ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2014, 06:32 PM   #14851
*Gmoney*
don't look here

Oddometer: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedom View Post
No dash lights, no tach, no brake/head/running lights, neutral indicator, nothing. I know the mag is generating voltage because I can hear the battery bubbling as soon as the bike is running. The wires going into the R/R look like they've had a hard life, so I'll help them out. But I really just need to do some traces with a volt meter and track it down. I had a spare RR from the 600 that probably would have fit, but it sadly went with the 600. What's happening in Pomeranian?

"...Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing - end them."
The spear has been shaken!!
I like the way I spell it

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...68&postcount=1
*Gmoney* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:05 PM   #14852
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Oddometer: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Gmoney* View Post
:P Maybe I'll see you up there on your Honda :)

"...Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing - end them."
Friedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:56 PM   #14853
gnadenlos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Um pretty sure I didn't tighten down the pilot jet. Went from idling awesome to a little black smoke to tons of black smoke way rich won't idle. I think the jet fell into the bowl. Lol. Is loctite a bad idea on brass?

Cheers :)

Hey Fried! Congrats on the new bike - not a good idea to loctite jets.
Sounds like you are close to getting all the bugs worked out on the new chopper (klr 250)! hope to ride with ya again soon...
I still want to ride the santa ritas - found the wilmont gate once and didnt know what to think of the state trust land signs... Mabey a sunday ride sometime - my wife and I want to check it out. (she rides an xt225!)
Cheers!

... does the red Garter still happen?
Old 02-09-2014, 07:32 PM   #14854
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnadenlos View Post
Hey Fried! Congrats on the new bike - not a good idea to loctite jets.
Sounds like you are close to getting all the bugs worked out on the new chopper (klr 250)! hope to ride with ya again soon...
I still want to ride the santa ritas - found the wilmont gate once and didnt know what to think of the state trust land signs... Mabey a sunday ride sometime - my wife and I want to check it out. (she rides an xt225!)
Cheers!

... does the red Garter still happen?
Hey! I think that this will be a better device for exploring. It's definitely lighter and gets better mileage. I am a lighter guy so I don't need all that extra power l_o_l.

I was half kidding about the Loctite in the jet, and in any case I opened it today and everything looks fine in the bowl, and the Jets were seated properly. It's running rich right when the transition goes from the pilot jet to the main jet approaching 1/4 throttle. It will bog down and smoke a lot right around a quarter throttle, but if I open it up she takes off again and feels great on the top.
Thinking about raising the needle clip a notch, or maybe it just needs the air jet leaner still. Out is leaner on Keihen carbs, right?
As for red garter, dunno. Thursdays are not my days.
Maybe I can get my lady to come out and play on the DR350. Heck of a double date! (note: this will never happen, she won't do anything but passenge)

Friedom screwed with this post 02-09-2014 at 07:44 PM
Old 02-09-2014, 08:01 PM   #14855
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,453
Quote:
Hey! I think that this will be a better device for exploring. It's definitely lighter and gets better mileage. I am a lighter guy so I don't need all that extra power l_o_l.

I was half kidding about the Loctite in the jet, and in any case I opened it today and everything looks fine in the bowl, and the Jets were seated properly. It's running rich right when the transition goes from the pilot jet to the main jet approaching 1/4 throttle. It will bog down and smoke a lot right around a quarter throttle, but if I open it up she takes off again and feels great on the top.
Thinking about raising the needle clip a notch, or maybe it just needs the air jet leaner still. Out is leaner on Keihen carbs, right?
As for red garter, dunno. Thursdays are not my days.
Maybe I can get my lady to come out and play on the DR350. Heck of a double date! (note: this will never happen, she won't do anything but passenge)

Replace the needle and needle jet.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:29 PM   #14856
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

That's not a bad idea.. If it's wearing down the surfaces, that would make sense. Needle didn't look out of the ordinary when I had it out, but I like the idea. Anyone know a good local place for carb parts, or should I order online and wait another week or two?

Old 02-10-2014, 06:06 AM   #14857
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,512
Quote:
That's not a bad idea.. If it's wearing down the surfaces, that would make sense. Needle didn't look out of the ordinary when I had it out, but I like the idea. Anyone know a good local place for carb parts, or should I order online and wait another week or two?

Surely you jest, there isn't a shop within 100 miles that carries needles...your lucky to find one that carries main jets and a couple pilots. Sudco is by far the most comprehensive online carburetor source. If I were you, I would go on Thumper Talk and look up what setup people are running for your bike or a bike very similar.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:18 AM   #14858
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierTrailmaster View Post
Surely you jest, there isn't a shop within 100 miles that carries needles...your lucky to find one that carries main jets and a couple pilots. Sudco is by far the most comprehensive online carburetor source. If I were you, I would go on Thumper Talk and look up what setup people are running for your bike or a bike very similar.
It was an honest question - I honestly wouldn't know. Thanks HTM, I'll give those a try.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:32 AM   #14859
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

For posterity, in case someone finds this thread looking for similar answers, here's the direction I'm going:
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/639...arb-questions/

Old 02-10-2014, 02:08 PM   #14860
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,034
In my experience your best bet to finding jets in town is at start cycle, he has a few boxes of random jets. If he doesn't have them, head over to honda and order them OEM. they can get OEM parts for any manufacturer, and don't charge for shipping, which is often the killer for small parts like jets.

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things? Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:54 PM   #14861
DesertDuster
Old Pueblo Rider

Oddometer: 191
Arivaca Outback photos

Here are some photos from the Arivaca Outback rides this last weekend.

https://plus.google.com/photos/101755036509509668437/albums/5978622231461426785?authkey=CLDf5-nO1sGMpgE

Old 02-10-2014, 07:01 PM   #14862
DesertDuster
Old Pueblo Rider

Oddometer: 191
gps

What GPS navigational devices are good choices for off roading?
Old 02-10-2014, 07:54 PM   #14863
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDuster View Post
What GPS navigational devices are good choices for off roading?

Garmin 60CSx or Garmin Oregon 450.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:32 PM   #14864
SOLOKLR
almost retired

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDuster View Post
Here are some photos from the Arivaca Outback rides this last weekend.

https://plus.google.com/photos/101755036509509668437/albums/5978622231461426785?authkey=CLDf5-nO1sGMpgE

Nice turn out. Looks like you guys had a good time
Steverauklr@gmail.com
SOLOKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:17 AM   #14865
mntdawg
NOT FRAGILE OR GREEN

Oddometer: 935
Thanks for the pics Ron, I've been in CO for Ten days missing the desert.

This is a sweet shot of the SE Arete of Babo.

Heading south today!