ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2014, 06:38 PM   #14941
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Oddometer: 241
Do you have a higher res picture?

"...Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing - end them."
The spear has been shaken!!
Friedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:39 PM   #14942
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Frankly i find the yellow hula hoop hanging in the tree to be a little disconcerting in itself!

"...Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing - end them."
Old 02-19-2014, 07:23 PM   #14943
acruhl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I don't have a higher resolution photo. That was done with a crap Samsung pay as you go phone.

It's true that predators hang out at watering holes, but I'm pretty sure that isn't a mountain lion. It looked like a hornet's nest to me as well.
acruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #14944
dedave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Hula hoop, have you never been to Siegfried and Roy? The cat was practicing for the flaming hoop trick.

I don't know if I would be tickled to death I got the shot or freaking out because I got that shot. When the bighorns are all gone, people taste good too.

When I get my bike back together I want to go up there.
dedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:17 PM   #14945
dedave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by acruhl View Post
I don't have a higher resolution photo. That was done with a crap Samsung pay as you go phone.

It's true that predators hang out at watering holes, but I'm pretty sure that isn't a mountain lion. It looked like a hornet's nest to me as well.
Are we going to drive back up and take a second pic from the same angle? I'm not that good of a rider, and on a 400+lb bike, but I would give it a try. I'm more afraid of the hornets than the M.lion.

When I zoom in, I see two distinct rear knees, and that is verified with sun angle and shading. I can also make out what appears to be the right ear, with a darker inside, the eye, and the left ear which is lighter, but all in the correct proportions. and of course the tail. Looks like a younger skinny cat. The rear paws are on the rock, but the shading hides them. Same with front paws, the branches hide them.

The big cat picture shows the same ear and eye shading as your pic.

The more I look, the more the details indicate it to be a cat, and a pretty good sized one. I posted the other pictures. The first smaller picture shows how a cat blends, took me awhile to make it out. The second pic, is close to how the kitty in the bushes is standing. The colors match. The sun is from the back, and no light shines through the in the outline of the cat in your photo, except between the rear knees. Them little details are what make me believe it to be a cat, one not too afraid of people.

And as you say, at a good hunting ground, or getting a cool drink of water.

I love the picture. If it were a UFO, I would be more skeptical LOL.

dedave screwed with this post 02-19-2014 at 08:23 PM
dedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:54 PM   #14946
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,263
I'm pretty sure I can see the face of Jesus just left of center in that photo, but if you can send me a hit of whatever you got there I'll see if I can find the cat.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:01 PM   #14947
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Lol.

I see what looks like one rear bulky knee...but the light reflecting off of it suggests to me that it's a rock formation. Haven't found the tale yet. I'm kind of going with hornets nest too. Of course it's cooler if it's a cat. :/

Friedom screwed with this post 02-19-2014 at 09:11 PM
Old 02-19-2014, 09:24 PM   #14948
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Quote:
It's a '99. I think the shock is rebuildable, if so I'll just get that done but thanks. Both ends are fully adjustable, which is nice. I think only the '98 and '99 street legal ones were like that.
Wouldn't be a good fit anyways then. The early ones were rebuildable, so I don't see why yours wouldn't be.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:37 PM   #14949
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Gmoney* View Post
Since female side was not secure, I pushed it forward through the connecter, cleaned both terminals tightened female (pinch for no wiggle) and install first, then pushed connecter on.

Sounds good pm me or call
I will be rolling out the 42 year old Yam enduro,
with the ridem, don't, hidem mind set.
I won't be able to keep up with you, but we can be there in case
either one of our test rides malfunctions.
I may take you up on that. Those dirt roads beg to be explored back there. Right now the forks are getting redone. I think the issue with the right one was that someone filled it with graphite powder. Old seal out via ~60psi(dust cover is pretty torn too), cleaned out well, new seal in (hard to get it to seat all the way down, using old seal as driver)
Went to change left seal while I was at it. Looks like she took a rock nap which scraped off any useful shape of the oil drain screw. Hacksaw time = flathead is the new Phillips. Hopefully tomorrow that'll be all buttoned back up.
Oh yeah, right fork doesn't seem to be bent, but the lower clamp bolts are.
I've heard of KLR days. I really just want something that's light, works reasonably well and gets me back home. Hopefully this works out to be it.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:40 AM   #14950
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,729
Quote:
Yeah, I agree it's a capable bike, but not in it's current state. I do love it so far.

I bought it a few months ago and I've done some stuff to it, but not the suspension. The rear bottoms out over anything, and there's no damping left because I found it with the compression set to full when I bought it. The front is not bad but it needs heavier springs and oil as well I'm sure.

So I can't attack something bumpy, it will just bottom out and toss me into oblivion. I have to take it slow and paddle. Which is easier said than done on a hill that would be difficult to walk up...

What is Hello Kitty?
I had the suspension done on my DRZ by ZR1, and it was worth every penny. When you're ready to get yours done I highly recommend them. Very reasonable and my DRZ handles like a new bike now.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:42 AM   #14951
acruhl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Yeah, I know that guy a little bit from the Tucson ATC days. I used to work there when I was about 13 years old on weekends.
acruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:57 AM   #14952
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,375
I know my mother said don't say anything unless you have something good to say, BUT, I have taken multiple forks and shocks to Donny (ZR1), if you want it quick, he is the guy. If you want it done well...not so much. About a 1/3 of the time they ended up leaking after a couple weeks. He always rebuilds them no charge, but it is a PITA to take it all off the bike again. I also had an occasion where he looked like he used a screw driver to pry out the old seals, tearing the hell out of the seating area. I never know what his price will be for the same work. Sometimes it is $120 for seals and oil, sometimes it is $180 (and I brought the seals on this job)and once it was $225 for exactly the same job. I wish there was another suspension expert in Tucson, I heard that Stillwell up in Phoenix is really good.
HoosierTrailmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:27 AM   #14953
BIG-E
AKA; Mongo-E

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierTrailmaster View Post
I know my mother said don't say anything unless you have something good to say, BUT, I have taken multiple forks and shocks to Donny (ZR1), if you want it quick, he is the guy. If you want it done well...not so much. About a 1/3 of the time they ended up leaking after a couple weeks. He always rebuilds them no charge, but it is a PITA to take it all off the bike again. I also had an occasion where he looked like he used a screw driver to pry out the old seals, tearing the hell out of the seating area. I never know what his price will be for the same work. Sometimes it is $120 for seals and oil, sometimes it is $180 (and I brought the seals on this job)and once it was $225 for exactly the same job. I wish there was another suspension expert in Tucson, I heard that Stillwell up in Phoenix is really good.
Stillwell is not good, he is GREAT!! he did an awesome job on my 690. And you might just meet Cody Webb.. or at least check out the Beta factory bikes.

Allen is a way cool guy.

"If my Technique Improves, so will my riding"!
BIG-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:29 AM   #14954
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG-E View Post
Stillwell is not good, he is GREAT!! he did an awesome job on my 690. And you might just meet Cody Webb.. or at least check out the Beta factory bikes.

Allen is a way cool guy.

Why aren't you riding with us Sunday?
HoosierTrailmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:39 AM   #14955
BIG-E
AKA; Mongo-E

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierTrailmaster View Post
Why aren't you riding with us Sunday?
I have to have a little "procedure" done on Monday and I will be riding the turlet all day Sunday.... I am looking forward to it though....

"If my Technique Improves, so will my riding"!
BIG-E is offline   Reply With Quote