ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #14581
Harold Waikiki
oldfatdumbbrokeoutof

Oddometer: 300
organ pipe cactus natl monument

looks to be tons of riding north of the border. i'm camping in the national monument CG at organ pipe. it looks like lots of dirt roads/old jeep trails in the wildlife refuge, the 2 national monuments, the Res, and BLM land around ajo. this info i derived from AZ delorme atlas. hope some of you want to meet and ride so i don't go it all alone. thanks!
'09 KTM 530 EXC (610 big bore kit)
'82 Honda CT 110
Harold Waikiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #14582
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 9,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Waikiki View Post
looks to be tons of riding north of the border. i'm camping in the national monument CG at organ pipe. it looks like lots of dirt roads/old jeep trails in the wildlife refuge, the 2 national monuments, the Res, and BLM land around ajo. this info i derived from AZ delorme atlas. hope some of you want to meet and ride so i don't go it all alone. thanks!
Strangely enough, the legal dirt riding north of the fence there is fairly limited due to all of the things you listed... national monument, indian reservation and the Cabeza Prieta(BLM).

You can't legally ride the dirt on the Tohono O'odom reservation. The Organ Pipe NM has a couple of extremely short loops of dirt that are graded and maintained that would be boring even on a 990. And the Cabeza requires a special permit due to the wildlife. Not that difficult to get, but the riding is pretty limited and restricted to basically a single route... and don't forget your dune flag, it's required.

If you want a variety of riding and company, including technical single track, you're much better off coming to the Tucson or Phoenix area.

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #14583
pig-bun
Feeding the World

Oddometer: 24
Any rides Feb 15-16?

I need to book a flight for a meeting but I would rather drive out and ride a few days. I have never ridden in AZ but would love to, just not alone the first time. Any plans that far out.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #14584
yzfcathy
Weeble

Oddometer: 1,184
Rides

Quote:
i am driving down from north of seattle around dec 8th to organ pipe. truck, camper, trailer with 3 bikes. will be around for 2-3 weeks. i would really appreciate info on riding in this area. would love to meet up for day rides. i will prob have my 990, 950 SE, and my 530. is it safe to ride in mexico from here? thanks!!
I can ride Dec. 9-12, but will be on the F800 until my 200 parts show up.
Cathy's Dumb Solo Ride
The John Penton Story, Movie project
yzfcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:02 AM   #14585
Harold Waikiki
oldfatdumbbrokeoutof

Thumb oragan pipe

[QUOTE=emerson.biguns;22898124]Strangely enough, the legal dirt riding north of the fence there is fairly limited due to all of the things you listed... national monument, indian reservation and the Cabeza Prieta(BLM).

You can't legally ride the dirt on the Tohono O'odom reservation. The Organ Pipe NM has a couple of extremely short loops of dirt that are graded and maintained that would be boring even on a 990. And the Cabeza requires a special permit due to the wildlife. Not that difficult to get, but the riding is pretty limited and restricted to basically a single route... and don't forget your dune flag, it's required.

If you want a variety of riding and company, including technical single track, you're much better off coming to the Tucson or Phoenix area.

sounds smart. any ideas where to camp within, say, 30 miles of UA?. my bikes are all plated and would like to camp somewhere sunny, safe,warm, and lots of hiking, riding, etc. Don't really want to be urban. Want to be somewhat remote. prob not camp in the mountains to be as warm as possible.
thanks for the responses!
'82 Honda CT 110
Old 12-02-2013, 05:23 AM   #14586
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,382
When you say "camping" do you mean a trailer or a tent? Two very different things in my mind. If it was me, I would camp somewhere in the Santa Ritas (South of Tucson). From there you can make any number of day trips.
HoosierTrailmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:37 AM   #14587
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,953
Off topic question:

Any one ever cut your own Christmas tree? I know you can get a permit and go to a national forest and do it for $15, and it looks like theres a tree farm in Flagstaff. Which is a better option?

