ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 06:59 AM   #14131
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,426
I think you guys have a crush on him.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:00 AM   #14132
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1 View Post
I think you guys have a crush on him.
Well that little goat he has really turns me on
HoosierTrailmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:43 AM   #14133
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 3,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorcycleWriter View Post
Where's a good place to buy moto gear in Tucson? Ironhorse is a great dealership but they're limited to mostly BMW stuff and I'm looking for a good dual sport tank bag or tail bag for the R100GS. I went by Performance Cycles and their inventory was crap. (Salesman was pretty rude, too.) Anywhere else I might look? Wouldn't mind perusing a GPS for the bike either, though I know I'd do a lot better online for that.
Like HTM said. Slim pickings in Tucson. This place http://zmwadventures.com/
is supposedly a wolfman dealer. Never been there or had any contact with them but maybe they have something laying around. Otherwise, depending how picky your are, On Any Moto (on Grant west of I-10) or Cycle Gear (Grant/Stone) might be worth a shot if you just want something to last short term. For GPS, REI (Tucson Mall) would be your best bet but for mounts and such it might be hard to find. Maybe Iron Horse has non-powered mounts??

Also CL is worth a look.

I think I've got an older Nelson Rigg tail bag (street oriented) that you could have. It's kind of big though.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #14134
craftycoder
Android GPS Software

Oddometer: 2,096
Frank @ http://zmwadventures.com/ is great. He is working on my bike right now. He totally understands what us inmates are trying to do with our bikes and has a pure "can do" attitude. I gave him my G650xC and some Aprilia forks I got on ebay and asked him to mount them up and keep my OEM low fender on there. Without any other prompting Frank found a machine shop who could machine up the lugs of the forks so that everything just worked. I'm cannot speak to what if anything he has "in stock" though. His place is a work shop mostly. That said, he has ordered me parts and tires in the past and the turn around is plenty fast enough to suit me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
is supposedly a wolfman dealer. Never been there or had any contact with them but maybe they have something laying around. Otherwise, depending how picky your are, On Any Moto (on Grant west of I-10) or Cycle Gear (Grant/Stone) might be worth a shot if you just want something to last short term. For GPS, REI (Tucson Mall) would be your best bet but for mounts and such it might be hard to find. Maybe Iron Horse has non-powered mounts??

Also CL is worth a look.

I think I've got an older Nelson Rigg tail bag (street oriented) that you could have. It's kind of big though.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #14135
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierTrailmaster View Post
For a town as into motorcycles as Tucson is, .
Take away the HD, chopper and, squid guys and you aren't left with much.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #14136
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,746
Quote:

Also CL is worth a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
Frank @ http://zmwadventures.com/ is great. He is working on my bike right now. He totally understands what us inmates are trying to do with our bikes and has a pure "can do" attitude. I gave him my G650xC and some Aprilia forks I got on ebay and asked him to mount them up and keep my OEM low fender on there. Without any other prompting Frank found a machine shop who could machine up the lugs of the forks so that everything just worked. I'm cannot speak to what if anything he has "in stock" though. His place is a work shop mostly. That said, he has ordered me parts and tires in the past and the turn around is plenty fast enough to suit me.
Another customer of Frank over at ZMW. He's done all the work on my bikes, my finacee's bike, and a co-workers bike. He's a good guy and I've never had any problems dealing with him. I am going up to Scottsdale this weekend, I might check out ZenMoto if I have time, I've heard a lot about him but never been there.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #14137
MotorcycleWriter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Went by ZMW and Frank had a Wolfman tailbag that's perfect for the job. Great guy. Going to get him to put some K-60 rubber on my bike and replace a leaky exhaust gasket. The guy definitely knows his bikes and I preferred his manner to... I'll say the other shops in town. My kind of shop, for sure.

Rode in and he thought he heard it "knocking." Traced it to an exhaust leak in about 25 seconds. I mentioned the knock (which I'd heard too) to another shop that worked on it and they told me it wasn't knocking. I ain't deaf, ya know, and I know engines even if an airhead is new to me and my shop and tools are 1,600 miles away. He also pointed out that the gas in my fuel filters was boiling. No wonder it tends to start hard when it's 104 outside (110 on the pavement.)

He went on to talk me through the Mt. Lemmon loop since I don't have a GPS. Gave me all the turns and what they look like. Said I shouldn't have any problem on the GS. I'd feel better about it if I had my full took kit and Get Out Of Trouble Free Card with me. But then, that's what makes an adventure, right? You got to leave the house, hotel in my case, and go do something.
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #14138
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,746
Quote:
Went by ZMW and Frank had a Wolfman tailbag that's perfect for the job. Great guy. Going to get him to put some K-60 rubber on my bike and replace a leaky exhaust gasket. The guy definitely knows his bikes and I preferred his manner to... I'll say the other shops in town. My kind of shop, for sure.

