ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2014, 08:51 AM   #14806
alaskasail
Never Owned a Harley

Oddometer: 39
Arivaca Outback

I thought I'd posted on this thread, but I don't see it.

So, we'll be doing the 3rd (or is it 4th) annual "Arivaca Outback" this coming weekend (Feb 8-9). If you want to come early or stay late we can do that. Come up for the weekend or just a day, no matter. I have two houses, a 34' Avion trailer and 60 acres you can camp on or in. If you confirm, I'll serve you sourdough pancakes on Sunday morning. Depending on the turnout we'll have food Saturday night as well. There is also food/drink at "Sweat Peas" restaurant and bar food at the La Gitana (good Burgers).

Some pictures: https://picasaweb.google.com/1065483...aca?feat=email

Some old info. posted on the KLR650 Forum.
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=107461

An example of a ride: http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip....924c04b41bb4c0
There are more under "alaskasail" at http://www.everytrail.com/

We'll meet for breakfast at the Coffee shop at the top of the hill at 9am Saturday morning. Then we can go from there or over to my place if you want to drop off any extra baggage or we can also head right out to ride.

To get to my place just go right on through Arivaca staying to the right when the road splits. Go about 2 miles (towards Sasabe) to the "10 mile" marker and you will see a bunch of rocks and a medallion from the Panama canal. Just go up the hill to one or the other of the houses.

PM me for any questions.

-A
Old 02-03-2014, 09:05 AM   #14807
alaskasail
Never Owned a Harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonder View Post
John, did you find these fellas playing "share the road" with you?

A lot of the back roads going high before Greaterville to Gardner Canyon(4113, 4084, 4085, etc.) were also graded recently. Nice day for a ride.
I drove my Honda Accord right under (well.... almost) a big, jet black one when I was blinded by a truck on the Arivaca Road. Knocked out the windshield and back window as well as added several dent's. We we're only going about 20mph so the cow/steer got up and ran away!

Old 02-04-2014, 09:05 AM   #14808
NewtAZ
"did you say tacos?"

The Arivaca ride sounds fun. i may have to work this weekend and won't know for sure until friday morning. i will check back on this post and let you know as i get info
NewtAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:17 PM   #14809
SOLOKLR
almost retired

Oddometer: 133
klx 110

I was thinking about selling my kids klx 110. Before I battle craigslist and the African prince that wants to send me million, thought I'd ask around here.
Steverauklr@gmail.com
SOLOKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:00 AM   #14810
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierTrailmaster View Post
Ok fellow Tucson riders, who wants to try the Santa Rita Mountains ride again. Start at the very South end of Wilmont Road. Let me know whether this Saturday or Sunday works better. Giving some advance notice here
Is this ride still on? I'm looking to see if I'm available and if I'll trust the KLR250 for that kind of distance.. But sounds like a great day!

"...Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing - end them."
The spear has been shaken!!
Friedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:17 PM   #14811
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Hey does anyone by chance know who had this KLR 250 I just bought before Gmoney? Looking to see if I can get some history on it..

"...Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing - end them."
Old 02-05-2014, 01:41 PM   #14812
erbemone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedom View Post
Is this ride still on? I'm looking to see if I'm available and if I'll trust the KLR250 for that kind of distance.. But sounds like a great day!

Im up for riding this Saturday.

Bemer
erbemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:32 PM   #14813
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,382
I am happy to show you guys the Santa Ritas if you want.
HoosierTrailmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:37 PM   #14814
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Quote:
Hey does anyone by chance know who had this KLR 250 I just bought before Gmoney? Looking to see if I can get some history on it..

I thought Drizzt (James) said he owned it before. Being that it is 20+ years old, I would bet it has had a 1/2 dozen or more owners. It was a $350 bike man...it has been beaten to death I am sure...the positive side is they are tough as nails.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:01 PM   #14815
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Quote:
I thought Drizzt (James) said he owned it before. Being that it is 20+ years old, I would bet it has had a 1/2 dozen or more owners. It was a $350 bike man...it has been beaten to death I am sure...the positive side is they are tough as nails.
For sure, I just figured I'd ask. Maybe I can find out if my issues are induced by my own tinkering, or pre existing. As well as any known mods done. I see the airbox was opened up a little, and the air screw was out at 3 1/4 turns. No sign of power in the electrical/lighting system, so hard to set idle to factory with no tach, etc...
Turns the header red hot in 10 min of riding around my neighborhood also, that normal? It's certainly not because it's hot out..
Uh oh, I'm not in a wrenching thread...

Old 02-05-2014, 05:09 PM   #14816
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Quote:
For sure, I just figured I'd ask. Maybe I can find out if my issues are induced by my own tinkering, or pre existing. As well as any known mods done. I see the airbox was opened up a little, and the air screw was out at 3 1/4 turns. No sign of power in the electrical/lighting system, so hard to set idle to factory with no tach, etc...
Turns the header red hot in 10 min of riding around my neighborhood also, that normal? It's certainly not because it's hot out..
Uh oh, I'm not in a wrenching thread...

It is running way lean. You need a new pilot jet, it is either gummed up or too small for the temperatures right now. Lean is real dangerous, you will seize the engine if you continue. Is it a Keihin or Mukuni? You should never go beyond 2 1/2 turns out and less than 1 turn from closed. If you go more than 2 1/2 out you need to go next size up...if you go less than 1 turn you need to go to the next size down.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:15 PM   #14817
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oh, you might also check the header to manifold...if that is leaking you will get a false read on your carburation and...it will run very lean as it is getting too much air in the head.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:19 PM   #14818
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Quote:
It is running way lean. You need a new pilot jet, it is either gummed up or too small for the temperatures right now. Lean is real dangerous, you will seize the engine if you continue. Is it a Keihin or Mukuni? You should never go beyond 2 1/2 turns out and less than 1 turn from closed. If you go more than 2 1/2 out you need to go next size up...if you go less than 1 turn you need to go to the next size down.
Thank you, that confirms my suspicions. I turned the air screw back into 2, but she idles real high and only drops if i turn the idle screw low enough then stalls. Smells lean too. I must have missed the pullout jet when i briefly cleaned it. I'll check that first, then move to a larger jet if no progress made. Between that and chasing electrical issues, should be an easy fix.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:45 PM   #14819
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,826
Quote:
... should be an easy fix.
And so his last words were uttered as he disappeared down the rabbit hole .

Dave
Old 02-05-2014, 07:07 PM   #14820
BigKnobby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Arizona in May - good time to ride?

Greetings fellow inmates...

I'm thinking about making a trip to AZ in May to enjoy some desert riding. I also want to venture into southern Utah to check out Escalante/Monument.

Would May be a good time of year to do this? Or does it already get pretty hot by then?

If things look good weather-wise, I'd be looking for some local guidance on day rides out of Tucson and maybe a dirt circuit around Escalante. For what it's worth, I'll be on a DR650 with an IMS tank.

Thanks in advance...

P.S. It's 5 degrees in Omaha right now. What the...