ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2013, 08:11 AM   #14626
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierTrailmaster View Post
I saw that you were looking at the 650 X Challenge in Phoenix.
Yeah, I am looking for something along those lines. High miles but seems to be maintained. It's got good extras but I'd have to change springs. There is another one in PHX with very low miles for a little more but not much extras. Seller can't even bother to send me any extra pics besides the single one on CL though because "it's stuck in the corner of the garage". WTF?
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #14627
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Yeah, I am looking for something along those lines. High miles but seems to be maintained. It's got good extras but I'd have to change springs. There is another one in PHX with very low miles for a little more but not much extras. Seller can't even bother to send me any extra pics besides the single one on CL though because "it's stuck in the corner of the garage". WTF?
I know, I contacted the guy in Phoenix about the other bike too. The one listed here the guy wants too much with the mileage and the fact he had to replace the front wheel with something besides the matching stock tells me he rode it hard. The good news is he did the suspension change out, which is expensive. The other bike probably has the stock "air" shock which sucks.
HoosierTrailmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #14628
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,101
Quote:
I know, I contacted the guy in Phoenix about the other bike too. The one listed here the guy wants too much with the mileage and the fact he had to replace the front wheel with something besides the matching stock tells me he rode it hard. The good news is he did the suspension change out, which is expensive. The other bike probably has the stock "air" shock which sucks.
So are you still considering the non-modded one? Just trying to gauge my bargaining position.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #14629
johnlt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
The toughest part is the climb from the creek at the bottom of Rug Hill to the saddle...West to East. You escaped that by coming from the East. However, the climb up the backside of the saddle is no picnic either. I want to do it right after the new year when it is cooler.
Does this road go through "the ruins" area of Copper Creek about 10 miles east of mammoth? I've been to the ruins many times and even a little ways east of there on a pretty bad road. There is even a crashed airplane in that canyon. The last time I went there, there was a locked gate in the middle of a very steep decent into the ruins. Had to do a U turn and crawl out. Is the gate still there?
1975 BMW R75/6
Yamaha WR250R
johnlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #14630
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlt View Post
Does this road go through "the ruins" area of Copper Creek about 10 miles east of mammoth? I've been to the ruins many times and even a little ways east of there on a pretty bad road. There is even a crashed airplane in that canyon. The last time I went there, there was a locked gate in the middle of a very steep decent into the ruins. Had to do a U turn and crawl out. Is the gate still there?

No, that is the easy ride. This starts to the left of where you start to go down into Copper Creek Canyon. You are talking about Sibbley Mansion...that is still private property and locked up. Where is the plane crash you speak of? I will say toward the end of Copper Creek the last mile or so up the creek to Sibbley Mansion is a bitch.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #14631
johnlt
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
No, that is the easy ride. This starts to the left of where you start to go down into Copper Creek Canyon. You are talking about Sibbley Mansion...that is still private property and locked up. Where is the plane crash you speak of? I will say toward the end of Copper Creek the last mile or so up the creek to Sibbley Mansion is a bitch.
I've been to the Mansion two ways; one was up the creek and the other was down a steep descent. The last time it was the steep descent where the locked gate was located. From Sibley Mansion, you can continue upstream toward the east on a bad road. Gets very rocky in the areas that go through the creek. About a mile east of the Mansion following the creek, there is a crashed airplane. Only parts remain including the tail feathers. Looks like as a single engine all aluminum (unpainted) aircraft.
1975 BMW R75/6
Yamaha WR250R
Old 12-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #14632
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 9,945
I've looked for that crash from the air without any luck. It's a PT-19 or something like that. I found it on the web some place.
emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #14633
johnlt
Studly Adventurer

Plane wreck location

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson.biguns View Post
I've looked for that crash from the air without any luck. It's a PT-19 or something like that. I found it on the web some place.

If you go to this link:

http://www.experience-az.com/adventu...creekmap.html#

and go to the last map shown, it is called out on the topo. You can also go to the Copper Creek home page and read a little about it.
1975 BMW R75/6
Yamaha WR250R
Old 12-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #14634
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 9,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlt View Post
If you go to this link:
Excellent, thanks!

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #14635
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,860
Went for a ride today exploring some new roads/trails down by the MX border. We were south of Patagonia, in Meadow Valley, trying to get to Canelo Pass. We could see the main road but were twarted by a gate. Had to give up and backtrack to Harshaw Road. Guess not everyone welcomes drop in guests.

Dave
Old 12-13-2013, 06:01 AM   #14636
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by StmbtDave View Post
Went for a ride today exploring some new roads/trails down by the MX border. We were south of Patagonia, in Meadow Valley, trying to get to Canelo Pass. We could see the main road but were twarted by a gate. Had to give up and backtrack to Harshaw Road. Guess not everyone welcomes drop in guests.

Dave
I've done quite a bit of riding in that area, but haven't seen that one.

Was that you I met having lunch with a couple other riders back in early March at Bay of LA in Baja? My wife and I were on an 1100GS working our way back north after riding all the way down to Cabo and spending a few days in La Paz. I'm in Maine now, but headed back to AZ after the holidays.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:05 AM   #14637
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Quote:

Dave
Seems to me where that sign is located it is pretty much falling on blind eyes...now if it was in Spanish, that would be a different story
Old 12-13-2013, 08:09 AM   #14638
mntdawg
NOT FRAGILE OR GREEN

Oddometer: 866
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/247
Old 12-13-2013, 05:31 PM   #14639
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Oddometer: 249
Quote:

Dave
He forgot to say "Please".

Shame you missed Canelo pass. It's beautiful. Especially if coming from the East side, crest the pass and suddenly there's an open vista of gorgeous plains and wide open spaces.

"...Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing - end them."
The spear has been shaken!!
Friedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #14640
Harold Waikiki
oldfatdumbbrokeoutof

Oddometer: 324
Devils hwy.

Anyone want to ride from Ajo to Wellton via el camino del diablo on Tuesday December 17th? One way ride. I'm being met in Wellton. Meet at cabeza prieta NWR in Ajo at 8 so all of you can get your permits. It'll be an adventure! Call in sick! C'mon!! Don't let me do this alone! Thanks!
'09 KTM 530 EXC, '12 KTM 350 EXC
'82 Honda CT 110
Harold Waikiki is offline   Reply With Quote