ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #14536
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,509
Well, I had every intention of riding tomorrow. HOWEVER, took my 1100GS to Iron Horse. Long story short. They have had it for 10 days now and still not completed what they were to do. I get the distinct impression I am not high on the priority list and they put others in front of me. Once they do get inside (there seems to be a bearing shot in the tranny) who knows how long it will be. I really like the owner, but I have to say I have been really disappointed by the stuff that has happened in the past 2 weeks. Promises of getting it done and then they sank the sale to a guy without even telling me first there was an issue. Anyone else feel like this when dealing with them?
Old 11-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #14537
russbryant OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierTrailmaster View Post
Well, I had every intention of riding tomorrow. HOWEVER, took my 1100GS to Iron Horse. Long story short. They have had it for 10 days now and still not completed what they were to do. I get the distinct impression I am not high on the priority list and they put others in front of me. Once they do get inside (there seems to be a bearing shot in the tranny) who knows how long it will be. I really like the owner, but I have to say I have been really disappointed by the stuff that has happened in the past 2 weeks. Promises of getting it done and then they sank the sale to a guy without even telling me first there was an issue. Anyone else feel like this when dealing with them?
Sorry to hear about the bike troubles. I never had to use them for any service with my GS but they are old school bikes from 89 and 90 so not too complicated. They never have any parts for the old bikes so I don't really use them for parts either. But from what I hear thats normal for most all BMW dealers.

When did you pick up the GS?

Russ
Old 11-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #14538
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierTrailmaster View Post
... and then they sank the sale to a guy without even telling me first there was an issue. Anyone else feel like this when dealing with them?
I had a similar experience with them but from the other side of the sale. Last winter I was strongly considering purchasing an R100GS I found on Tucson CraigsList. It was currently at Iron Horse having a complete tuneup. I stopped by the shop to look at it and while talking to the service mngr, he commented that the drive shaft may have to be replaced in the near future. That was a deal killer for the price being asked. The seller wasn't happy that he lost the sale but I appreciated being given the heads up. I guess it works both ways.

Sorry we're not riding tomorrow.

Dave
Old 11-16-2013, 06:40 PM   #14539
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,509
I appreciate their honesty. What I don't appreciate is that they owe me the information first, not the potential buyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StmbtDave View Post
I had a similar experience with them but from the other side of the sale. Last winter I was strongly considering purchasing an R100GS I found on Tucson CraigsList. It was currently at Iron Horse having a complete tuneup. I stopped by the shop to look at it and while talking to the service mngr, he commented that the drive shaft may have to be replaced in the near future. That was a deal killer for the price being asked. The seller wasn't happy that he lost the sale but I appreciated being given the heads up. I guess it works both ways.

Dave
Old 11-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #14540
russbryant OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StmbtDave View Post

Dave
Dave,

I think I'm going to spend tomorrow fiddling with the suspension on my bike to see if I can adjust some of the harshness out of the front end. Was going to do it today but ended up at the Royal dealer at the auto mall with the wife buying her an SUV. I will admit it didn't suck as we got a smokin deal on it since she worked on their advertising for many years and she knows all the big shots from the owners on down.

I'm going to get signed up for the "There will be dust" ride for next weekend. Over a hundred miles and only 8 on pavement.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:52 PM   #14541
ten4dude
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by russbryant View Post
Dave,
I'm going to get signed up for the "There will be dust" ride for next weekend. Over a hundred miles and only 8 on pavement.
I'm signed up for the "There will be some dust" ride. I will be taking the easy route.
ten4dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #14542
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by ten4dude View Post
I'm signed up for the "There will be some dust" ride. I will be taking the easy route.
Heading in from LA to give this a go.
Let's ride!
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #14543
Guppy Gulch
2010 Ducati MTS1200S

Oddometer: 92
Question There will be Dust Route?

Anyone got the route info? Just curious if I can do it on my D616's. Offroad is great but extended areas of sand can be problematic.
Guppy Gulch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:50 AM   #14544
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 10,237
From my experience with the area to be ridden, there isn't a lot of sand. Most of it should be hard pack two track with loose gravel. I will look closer at the route today and see if there is anything to worry about.
emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #14545
mntdawg
NOT FRAGILE OR GREEN

Oddometer: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman1 View Post
Dawg - welcome back to AZ!
Thanks, just rolled in today, been pokin my nose around the Apache/Gila for a few days.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:02 PM   #14546
russbryant OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntdawg View Post
Thanks, just rolled in today, been pokin my nose around the Apache/Gila for a few days.
Welcome back and looking forward to seeing your reports and pics.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #14547
yzfcathy
Weeble

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntdawg View Post
Hey MtnD

Want some company sometime I'm around some. Got some weekdays too, although as T'Giving approaches we will be out visiting relatives.

Gobble, gobble
Cathy's Dumb Solo Ride
The John Penton Story, Movie project
yzfcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:14 AM   #14548
yzfcathy
Weeble

Oddometer: 1,220
RG tomorrow too

I see that tomorrow is the 3rd Thurs of the month....you know what that means, RG night. 6:30P.
Anyone up for a Thurs day ride, maybe take the F8 on a nice dirt road around here.
Cathy's Dumb Solo Ride
The John Penton Story, Movie project
yzfcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #14549
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Oddometer: 690
So I heard "There Will Be Dust" was canceled due to weather. Turns out there won't be dust...

I'm pretty sure there will be mud though!!

"...Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing - end them."
The spear has been shaken!!
Friedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #14550
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedom View Post
So I heard "There Will Be Dust" was canceled due to weather. Turns out there won't be dust...

I'm pretty sure there will be mud though!!

"...Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing - end them."
The spear has been shaken!!
Everything is still on for tomorrow. Just no refunds for the lack of dust.
Epic riding today.
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote