ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2014, 08:08 PM   #14926
dedave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
???????

dedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:42 AM   #14927
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
Caterpillar webs?

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:13 AM   #14928
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Oddometer: 249
Hah. I just saw these at the zoo. They look unreal, but there is a bird that builds hanging nests like that. I thought it was a man made prop when I saw one.

"...Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing - end them."
The spear has been shaken!!
Friedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:59 AM   #14929
acruhl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Really sorry about the photo sizes and lack of quality. I was using html tags to resize them to a reasonable size, didn't realize the replies would remove them. Panoramio seems to not have sizing options, at least not something I could find quickly.

I was up there on Saturday. I have a regular job unfortunately. I saw about 5 various types of trucks at Chimney Rock, but no people and no obvious signs of ATV or motorcycle activity around them. It was weird. Made me not want to stick around.

After the first big semi gnarly descent, I thought to myself "well, I'm not going back up that way". Then after the second even more gnarly descent (very little brake use, just pucker and hope you chose the right line), I thought I was in a bit of trouble.

There was one hill on the way out that was washed out with rocks down the middle. My tires wouldn't stick to the sides, so I had to go over the rocks paddling. Not that entertaining really. I went over multiple hills and obstacles that would be difficult to walk up (especially with my no traction boots).

My bike isn't something you can just buzz up stuff with and wheelie over tough parts. Maybe I need one of those.
acruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:14 AM   #14930
Curiousteve
Curiousteve

Oddometer: 50
Bud Rhode (Rhodester) in a new video

Here's another video, this one starring Rhodester: Sorry about the crappy audio... for one thing the background music is too loud making it difficult to hear Bud at times. I'm leaving on a a trip to the Texas hill country today with BigDog, but when I get back I'll try to improve the audio.

http://youtu.be/NUJCJU30V5M
Curiousteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:47 AM   #14931
dedave
Gnarly Adventurer

I like when he talks about the "Jumping Cactus". My GF found out the hard way LOL. Never thought to use a comb to pull em, good advice.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:49 AM   #14932
dedave
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedom View Post
Hah. I just saw these at the zoo. They look unreal, but there is a bird that builds hanging nests like that. I thought it was a man made prop when I saw one.

"...Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing - end them."
The silhouette makes it look like a big cat.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:04 AM   #14933
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedave View Post
The silhouette makes it look like a big cat.
I like your answer better. :popcorn

Old 02-19-2014, 08:39 AM   #14934
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by acruhl View Post
Really sorry about the photo sizes and lack of quality. I was using html tags to resize them to a reasonable size, didn't realize the replies would remove them. Panoramio seems to not have sizing options, at least not something I could find quickly.

I was up there on Saturday. I have a regular job unfortunately. I saw about 5 various types of trucks at Chimney Rock, but no people and no obvious signs of ATV or motorcycle activity around them. It was weird. Made me not want to stick around.

After the first big semi gnarly descent, I thought to myself "well, I'm not going back up that way". Then after the second even more gnarly descent (very little brake use, just pucker and hope you chose the right line), I thought I was in a bit of trouble.

There was one hill on the way out that was washed out with rocks down the middle. My tires wouldn't stick to the sides, so I had to go over the rocks paddling. Not that entertaining really. I went over multiple hills and obstacles that would be difficult to walk up (especially with my no traction boots).

My bike isn't something you can just buzz up stuff with and wheelie over tough parts. Maybe I need one of those.
We need to take you to "Hello Kitty" hill. By the way, that little DR 350 could go up ANYTHING you could throw at it. Unless that bag in the back is loaded with lead.
HoosierTrailmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #14935
acruhl
Adventurer

Yeah, I agree it's a capable bike, but not in it's current state. I do love it so far.

I bought it a few months ago and I've done some stuff to it, but not the suspension. The rear bottoms out over anything, and there's no damping left because I found it with the compression set to full when I bought it. The front is not bad but it needs heavier springs and oil as well I'm sure.

So I can't attack something bumpy, it will just bottom out and toss me into oblivion. I have to take it slow and paddle. Which is easier said than done on a hill that would be difficult to walk up...

What is Hello Kitty?
Old 02-19-2014, 12:12 PM   #14936
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acruhl View Post
Yeah, I agree it's a capable bike, but not in it's current state. I do love it so far.

I bought it a few months ago and I've done some stuff to it, but not the suspension. The rear bottoms out over anything, and there's no damping left because I found it with the compression set to full when I bought it. The front is not bad but it needs heavier springs and oil as well I'm sure.

So I can't attack something bumpy, it will just bottom out and toss me into oblivion. I have to take it slow and paddle. Which is easier said than done on a hill that would be difficult to walk up...

What is Hello Kitty?
What year is it? I've got a rear shock from a '93 that came with the engine i bought. Of course, the shock in my bike dampens about as well as a cantering horse. Haven't tried airing it up yet, though. Anyways, i might have an extra.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:18 PM   #14937
acruhl
Adventurer

It's a '99. I think the shock is rebuildable, if so I'll just get that done but thanks. Both ends are fully adjustable, which is nice. I think only the '98 and '99 street legal ones were like that.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:14 PM   #14938
dedave
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedom View Post
I like your answer better. :popcorn
I think he got a picture of a mountain lion. The picture is awesome on its own, of the bike, the pool, the framing, everything, but that lion photobombed ya, LOL. The back paws are on the rock the tail going back, head looking back, perfect camo. This picture fascinates me. I want to go there too, now.

These cats do stalk humans, many accounts of it. One guy here in Tucson, talked about it not more than a month ago, on the news.

Another article here http://www.trapperpredatorcaller.com...man-in-arizona

Old 02-19-2014, 03:19 PM   #14939
dedave
Gnarly Adventurer

I think we found out what all the abandoned trucks were about
Old 02-19-2014, 06:26 PM   #14940
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,382