ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #14551
russbryant OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
Everything is still on for tomorrow. Just no refunds for the lack of dust.
Epic riding today.

I'm going to bail on this one. I'll ride it soon since I did get the track logs. I don't really have any cold weather riding gear right now. Haven't replaced it since the Vermont accident.

Russ
Old 11-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #14552
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntdawg View Post
Thanks, just rolled in today, been pokin my nose around the Apache/Gila for a few days.
How about a ride to see the piano on Tuesday or Wednesday?
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #14553
mntdawg
NOT FRAGILE OR GREEN

Oddometer: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman1 View Post
How about a ride to see the piano on Tuesday or Wednesday?
It's been a few years.
I've looked at it a bit on the map recently.
The sand should be in great shape.
Tuesday would be good.
PM for logistics.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:45 PM   #14554
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
Everything is still on for tomorrow. Just no refunds for the lack of dust.
Epic riding today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by russbryant View Post
I'm going to bail on this one. I'll ride it soon since I did get the track logs. I don't really have any cold weather riding gear right now. Haven't replaced it since the Vermont accident.

Russ
It really was a great ride. 35 riders and 10 no-shows. Should make a nice donation to the Amado Food Bank.

We had a bit of a delayed start to let it warm up just a bit and it did start out a bit nippy but before Aravaca I had shed my jacket and was riding in just my armor and a jersy. You don't encounter water and mud in the desert that often but the damp sand had fantastic grip.

Had a nice catered lunch in Sasabe then headed back. By the afternoon most all the mud holes had already begun to dry up. Got back to the Longhorn about 4:30 and I was definately glad I had put my jacket back on. It was a chilly ride up the Frontage road to GV.

This was my first road-book ride (with GPS backup) and it was a blast. It added another level of challange to the ride and once I got the hang of it, we could follow the route smoothly without even having to refer to the GPS.

Dave
Old 11-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #14555
Mr. NoMoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Chiva

Chiva falls was flowing really well today.
Mr. NoMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #14556
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Oddometer: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NoMoto View Post
Chiva falls was flowing really well today.
I was wondering if this storm made it up there. Was the wash flowing well coming from chiva pools also?

"...Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing - end them."
The spear has been shaken!!
Friedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:36 PM   #14557
russbryant OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by StmbtDave View Post
It really was a great ride. 35 riders and 10 no-shows. Should make a nice donation to the Amado Food Bank.

We had a bit of a delayed start to let it warm up just a bit and it did start out a bit nippy but before Aravaca I had shed my jacket and was riding in just my armor and a jersy. You don't encounter water and mud in the desert that often but the damp sand had fantastic grip.

Had a nice catered lunch in Sasabe then headed back. By the afternoon most all the mud holes had already begun to dry up. Got back to the Longhorn about 4:30 and I was definately glad I had put my jacket back on. It was a chilly ride up the Frontage road to GV.

This was my first road-book ride (with GPS backup) and it was a blast. It added another level of challange to the ride and once I got the hang of it, we could follow the route smoothly without even having to refer to the GPS.

Dave
Dave,

As soon as I decided not to go it pretty much guaranteed you a great day of riding

The nearly hour ride over to, and back from, the Longhorn was the part I was going to have trouble with. Which bike did you take and which route did you do?

I printed out the rollchart but not sure I would be able to follow one only because I wouldn't be able to see it. What holder did you use and how much can you enlarge the image and still have it fit in the holder?

Thanks,
Russ
Old 11-24-2013, 10:50 PM   #14558
erbemone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
There Will Be Dust gpx files

Does anyone have the GPX files for this ride today? I signed up in the morning, and didn't receive the tracks in advance. Great riding for sure.

Bemer
erbemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #14559
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbemone View Post
Does anyone have the GPX files for this ride today? I signed up in the morning, and didn't receive the tracks in advance. Great riding for sure.
PM sent...
Old 11-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #14560
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Quote:
Dave,

As soon as I decided not to go it pretty much guaranteed you a great day of riding

The nearly hour ride over to, and back from, the Longhorn was the part I was going to have trouble with. Which bike did you take and which route did you do?
I was looking for you but didn't see an R100GS so I assumed you were part of the 10 that paid but didn't ride. I took my dyslexic KTM 450EXC (540) as I was concerned about the conditions and I'm glad I did. I hooked up with two other guys and we rode the hard route. With the mud and loose rocky climbs, I wouldn't have wanted to muscle my GS over that route. With the mud, I don't think I would have wanted it on the easy route either but there were some big bikes there. I did see an R1200GS and two new KTM 1190's.

Quote:
I printed out the rollchart but not sure I would be able to follow one only because I wouldn't be able to see it. What holder did you use and how much can you enlarge the image and still have it fit in the holder?
I picked up a cheapie holder up at Cycle Gear. It's only 2 3/4" wide and the chart just fit. I have seen guys mention readers 5" wide but haven't seen one. I ride with my glasses on and didn't have any trouble reading the chart. With the simple diagrams and the color coding, a quick glance is all it takes.

An issue I hadn't considered until I started the ride was that the adjustable/resettable trip meter on the KTM made the chart reading much easier. If the chart had a turn at 11.5 and my odo read 11.7, I could adjust it down so the following points would be correct. My speedo/odo on the GS is so far out that it would have been a pain trying to calculate the corrections.

Dave
Old 11-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #14561
Mr. NoMoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedom View Post
I was wondering if this storm made it up there. Was the wash flowing well coming from chiva pools also?

"...Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing - end them."
The wash at the beginning of Reddington Rd wasn't flowing at all, but there was lots of water to play in at the river crossings below the falls.
Mr. NoMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #14562
mntdawg
NOT FRAGILE OR GREEN

Oddometer: 935
Where are all the pictures??????

After running around the Old Pueblo today, I took the back road to Benson.
I could not resist the Reddington ATV trail.

Over the pass the Galiuros dominate the eastern skyline.

The San Pedro had a good summer.
Up stream, Mica mountain in the distance.

Down stream, the northern end of the Galiuro and Sombrero butte.

After I hit the Cochise county line, the river road was in the finest shape ever, the county spent two years getting it that way.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:26 AM   #14563
SOLOKLR
almost retired

Oddometer: 142
saturday?

Anyone want to ride Saturday? I have to go to phoenix with the family for Thanksgiving, but Saturday is all mine. Its time I see some of these sights I keep reading about.
Steverauklr@gmail.com
SOLOKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #14564
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Oddometer: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLOKLR View Post
Anyone want to ride Saturday? I have to go to phoenix with the family for Thanksgiving, but Saturday is all mine. Its time I see some of these sights I keep reading about.
Love to man, but Sunday was likely my last ride for awhile. Great seeing you there, though! I actually had the go pro running when we passed your bike taking a mud nap coming up the mountain. And yet yours still came out cleaner than mine..

Friedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:07 AM   #14565
SOLOKLR
almost retired

Oddometer: 142
Sounds like a great time, but that must have been some other guy. I haven't gotten the bike out in about 3 weeks.
Steverauklr@gmail.com
SOLOKLR is offline   Reply With Quote