ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #14566
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Oddometer: 246
Well i feel sheepish.. Who was that masked man?

"...Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing - end them."
The spear has been shaken!!
Friedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #14567
Mr. NoMoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLOKLR View Post
Anyone want to ride Saturday? I have to go to phoenix with the family for Thanksgiving, but Saturday is all mine. Its time I see some of these sights I keep reading about.
I'd like to go. I'll have to check with the boss and get back to you. Were you thinking of any place in particular?
Mr. NoMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #14568
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,382
Quote:
Anyone want to ride Saturday? I have to go to phoenix with the family for Thanksgiving, but Saturday is all mine. Its time I see some of these sights I keep reading about.
I don't know what kind of rider you are, but there is a great yearly ride out of Globe. The 5th annual Coke Ovens run. Pretty challenging but a lot of great guys and the Coke Ovens are really cool to see.
HoosierTrailmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #14569
SOLOKLR
almost retired

Oddometer: 135
I'll ride anything. If you know some good spots, lead the way. I moved here about 5 months ago and haven't had many chances to get out. That's life as a dad.
How good a rider i am? I never know how to answer that question. I usually ride with my son, he's just learning so not much to compare with. I'd guess a little better than average.
Steverauklr@gmail.com
SOLOKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #14570
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,382
Are you riding a KLR? If so, probably more ride than you want to take on. This is very rocky with some loose steep climbs. Not that it can't be done, but you have to be a pretty good rider and probably would require that the suspension was redone from stock.
HoosierTrailmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #14571
SOLOKLR
almost retired

Good to know. I was looking at some of the bikes people were listing they would be riding. The KLR is like riding a buffalo. I've gotten it into some places it had no business being, but its only let me down once.
Steverauklr@gmail.com
Old 11-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #14572
Mr. NoMoto
Adventurer

Saturday ride

I'd love to do the globe thing but it would probably require a longer leash than I have for that day. I'm in for riding on Saturday, but I would probably want to do something a little more local to cut down on time spent in travel.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #14573
SOLOKLR
almost retired

Pick the time and place. I'm ready to go
Steverauklr@gmail.com
Old 11-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #14574
Mr. NoMoto
Adventurer

Quote:
Pick the time and place. I'm ready to go
As far as time goes... I'd like to get out early. Hopefully heading toward the riding destination by 5:30 or 6:00 am.

The destination is where it gets tricky because I really don't know my way around or to many places. I've always kinda been hoping that rides would get posted that someone else was leading so I could start learning where everything is.

The only places I really know are the power line area off of Tangerine and the Reddington pass area. Of those two I'd rather go exploring in the Reddington pass area. Gunsite pass area is great fun too, but I don't really know how to get in there or where to go once I'm in.

Let me know what you're thinking and we'll go from there.

I'll pm you my phone # so coordinating can be done a little easier.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:23 AM   #14575
Harold Waikiki
oldfatdumbbrokeoutof

Oddometer: 322
organ pipe cactus natl monument

i am driving down from north of seattle around dec 8th to organ pipe. truck, camper, trailer with 3 bikes. will be around for 2-3 weeks. i would really appreciate info on riding in this area. would love to meet up for day rides. i will prob have my 990, 950 SE, and my 530. is it safe to ride in mexico from here? thanks!!
'09 KTM 530 EXC, '12 KTM 350 EXC
'82 Honda CT 110
Harold Waikiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #14576
SOLOKLR
almost retired

Good Ride

Thanks to Mr. NoMoto,
Good meeting you today. Thanks for the fun ride.
Steverauklr@gmail.com
Old 12-01-2013, 06:39 AM   #14577
operaflute
Starving Artist

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Waikiki View Post
i am driving down from north of seattle around dec 8th to organ pipe. truck, camper, trailer with 3 bikes. will be around for 2-3 weeks. i would really appreciate info on riding in this area. would love to meet up for day rides. i will prob have my 990, 950 SE, and my 530. is it safe to ride in mexico from here? thanks!!
General riding in Mexico rules:
Don't ride at night.
Border areas are more dangerous - when touring, the rule of thumb is to cross the border early and head south directly.

As far as off-roading near the border for the day... curious what others from the area will say.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #14578
Mr. NoMoto
Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks to Mr. NoMoto,
Good meeting you today. Thanks for the fun ride.

Right back at ya!

I am greatly impressed by your bouncing up and down rocky hills upon a KLR abilities.

The adventure continued even after you left. I managed to leave my boots sitting next the rock I was sitting on when I took them off. So when I got home and realized they weren't with me I went barreling back to the trail head. Fortunately they were still there.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #14579
Mr. NoMoto
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by operaflute View Post
General riding in Mexico rules:
Don't ride at night.
Border areas are more dangerous - when touring, the rule of thumb is to cross the border early and head south directly.

As far as off-roading near the border for the day... curious what others from the area will say.

I've ridden a couple times down along the border wall and everything was fine. However, I have a friend who works on the border patrol and he certainly made it sound like riding down there could be a little dicey. I would say for the most part it's probably fine, but there's certainly an elevated risk that close to the border. You're much more likely to get bitten by a shark swimming in the ocean than you are in a swimming pool. Even riding Ruby Rd from Arivaca, the BP presence is hard to miss, so you know that there's stuff going on in the area for sure.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:03 AM   #14580
russbryant OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NoMoto View Post
I've ridden a couple times down along the border wall and everything was fine. However, I have a friend who works on the border patrol and he certainly made it sound like riding down there could be a little dicey. I would say for the most part it's probably fine, but there's certainly an elevated risk that close to the border. You're much more likely to get bitten by a shark swimming in the ocean than you are in a swimming pool. Even riding Ruby Rd from Arivaca, the BP presence is hard to miss, so you know that there's stuff going on in the area for sure.
It's one of those things where it's perfectly fine right up to the point where it goes really bad. There really isn't much middle ground. Riding through the area during the day is relatively safe. Camping raises the risk considerably. It get's active at night.

Numbers play a part too. If it's just you vs you and a few friends.

This is all opinion on my part as I have no first hand experience camping near the border.