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #14588
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Quote:

sounds smart. any ideas where to camp within, say, 30 miles of UA?. my bikes are all plated and would like to camp somewhere sunny, safe,warm, and lots of hiking, riding, etc. Don't really want to be urban. Want to be somewhat remote. prob not camp in the mountains to be as warm as possible.
thanks for the responses!
Off the top of my head this was an idea:

Gilbert Ray Campground

I would imagine parks and those sorts of "public" campgrounds will be filled with snowbirds, but not positive.

Or, if you can handle dry camping, there are lots options with awesome riding 10' from your camper.

Any where north on Willow Springs Road you can pull off, set up, light a fire and enjoy the desert.

There is A LOT of variety within a stones throw along Willow Springs.

You may want to think about stopping through Ajo and riding the Camino del Diablo while you can. It's worth it and a two day out and back to Yuma. After you've checked that box head over to Tucson and set up for the duration.

If you have any more details of your requirements let us know, we'll get you set up.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #14589
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
Off topic question:

Any one ever cut your own Christmas tree? I know you can get a permit and go to a national forest and do it for $15, and it looks like theres a tree farm in Flagstaff. Which is a better option?
We use to do it over in Alamogordo. Head up the mountain and cut a tree in the Lincoln NF. It was fun, the tree was fresh and the funniest part we made Charlie Brown's tree look lush. It was hard finding a tree that was "Christmas tree-like". The native trees aren't "christmas trees" so they'll be a little pitiful.

Around here, the drive sort of negates the benefit. If you're doing it for the experience, go for it.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #14590
Harold Waikiki
oldfatdumbbrokeoutof

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson.biguns View Post

Gilbert Ray Campground

I would imagine parks and those sorts of "public" campgrounds will be filled with snowbirds, but not positive.

Or, if you can handle dry camping, there are lots options with awesome riding 10' from your camper.

Any where north on Willow Springs Road you can pull off, set up, light a fire and enjoy the desert.

You may want to think about stopping through Ajo and riding the Camino del Diablo while you can. It's worth it and a two day out and back to Yuma. After you've checked that box head over to Tucson and set up for the duration.

If you have any more details of your requirements let us know, we'll get you set up.
Thanks for the info. Digesting.
'82 Honda CT 110
Old 12-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #14591
Mr. NoMoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:

Gilbert Ray Campground

You stole my only idea. The Gilbert Ray Campground seemed to fit the bill quite well.
Mr. NoMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:38 AM   #14592
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,953
Quote:
We use to do it over in Alamogordo. Head up the mountain and cut a tree in the Lincoln NF. It was fun, the tree was fresh and the funniest part we made Charlie Brown's tree look lush. It was hard finding a tree that was "Christmas tree-like". The native trees aren't "christmas trees" so they'll be a little pitiful.

Around here, the drive sort of negates the benefit. If you're doing it for the experience, go for it.
Yep, just for the experience. My fiancee has never cut her own tree, I've done a few tree farms in the past, but never just out in the forest.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:40 AM   #14593
Harold Waikiki
oldfatdumbbrokeoutof

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierTrailmaster View Post
When you say "camping" do you mean a trailer or a tent? Two very different things in my mind. If it was me, I would camp somewhere in the Santa Ritas (South of Tucson). From there you can make any number of day trips.
truck, camper, trailer with 3 ktm's
'82 Honda CT 110
Old 12-03-2013, 06:17 AM   #14594
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,828
If you're looking for an organized type campground (non-KOA), there is Catalina State Park on the north side of Tucson. There are lots of areas to ride north of town and that campground would be very convienent. The Santa Rita area has lots of disbursed camp sites and good riding but would it be wilderness (no facilities) camping.

Dave
Old 12-03-2013, 06:36 AM   #14595
Harold Waikiki
oldfatdumbbrokeoutof

Quote:
Originally Posted by StmbtDave View Post
If you're looking for an organized type campground (non-KOA), there is Catalina State Park on the north side of Tucson. There are lots of areas to ride north of town and that campground would be very convienent. The Santa Rita area has lots of disbursed camp sites and good riding but would it be wilderness (no facilities) camping.

Dave
this sounds good. showers. my special lady friend will like it. lets ride if any one wants to meet up. should be in tucson area around about dec 15-30. looks like easier access to riding than camping at gilbert ray CG.
'82 Honda CT 110