Rode in and he thought he heard it "knocking." Traced it to an exhaust leak in about 25 seconds. I mentioned the knock (which I'd heard too) to another shop that worked on it and they told me it wasn't knocking. I ain't deaf, ya know, and I know engines even if an airhead is new to me and my shop and tools are 1,600 miles away. He also pointed out that the gas in my fuel filters was boiling. No wonder it tends to start hard when it's 104 outside (110 on the pavement.)

He went on to talk me through the Mt. Lemmon loop since I don't have a GPS. Gave me all the turns and what they look like. Said I shouldn't have any problem on the GS. I'd feel better about it if I had my full took kit and Get Out Of Trouble Free Card with me. But then, that's what makes an adventure, right? You got to leave the house, hotel in my case, and go do something.
Glad you had a good experience with Frank!

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #14139
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,379
Quote:

I know Frank as well and he is a great guy, but I wasn't even sure he was still around. He went through some tough times and closed his shop. I have called his number several times over the past year, got a VM and left a message and he didn't call me back. Of course he used to take guys down to Mexico...maybe he was on one of those trips.
HoosierTrailmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #14140
Dpac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
I am well versed in Az Backcountry F /S Roads we ride the Hi country (out of lakeside /pinetop) very regularly this time of year usually leaving after work Friday afternoons returning Sundays. We ride 650's as a minimum as to keep highway speeds as needed for long distances. We would love to add to our group size on these weekend warrior adventures. We campout off of the backs of our machines and also have cabins in the white mountains. Message me or reply I just subscribed to this thread...

2013 BMW F800GS
Tucson, Az
Dpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #14141
MotorcycleWriter
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpac View Post
I am well versed in Az Backcountry F /S Roads we ride the Hi country (out of lakeside /pinetop) very regularly this time of year usually leaving after work Friday afternoons returning Sundays. We ride 650's as a minimum as to keep highway speeds as needed for long distances. We would love to add to our group size on these weekend warrior adventures. We campout off of the backs of our machines and also have cabins in the white mountains. Message me or reply I just subscribed to this thread...
Sign me up!
Old 08-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #14142
MotorcycleWriter
Studly Adventurer

Thumb Redington Rd - Mt. Lemmon loop Trip Report!!!

Had a great ride this morning. Got on the dirt around 7:45. There were a few slow-moving 4x4s that I blasted past... until my tail bag fell off. Well, it wasn't really a tail bag. More of a duffel bag strapped on with bungees. I bought a real tail bag yesterday but was afraid it wasn't going to be big enough for my gallon of water, rain gear, and tools. (I'd have been fine with a 1/2 gallon and should have just used the Wolfman, but since I hadn't been before, overpacked.) Anyway, after I realized it was gone and went back and picked it up, and strapped it on better this time (with the extra bungees I brought) I was back on my way. Came to a few forks in the road but thanks to everyone's great descriptions I had no problem. That and the mile-marker signs that kept letting me know I was on the right road. The only spot where I scratched my head a little was the very first fork. I didn't remember it from the maps and the roads seemed about the same, but figured if I kept going left I was eventually going to make a circle and well, that's what happened. Pretty sure the right hand fork met back up a few miles on.

The R100GS ran perfectly and soaked up the dirt road easily. In fact, I was a bit disappointed it wasn't more technical. Even managed to average about 25 mph coming up the back side of the Lemmon. As usual, I didn't spend a lot of time gazing out over the beauty of my surroundings but concentrated on the riding, though I did stop a few times. Stunning is the only word for it. Lots of dirt roads and trails out there, too. Be very easy to get turned around and wind up out of gas without a GPS, though I'm not sure if lost is the right word. Just look up at the mountain and you know exactly where you are. Getting out, though, is another matter. As I get to know the area better, I'll be looking for more technical routes. I 'm getting a very good feel for the GS and, though heavy, I am impressed by the balance and handling. It is surprisingly flickable. And the low end torque is... well, it's a 1,000 cc's of boxer so exactly what you'd expect. Even my crappy Avon Gripster tires did fine since conditions were pretty much perfect for them.

I was somewhat amused by the San Pedro 'River'. After riding just to the left of the valley for a half-hour, when I came to the sign that said "River" with an arrow pointing to the right, I thought I'd take a look.

I was surprised to find that it was just like what we have in Alabama, though back home we'd call it a ditch. In all seriousness, it was really beautiful down there with all the trees hanging over the... mud.

Emerged around 11:00 at the top and stopped by the Sawmill Run Restaurant in Summerhaven where I ran into a fellow inmate on an R1200GSA out for a morning spin. Ate lunch with him and he regaled me with tales of his trip to Guatemala last year. (I'm going to have to try this some time.) Lots of bikes up there, mostly of the chrome 1/2 ton class, as well as more three-wheelers than at a day care. Not that there's anything wrong with riding a three wheeler. I selfishly thought that my R100GS was the best looking bike of the bunch!

