ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #14356
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Oddometer: 702
I took my prerunner taco up to that split, then walked up the hill and decided against driving up. If i can make it with two wheels driving, 1 should be more than enough, right? :wink

"...Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing - end them."
The spear has been shaken!!
Friedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #14357
DonBenito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedom View Post
I've gone down that hill (and gone down on that hill) once, but after I tumbled, we were both tired, and we weren't 100% sure which way to the falls, my friend (who I won't name, but he's an inmate) decided not to tackle the hill. It was fun coming up though, just had to have decent speed and even more nerve. I'm on a KL600, or a DR350, or a DR250 depending on how much I like kick starting over being tall and heavy. And of course, depending upon which one is running best.
Hey man, you coulda named me, I'll own it!

Here's a pic I snapped of myself looking down that hill:

Here's the phone vid I took of you blasting back up it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxmng...ature=youtu.be

If I'd known how close we were to the falls, I might have nutted up a little bit and gone for it. Easy to say sitting here in my chair!

2011 TW200
2013 Tiger Explorer XC
2012 KLR 650 - Sold
DonBenito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:39 PM   #14358
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBenito View Post
Hey man, you coulda named me, I'll own it!

Here's the phone vid I took of you blasting back up it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxmng...ature=youtu.be

If I'd known how close we were to the falls, I might have nutted up a little bit and gone for it. Easy to say sitting here in my chair!
You were about three-tenths of a mile from the falls from where you took that vid. I know because a buddy of mine on a XR650R had trouble getting up the hill to that point, and I was doing some checking on my GPS from that spot.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #14359
Kermit13
Is that suppose to smoke?

Oddometer: 96
There Will Be Dust

We are putting on a benefit Dual Sport•ADV Bike ride for the Food Bank of Southern Arizona on November 24th, 2013

More information here:

There Will Be Dust

Thanks!

Kermit

Kermit13 screwed with this post 10-09-2013 at 08:00 PM
Kermit13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #14360
Mr. NoMoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
You were about three-tenths of a mile from the falls from where you took that vid. I know because a buddy of mine on a XR650R had trouble getting up the hill to that point, and I was doing some checking on my GPS from that spot.
I'm trying to place that hill. I've been to the falls but I was in 100% follow mode. No idea where I really was. When the camera is looking down the hill are the falls pretty much just a bit down the trail to the right?

If that's where that hill is I do remember looking at that hill with at least a small amount of skepticism.
Mr. NoMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:53 AM   #14361
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NoMoto View Post
I'm trying to place that hill. I've been to the falls but I was in 100% follow mode. No idea where I really was. When the camera is looking down the hill are the falls pretty much just a bit down the trail to the right?

If that's where that hill is I do remember looking at that hill with at least a small amount of skepticism.
That's the 4405A split. It's kind of a weird split, because 4405 comes out of the wash and goes up this hill, and truthfully the split is about halfway up the hill, not at the top. Yeah, from there Chiva is just off to the right, actually off screen, you go down the hill (from the cameraman's initial point of view) and up again and to the right, and Chiva is just over the top of the further hill.

When the cameraman turns around, the TW is parked a little downhill from the 4405/4405A split, the rider comes to a stop a little short of the split itself, it's just over the crest slightly. If you go left that's the 4405 loop, that can loop back towards Tucson (4405) or back behind the falls (4426). If you go right (from where the rider stopped) that drops back down in the wash and heads toward 4417/Redington.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:43 AM   #14362
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,034
Cage Question

Hey guys, funny question. I'm getting new driving bagels for the amigo. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a place in Tucson to get an alignment. A good job is obviously most important, but cheap is nice too Thanks

“And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?” Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #14363
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,509
Jack Furrier's is the best place in my opinion...I will admit it is because I know the Furriers but they are always honest and I believe very price competitive.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #14364
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Jay and Duke's has treated me well. Pricing was soso.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #14365
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

I Love how so many of us are independently familiar with the 4405/4405a split :)

"...Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing - end them."
The spear has been shaken!!
Old 10-07-2013, 08:55 AM   #14366
goodtimes
local bum

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt View Post
Hey guys, funny question. I'm getting new driving bagels for the amigo. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a place in Tucson to get an alignment. A good job is obviously most important, but cheap is nice too Thanks
Anywhere except Firestone.

They offer a nice "lifetime alignment" - but you have to show them how to do the alignment every time you go in. Hell, Marisa had to explain how to adjust the camber on her car last weekend.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #14367
Mr. NoMoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
That's the 4405A split. It's kind of a weird split, because 4405 comes out of the wash and goes up this hill, and truthfully the split is about halfway up the hill, not at the top. Yeah, from there Chiva is just off to the right, actually off screen, you go down the hill (from the cameraman's initial point of view) and up again and to the right, and Chiva is just over the top of the further hill.

When the cameraman turns around, the TW is parked a little downhill from the 4405/4405A split, the rider comes to a stop a little short of the split itself, it's just over the crest slightly. If you go left that's the 4405 loop, that can loop back towards Tucson (4405) or back behind the falls (4426). If you go right (from where the rider stopped) that drops back down in the wash and heads toward 4417/Redington.
Thanks! From your description I'm pretty sure that hill is the hill I thought it was. (if I could have figured out a way to add one more "hill" to that sentence I would have) If I'm remembering correctly the hill that continues up from the split that would take you above the falls looked like a bit of a slippery slope in its own right as well.
Mr. NoMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #14368
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NoMoto View Post
Thanks! From your description I'm pretty sure that hill is the hill I thought it was. (if I could have figured out a way to add one more "hill" to that sentence I would have) If I'm remembering correctly the hill that continues up from the split that would take you above the falls looked like a bit of a slippery slope in its own right as well.
Oh yeah. Once you hit that point none of the hills are smooth graded dirt.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #14369
daBum
the Bum

Oddometer: 76
me and Kate

a few coordinates from last week :-)

38.27583,-109.877

37.1569445,-111.5322217

36.21493,-113.056832

- Dave the bum
daBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #14370
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit13 View Post
We are putting on a benefit Dual Sport•ADV Bike ride for the Food Bank of Southern Arizona on November 24th, 2013

More information here:

There Will Be Dust

Thanks!

Kermit
I've been to Sasabe, where is this historic hotel you speak of?