ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2014, 08:12 PM   #14821
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedom View Post
Thank you, that confirms my suspicions. I turned the air screw back into 2, but she idles real high and only drops if i turn the idle screw low enough then stalls. Smells lean too. I must have missed the pullout jet when i briefly cleaned it. I'll check that first, then move to a larger jet if no progress made. Between that and chasing electrical issues, should be an easy fix.

"...Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing - end them."
The spear has been shaken!!
If it idles faster when you turn it in, the header problem isn't the carburation. That is what you want. Turn it in or out until you get the fastest idle, then turn your idle adjustment screw down, but if your head pipe is glowing you have a leak at the manifold. You need a new manifold gasket or use some high heat gasket material to seal it, or you have a crack in your pipe. With that said, you won't ever get the carb adjusted right until you have no air coming in at the manifold.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:26 PM   #14822
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedom View Post
Hey does anyone by chance know who had this KLR 250 I just bought before Gmoney? Looking to see if I can get some history on it..

"...Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing - end them."
I owned it before Gmoney. Shoot me a pm and i'll let you know what issues I fixed, but I literally only owned it a week. It ran fine for the few rides I took it on carb wise

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things? Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:45 PM   #14823
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Oddometer: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierTrailmaster View Post
If it idles faster when you turn it in, the header problem isn't the carburation. That is what you want. Turn it in or out until you get the fastest idle, then turn your idle adjustment screw down, but if your head pipe is glowing you have a leak at the manifold. You need a new manifold gasket or use some high heat gasket material to seal it, or you have a crack in your pipe. With that said, you won't ever get the carb adjusted right until you have no air coming in at the manifold.
What I'm taking about can't really be described as a high idle. More like, you know how some bikes get real revvy and tach up right before the fuel bowl empties? That sort of thing. Air leak makes perfect sense. I'll spray some carb cleaner around the manifold and see what the reaction is. There's a decent amount of gasket material all over it. Maybe I should check out some parts to order.

I greatly appreciate your feedback HTM.

Friedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:11 AM   #14824
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

OK, trying to firm up my weekend...who is in on Saturday for the Santa Rita's? If nobody is interested I will move on.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:27 PM   #14825
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Sunday is a maybe for me, Saturday a no go.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:50 PM   #14826
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,349
Quote:
OK, trying to firm up my weekend...who is in on Saturday for the Santa Rita's? If nobody is interested I will move on.
What time were you thinking meeting and how long of a ride did you plan? Put the new shock on the Xch and was planning on doing the springs this weekend but........
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:22 PM   #14827
erbemone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:

I'm in.

Bemer
erbemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #14828
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Ok, let's say 9:30 at the very end of Wilmont Road (there is a gate there to State Trust land). I will meet Ebemone at the Shell Station off I-10 at 9am and then we will ride down. Plan on being back to the staging area by 1:30. We will get gas and a snack at the Shell station in Sonoita. Nothing too tough, perhaps a little rocky in places, but I have ridden with someone that rode it on a KLR before. One little single track segment, but we can get everyone through if there is someone lacking in confidence.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:54 PM   #14829
*Gmoney*
don't look here

Oddometer: 910
Hey Friedom
I'll give you a hundred dollars for it.

*Gmoney* screwed with this post 02-06-2014 at 03:59 PM
*Gmoney* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:22 PM   #14830
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Is this Saturday?

Old 02-06-2014, 04:29 PM   #14831
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

If you mean the ride...yes...sorry.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:52 PM   #14832
erbemone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Ok, let's say 9:30 at the very end of Wilmont Road (there is a gate there to State Trust land). I will meet Ebemone at the Shell Station off I-10 at 9am and then we will ride down. Plan on being back to the staging area by 1:30. We will get gas and a snack at the Shell station in Sonoita. Nothing too tough, perhaps a little rocky in places, but I have ridden with someone that rode it on a KLR before. One little single track segment, but we can get everyone through if there is someone lacking in confidence.
See you at 9am. I'm on a blue DRZ with a big headlight.

Bemer
erbemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:07 PM   #14833
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Quote:
If you mean the ride...yes...sorry.
Probably too soon for a virgin ride of that size, anyways.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:08 AM   #14834
johnlt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
Quote:
Might the single track be the connector between the top of Gardner Canyon and Cave Canyon?
1975 BMW R75/6
Yamaha WR250R
johnlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:15 AM   #14835
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlt View Post
Might the single track be the connector between the top of Gardner Canyon and Cave Canyon?
Yup...that be it.