Then it was time to head back down . Always hate ending a ride, but my hands were a bit tired, I must admit. It wasn't until I passed through 4,000 that I really started to realize that "Hey, it's hot!" Somewhere along the way I stopped and pulled out the shirt I'd wetted and packed in a ziplock. Man - does that swamp cooler work. But it was dry by the time I got to Grant! It also rather sucked that I had to come back to a hotel, but I had some Pacifico in the micro-fridge and it was cold enough. Took a shower, took a nap, and mother nature washed off the bike with a nice little shower of her own, great since I don't have access to a hose when I'm in town.

The only question now is, where to go tomorrow?

Oh, and here's a tip for anyone planning a ride in the heat - Don't take a can of Planters NUT-rition "Energy Mix". It has little chocolate spheres that melt and the vibration mixes everything up really good making it very difficult to eat with gloves on. Don't ask me how I know this...

MotorcycleWriter screwed with this post 08-17-2013 at 05:09 PM Reason: More!
Old 08-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #14143
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Had a great ride this morning. Got on the dirt around 7:45. There were a few slow-moving 4x4s that I blasted past... until my tail bag fell off. Well, it wasn't really a tail bag. More of a duffel bag strapped on with bungees. I bought a real tail bag yesterday but was afraid it wasn't going to be big enough for my gallon of water, rain gear, and tools. (I'd have been fine with a 1/2 gallon and should have just used the Wolfman, but since I hadn't been before, overpacked.) Anyway, after I realized it was gone and went back and picked it up, and strapped it on better this time (with the extra bungees I brought) I was back on my way. Came to a few forks in the road but thanks to everyone's great descriptions I had no problem. That and the mile-marker signs that kept letting me know I was on the right road. The only spot where I scratched my head a little was the very first fork. I didn't remember it from the maps and the roads seemed about the same, but figured if I kept going left I was eventually going to make a circle and well, that's what happened. Pretty sure the right hand fork met back up a few miles on.

The R100GS ran perfectly and soaked up the dirt road easily. In fact, I was a bit disappointed it wasn't more technical. Even managed to average about 25 mph coming up the back side of the Lemmon. As usual, I didn't spend a lot of time gazing out over the beauty of my surroundings but concentrated on the riding, though I did stop a few times. Stunning is the only word for it. Lots of dirt roads and trails out there, too. Be very easy to get turned around and wind up out of gas without a GPS, though I'm not sure if lost is the right word. Just look up at the mountain and you know exactly where you are. Getting out, though, is another matter. As I get to know the area better, I'll be looking for more technical routes. I 'm getting a very good feel for the GS and, though heavy, I am impressed by the balance and handling. It is surprisingly flickable. And the low end torque is... well, it's a 1,000 cc's of boxer so exactly what you'd expect. Even my crappy Avon Gripster tires did fine since conditions were pretty much perfect for them.

I was somewhat amused by the San Pedro 'River'. After riding just to the left of the valley for a half-hour, when I came to the sign that said "River" with an arrow pointing to the right, I thought I'd take a look.

I was surprised to find that it was just like what we have in Alabama, though back home we'd call it a ditch. In all seriousness, it was really beautiful down there with all the trees hanging over the... mud.

Emerged around 11:00 at the top and stopped by the Sawmill Run Restaurant in Summerhaven where I ran into a fellow inmate on an R1200GSA out for a morning spin. Ate lunch with him and he regaled me with tales of his trip to Guatemala last year. (I'm going to have to try this some time.) Lots of bikes up there, mostly of the chrome 1/2 ton class, as well as more three-wheelers than at a day care. Not that there's anything wrong with riding a three wheeler. I selfishly thought that my R100GS was the best looking bike of the bunch!

Then it was time to head back down . Always hate ending a ride, but my hands were a bit tired, I must admit. It wasn't until I passed through 4,000 that I really started to realize that "Hey, it's hot!" Somewhere along the way I stopped and pulled out the shirt I'd wetted and packed in a ziplock. Man - does that swamp cooler work. But it was dry by the time I got to Grant! It also rather sucked that I had to come back to a hotel, but I had some Pacifico in the micro-fridge and it was cold enough. Took a shower, took a nap, and mother nature washed off the bike with a nice little shower of her own, great since I don't have access to a hose when I'm in town.

The only question now is, where to go tomorrow?
Glad you had a good ride. So what do you think about riding in AZ dry heat vs. hot weather in your home area?
Old 08-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #14144
MotorcycleWriter
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Glad you had a good ride. So what do you think about riding in AZ dry heat vs. hot weather in your home area?
105 degrees and 30% humidity is much easier than 85 degrees and 85% humidity, where wetting a shirt does nothing but make you hotter. Not sure I'll even like riding back home anymore. I'll have to move out here!
Old 08-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #14145
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 9,300
The house is available. ~$1,500/month.

Come on by and meet Scott.

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote