ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #14146
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 3,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson.biguns View Post
The house is available. ~$1,500/month.

Come on by and meet Scott.

Moving to a different part of town?

Looked at a rental by your place today. Driveway was right off of Kolb though which seemed a little sketchy plus too loud.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #14147
DonBenito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Hey MotorcycleWriter, glad you had a good ride up her backside! You passed a couple of dozen turn-offs with far more technical riding in store along your route, so if that's what you're after you already more or less know the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorcycleWriter View Post
105 degrees and 30% humidity is much easier than 85 degrees and 85% humidity, where wetting a shirt does nothing but make you hotter. Not sure I'll even like riding back home anymore. I'll have to move out here!
I hear you on that! 1 week of visiting out here from North Carolina was all it took to convince me to pack my bags. It's been a great few years now and I've never looked back.

2011 TW200 - Mighty!
2012 KLR 650 - Mighty tall!
DonBenito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #14148
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Oddometer: 241
Hey Motorcycle Writer!
I went up the Lemmon to go hiking with my family yesterday in our truck, and saw you heading down, there was another bike in front of you, but I didn't catch the model. It was just downhill of windy point. My family didn't share my enthusiasm, but I was glad to see you made past the hairy parts

Friedom screwed with this post 08-18-2013 at 01:12 PM
Friedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:18 AM   #14149
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 9,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Moving to a different part of town?

Looked at a rental by your place today. Driveway was right off of Kolb though which seemed a little sketchy plus too loud.
No, Scott and Julie bought this place and will be moving up there. They're going to be renting their house in the next month or so.

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #14150
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,380
Quote:
No, Scott and Julie bought this place and will be moving up there. They're going to be renting their house in the next month or so.

Man, jealously is coming out my ears.
HoosierTrailmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #14151
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

I know it is during the work week and last minute, but YZFCathy and I are going to ride off Redington tomorrow morning. If anyone wants a good schooling in off-road riding...Cathy is the one to ride with. PM me and I will give you details as we are still working it out.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:24 PM   #14152
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 3,736
Quote:

wow, that looks like a really nice place.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #14153
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierTrailmaster View Post
I know it is during the work week and last minute, but YZFCathy and I are going to ride off Redington tomorrow morning. If anyone wants a good schooling in off-road riding...Cathy is the one to ride with. PM me and I will give you details as we are still working it out.
Waiting for parts to arrive, or I'd be in!
Friedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #14154
MotorcycleWriter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:

Someone in Tucson needs to find me a job in the next month so I can rent this house! Physicist/AerospaceEngineer/SFAuthor/CabinetMaker/MotorcycleNut. Any takers???!!!
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #14155
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Quote:
Someone in Tucson needs to find me a job in the next month so I can rent this house! Physicist/AerospaceEngineer/SFAuthor/CabinetMaker/MotorcycleNut. Any takers???!!!

Aww yes...now you find out what the problem is in Tucson...no jobs and the ones there are don't pay well. Although, with your background maybe U of A and or Ratheon.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #14156
MotorcycleWriter
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedom View Post
Hey Motorcycle Writer!
I went up the Lemmon to go hiking with my family yesterday in our truck, and saw you heading down, there was another bike in front of you, but I didn't catch the model. It was just downhill of windy point. My family didn't share my enthusiasm, but I was glad to see you made past the hairy parts
Aww, you're making my bike blush! Don't know how I managed to snag this beauty for what I paid. Don't ask, it makes people .

But honestly, I think I'm in some trouble. When I get back to Huntsville and my 1150RT realizes I've been off with another bike, and worse, have lost interest in the heavy, bloated wench, no telling how she's going to react - especially when she figures out that I'll be selling her to farkle the GS!

BTW, that bike in front of me was the '07 1200GSA for sale in the FleaMarket right now. Nice machine, but I'm afraid I'm a airhead guy from now on.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #14157
MotorcycleWriter
Studly Adventurer

There's some great light-off road over off of E.Old Spanish Trail at the base of Rincon Peak. Wind your way back on those dirt roads and it gets pretty technical. The GS handled it well until I came to a rocky, off camber uphill. Feel certain I could have done it but didn't want to try with a heavy bike alone and well off road. Next time I'm in town somebody needs to go out there with me! I need to drop this bike a few times so I stop worrying about scratching it. It's close by so makes a great little sand blast after work!

Came across a sign that said something about state land and a permit required. Is that the infamous OHV permit? I turned around there. Didn't want to push my luck.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #14158
DonBenito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
There's some great light-off road over off of E.Old Spanish Trail at the base of Rincon Peak. Wind your way back on those dirt roads and it gets pretty technical. The GS handled it well until I came to a rocky, off camber uphill. Feel certain I could have done it but didn't want to try with a heavy bike alone and well off road. Next time I'm in town somebody needs to go out there with me! I need to drop this bike a few times so I stop worrying about scratching it. It's close by so makes a great little sand blast after work!

Came across a sign that said something about state land and a permit required. Is that the infamous OHV permit? I turned around there. Didn't want to push my luck.
The OHV permit is for the FS trails and singletrack, the brown fiberglass signs with the little motorcycle on it. State trust land requires a separate land use permit. They want you to log in and out on the clipboards they put up too. And here I thought my AZ tax return was supposed to permit me to use publicly owned land in this state? Oh well, I guess there's some weight to the argument that the users of state sponsored projects ought to be the ones to pay for the administration costs.

Whether it makes sense or not, the fines for not having the right permits are heavy. The permits aren't too expensive and the money mostly goes to a good cause, so I don't really mind paying them.

2011 TW200 - Mighty!
2012 KLR 650 - Mighty tall!
DonBenito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:54 AM   #14159
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Quote:
Aww, you're making my bike blush! Don't know how I managed to snag this beauty for what I paid. Don't ask, it makes people .

But honestly, I think I'm in some trouble. When I get back to Huntsville and my 1150RT realizes I've been off with another bike, and worse, have lost interest in the heavy, bloated wench, no telling how she's going to react - especially when she figures out that I'll be selling her to farkle the GS!

BTW, that bike in front of me was the '07 1200GSA for sale in the FleaMarket right now. Nice machine, but I'm afraid I'm a airhead guy from now on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBenito View Post
The OHV permit is for the FS trails and singletrack, the brown fiberglass signs with the little motorcycle on it. State trust land requires a separate land use permit. They want you to log in and out on the clipboards they put up too. And here I thought my AZ tax return was supposed to permit me to use publicly owned land in this state? Oh well, I guess there's some weight to the argument that the users of state sponsored projects ought to be the ones to pay for the administration costs.

Whether it makes sense or not, the fines for not having the right permits are heavy. The permits aren't too expensive and the money mostly goes to a good cause, so I don't really mind paying them.
Clarification, you can ride on state trust land with NO permit aside from your OHV sticker if you have an off-road vehicle (a road legal MC with MC plate does not need an OHV sticker). What you can't do is camp or stay in one place. As long as you are moving through you need no special permit.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #14160
KIC
Proud Army Dad

Oddometer: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierTrailmaster View Post
Are you back to riding ?
1985 Yamaha YZ 250 - Sold
KIC is offline   Reply With Quote