ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #14446
SOLOKLR
almost retired

Oddometer: 136
bike camping

I went last weekend off of hwy 83. Took Sahuarita rd to the end. Turned right and went maybe 5-10 miles. Turned right on the road after the picnic table. Went in there about 3 miles and set up under some trees. Camping all along the dirt road there.
Steverauklr@gmail.com
SOLOKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #14447
tmac13
SomeCallHimTim

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle4rley View Post
Yeah! I'd love to explore some of those ghost towns and a lot of the places around here. That's why I bought it. But baby steps first, just got the carb figured out and I need a place close I can do hot laps to get everything sorted out and not have too far to get home(so if anyone has anything on the west side). If that doesn't work out I'll probably just truck it out to reddington or the BLM land where the 24 hour race is. Thanks for the advice though

If you want to come up to Dove Mountain I can show you around. There is a good mix of terrain and a great place for hot laps. Long sandy washes, deep sand whoops, rocky hard pack, more sand, then repeat. Are you street legal or do you trailer? Usually meet at the Giant/Chevron at Tangerine Rd./Dove Mtn. Blvd or at the state land gate off Tangerine.
There is also a gate at the west end of Moore Rd off Dove Mtn Blvd that people park at.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:08 PM   #14448
greystone
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac13 View Post
If you want to come up to Dove Mountain I can show you around. There is a good mix of terrain and a great place for hot laps. Long sandy washes, deep sand whoops, rocky hard pack, more sand, then repeat. Are you street legal or do you trailer? Usually meet at the Giant/Chevron at Tangerine Rd./Dove Mtn. Blvd or at the state land gate off Tangerine.
There is also a gate at the west end of Moore Rd off Dove Mtn Blvd that people park at.

Where exactly is this area at? From looking at google maps, I would guess it's west of the residential areas on the way up to the Ritz Carlton? I'm only about 10 minutes away from there!
greystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:19 AM   #14449
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by greystone View Post
Where exactly is this area at? From looking at google maps, I would guess it's west of the residential areas on the way up to the Ritz Carlton? I'm only about 10 minutes away from there!
+1, I always end up riding south of Vail/Sahaurita or out by reddington, but I live up north of the foothills mall. I'd like a place closer by to ride, other then pinal.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #14450
tmac13
SomeCallHimTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by greystone View Post

Yep that's it. If you follow the gas line/Moore Rd. after the gate west then turn south it will run into Tangerine Rd. where there is another gate. Follow the powerline heading NW on google maps and you will see a bunch of trails and washes. There is a fun ride out to Park Links Rd. and beyond.
Tons of space to play on and since I live 1 1/2 miles from the gate I go play whenever possible. I'd be more then happy to show anyone around out there.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:45 AM   #14451
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnadenlos View Post
Hey Fried - I'd like to explore mining roads and ghoast towns too!

Sweet! I want to check out the old town of Total Wreck east of 83 as well. Or basically go anywhere that you see dirt roads winding into the mountains with undisclosed destinations!

"...Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing - end them."
The spear has been shaken!!
Friedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #14452
kyle4rley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac13 View Post

That sounds sweet. My bike is street legal, although that doesn't mean much, I can also wheel it into my pick up with my really steep driveway, getting it out is hard not having a ramp though. I've got tuesdays and fridays off or most afternoons.
kyle4rley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:40 AM   #14453
goodtimes
local bum

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedom View Post
I have a friend downtown on a KLR, and we crossed over gates pass and found some dirt on the other side that may or may not have been intended for motorized travel..
Everything in the park (Tucson Mountain Park & Saguaro West) is strictly non-motorized, with the exception of Hohokam Trail - which is more of a bumpy dirt road than a trail.

The locals that live on the park boundaries give me the stink eye when I'm on a MTB, I can only imagine their reaction if I were on a moto. I get the feeling that they would just as soon put a rider in the ground than say "good morning".
Old 10-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #14454
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimes View Post
Everything in the park (Tucson Mountain Park & Saguaro West) is strictly non-motorized, with the exception of Hohokam Trail - which is more of a bumpy dirt road than a trail.

The locals that live on the park boundaries give me the stink eye when I'm on a MTB, I can only imagine their reaction if I were on a moto. I get the feeling that they would just as soon put a rider in the ground than say "good morning".
We went outside of the parks, I'm pretty sure. No one was around thankfully, as it was 10:30 at night with a full moon :) We were exploring dirt trails that we could see on satellite maps, one ended up at a fence that instead of saying no trespassing, had some warning about there being a fine for taking down signs. We were fine with leaving the signs. Next "trail" started out going up a wash, then after wrestling with a 2' step up we found a path out of the wash. But the trail got so narrow, I got some cactus in my legs, and my buddy banged up his clutch lever, so we limped the bikes back out and discovered at the proper trail head that it's a hiking trail. I'm not going to name it :)

"...Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing - end them."
Old 10-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #14455
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,356
Quote:
Sweet! I want to check out the old town of Total Wreck east of 83 as well. Or basically go anywhere that you see dirt roads winding into the mountains with undisclosed destinations!

Was just there last Wednesday. The typical access is closed due to construction. Had to go down to Empriita road/exit. The connecting roads are a little tough to find. I have the GPS track if you want it.

There is no "town". Just some old walls of the mining works and a lot of open shafts. The hill is a honeycomb. Still a very fun ride and great scenery.

Flashman1 screwed with this post 10-28-2013 at 01:37 PM
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #14456
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman1 View Post
Was just there last Wednesday. The typical access is closed due to construction. Had to go down to Empriita road/exit. The connecting roads are a little tough to find. I have the GPS track if you want it.

There is no "town". Just some old walls of the mining works and a lot of open shafts. The hill is a honeycomb. Still a very fun ride and great scenery.
Closed eh? Which road is that? My brother saw that there's some properties for sale out there (mailing address on total wreck road, anyone? :)

I'd Love those tracks, but you'll have to tell me how to read them...

I Love this forum!

Old 10-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #14457
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,356
Quote:
Closed eh? Which road is that?
I'd Love those tracks, but you'll have to tell me how to read them...

I Love this forum!

The funky dirt road off of I10 and Marsh Station road are closed - for now.

You can get there in at least 5 other access points - but they are very indirect.

Dude - get a GPS or if you have one I can teach you how to use it at the next Red Garter meeting.
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:21 PM   #14458
shezonit
just a few more miles,eh?

Oddometer: 273
Hi- I am traveling around AZ in my small RV and KLX250 on the back. When is the next Red Garter meeting? I have been to a dual sport riders meeting in Tucson a couple years back. Is this the same?
I'd like to do some off road near Tucson. Any assist would be great. Same to you when you come to Montana....
shezonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:52 PM   #14459
tmac13
SomeCallHimTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle4rley View Post
That sounds sweet. My bike is street legal, although that doesn't mean much, I can also wheel it into my pick up with my really steep driveway, getting it out is hard not having a ramp though. I've got tuesdays and fridays off or most afternoons.
I work the M-F schedule till 4 pm. Afternoons are good for little bit more before the daylight goes away too early. What's your weekend schedule like? Are afternoons doable?
Old 10-28-2013, 10:35 PM   #14460
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman1 View Post
The funky dirt road off of I10 and Marsh Station road are closed - for now.

You can get there in at least 5 other access points - but they are very indirect.

Dude - get a GPS or if you have one I can teach you how to use it at the next Red Garter meeting.
Well I've got an Android with GPS in it, but I haven't done much beyond mapped out streets with it.

As for RG... Well Thursday nights are a toughie for me.