 KLR 650 - Sold
DonBenito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:51 PM   #14060
messy
Go Fast

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnadenlos View Post
My wife is starting a rider safety course tommorrow morning @ Ride Now on E 22nd (where Messy works!).
She has ridden her XT225 for the past year with a riders permit and has done really well!! I am very excited for her and just wanted to share...
Good luck to her! Everyone who takes that class there says that it is great. The instructors do very well. My wife is on a lil 100. Working her way up!
messy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #14061
65SlashTwo
Da Pigu

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnadenlos View Post
Suggest that she apply some critical thinking or just know that all of their instruction is not set in concrete. For instance, I took the MSF intermediate course to replace the MVD ride test and the instructor asked me why I had two fingers on the front brake. He instructed the class that when applying the front brake, all four fingers should be there...after all, why do you need throttle control when you're braking?
I told him it was from years on the dirt and most times, you don't need four fingers worth of front brake.
65SlashTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #14062
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65SlashTwo View Post
Suggest that she apply some critical thinking or just know that all of their instruction is not set in concrete. For instance, I took the MSF intermediate course to replace the MVD ride test and the instructor asked me why I had two fingers on the front brake. He instructed the class that when applying the front brake, all four fingers should be there...after all, why do you need throttle control when you're braking?
I told him it was from years on the dirt and most times, you don't need four fingers worth of front brake.
I'm a RiderCoach, and I can explain the rationale behind that. What it basically boils down to is that you can always apply less pressure with four fingers, you reach a certain point where you cannot apply more pressure with two. They're trying to build muscle memory of braking with four fingers so that in an emergency you will use all four fingers and hopefully be able to utilize the braking capabilities of your motorcycle to the fullest. Instead of building muscle memory of using two, when in an emergency two may not be enough. Also, if you are used to braking with two fingers, and in an emergency you end up using four, you might over-apply the front brake, causing the front tire to lock up. So practicing using four fingers will theoretically help you if you need to use four fingers in an emergency. Also, if your brakes are old, worn pads, old fluid, etc then it is possible to pull the brake lever far enough in that it pinches the other two fingers, thereby preventing you from using increased braking effort beyond that point.

I will also readily admit that the curriculum is somewhat dated, and may not be the most up to date with regards to highly effective modern brakes (which may only require two fingers to achieve maximum braking effort on the street) or ABS brakes (which should probably use four fingers, because you can achieve maximum braking with less fear of locking the front). The curriculum is kind of a "best practices" concept, something that would be the best practice over the widest range of possible occurrences.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #14063
jsonder
Tired Old Fart

Oddometer: 524
Shucks, both my bikes have home-made shorty levers. No way to pinch fingers.

I too am more comfortable with a bit of finger control on the grips.
jsonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #14064
65SlashTwo
Da Pigu

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
I'm a RiderCoach, and I can explain the rationale behind that. What it basically boils down to is that you can always apply less pressure with four fingers, you reach a certain point where you cannot apply more pressure with two. They're trying to build muscle memory of braking with four fingers so that in an emergency you will use all four fingers and hopefully be able to utilize the braking capabilities of your motorcycle to the fullest. Instead of building muscle memory of using two, when in an emergency two may not be enough. Also, if you are used to braking with two fingers, and in an emergency you end up using four, you might over-apply the front brake, causing the front tire to lock up. So practicing using four fingers will theoretically help you if you need to use four fingers in an emergency. Also, if your brakes are old, worn pads, old fluid, etc then it is possible to pull the brake lever far enough in that it pinches the other two fingers, thereby preventing you from using increased braking effort beyond that point.

I will also readily admit that the curriculum is somewhat dated, and may not be the most up to date with regards to highly effective modern brakes (which may only require two fingers to achieve maximum braking effort on the street) or ABS brakes (which should probably use four fingers, because you can achieve maximum braking with less fear of locking the front). The curriculum is kind of a "best practices" concept, something that would be the best practice over the widest range of possible occurrences.
Good points all, PhiSig. I agree with the 'best practices' approach, especially when a high percentage of the students are beginners or even intermediates with limited experience. Can't recall if my riderCoach was satisfied with my answer or pressed the narrative but no matter. Critical thinking or 'grain of salt' with any particular technique may not mean anything if the person has no basis otherwise.
I'm teaching my two teenage sons to ride dirt bikes and have forgotten how much there is to get across to them as they progress!
I've been riding for 35yrs. and still enjoy picking up tidbits of technique here and there when taking instruction.
65SlashTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #14065
jsonder
Tired Old Fart

Oddometer: 524
The rain has really perked up the greenery:

And, the water crossings actually have water:

I had a nice ride this morning....
jsonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #14066
gnadenlos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post

I think it's all great stuff and everyone has the right to learn as many bad habits and riding practices that they are comfortable with after the course...
Old 08-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #14067
Dave JP
BRP Rider

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
So I mentioned this to Fried and at the Red Garter Last night (hope I didn't get lost in the big ADV crowd!), but I've been itching to do the Tanque Verde - Redington - San Manuel - Oracle - Backside Mt. Lemmon - Catalina Hwy - Tanque Verde loop for a while now. Easy DS route around 120 miles. Any takers for next Thursday?
Hey DonB:

Any interest in the ride tomorrow?

Dave
Dave JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #14068
DonBenito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave JP View Post
Hey DonB:

Any interest in the ride tomorrow?

Dave
This ride is gonna happen next Thursday, 8-15-13. There seemed to be more folks with availability for next week.

I'm thinking a 7:30am start time, leaving from the Circle K at Speedway and Houghton and heading out Redington from there.

2011 TW200
2013 Tiger Explorer XC
2012 KLR 650 - Sold
DonBenito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #14069
Dave JP
BRP Rider

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
This ride is gonna happen next Thursday, 8-15-13. There seemed to be more folks with availability for next week.

I'm thinking a 7:30am start time, leaving from the Circle K at Speedway and Houghton and heading out Redington from there.
10-4. I'm probably out for that one.

If anyone wants to do Redington - control road - down Cat Highway tomorrow at 9:30AM, shoot a post up tonight. We can meet at the usual Circle K on Tanque Verde.

Dave
Dave JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #14070
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonder View Post
The rain has really perked up the greenery:

And, the water crossings actually have water:

I had a nice ride this morning....
I'm Jealous! I've been stuck in Phoenix this summer for an internship, and miss riding down in Tucson!

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things? Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote