Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2014, 11:58 AM   #1111
ZLAHiVizBrian
So Viz-able!

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by 625SXC View Post
Just wanted to share the customer service experience I had with Revzilla. After taking advantage of their many videos about products I thought I would give them a chance with a purchase of a couple helmets for my wife and I. One of them I ordered too big and not only did they ship them fast, they emailed me a return label and had the new helmet to my door in 2 days. Every time I called I was greeted by a guy who spoke english and was never put on hold. The best phone order experience I ever had. When I'm not able to shop local.... Revzilla will get my money
Hey 625SXC,

Thanks, man! We appreciate you sharing your experience. Don't hesitate to give us a call if you have a question....and it doesn't need to be gear related. If you need a quick opinion about anything moto, give us a ring. We have years of riding experience under our roof and can blabber about motorcycle until the sun goes down.

Thanks again, 625SXC!

You and your wife ride safely,

-Hi-Viz Brian

P.S. - If you have a picture of your 625SXC in action, we'd love to see a picture or two.

RevZilla Gear Discussion / Q&A | RevZilla Career Opportunities

Helping riders with gear and little old ladies cross the street | RevZilla.com
ZLAHiVizBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:10 PM   #1112
ZLAHiVizBrian
So Viz-able!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
Hey Brian, I'm considering a pair of Sidi boots and can't decide between the On Road or Canyon. I fear the On Road boots are a little tall at 14 inches (?). What is the height of the Canyons?
Which would you feel would be best for ADV touring (some gravel and fire trail but mostly backroad touring)?
Thanks
Hey MotoBoss,

If you can look past my skinny white legs, see the pictures below. I had the SIDI Canyon Gore‑Tex Boot on my right foot and the SIDI On Road Gore-Tex Boot on my left foot.

I couldn't find any differences between the two in comfort or support aside from the extra height of the On Road Boots. I typically wear size 10.5(US) boots / shoes. I was most comfortable in size 10(US) / 44(Euro) On Roads and Canyons. They had stiff toe boxes. However, the top grain leather on the sides of the boots was forgiving. My wide feet were surprisingly comfortable. For riders with skinnier calves, the On Roads felt tighter around my leg, but not by a huge margin.

For light off-roading and fire trails with the majority of riding on backroads, I'd prefer the Canyon Gore‑Tex Boots. The three features that stuck out to me were their strap system as opposed to the 100% Velcro adjustments on the On Roads, their lower height, and their "contrasting texture upper" or in layman's terms, the suede-like material.

The suede-like material on the insides of the legs and shift pads has a grippy texture for better footing on the pegs and shifting. The On Road's top grain leather is surprisingly slippery.

The height of the On Roads didn't bother me, but I just wouldn't need the extra height. The Gore-Tex membrane extends higher in the On Roads by approximately 1 inch. However, if you need that extra inch of waterproofing, you probably have more important things to worry about than wet feet, .

My biggest wish was that the On Roads had a strap system below the ankles. When tightly cinched, I had an excessive amount of "tab flab" (I just made that up ). I worry that the Velcro adjustment tabs would get caught on something on or off the bike and loosen. The Velcro is durable, but locking straps would give me piece of mind.

On Roads (left) Canyons (right)

Tab Flab

On Roads (left) Canyons (right)

Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Please let me know if there was anything I missed.

Thank you for your questions. I hope you had a great Independence Day!

Ride safely,

-Hi-Viz Brian

Old 07-08-2014, 01:35 PM   #1113
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 941
Nice review of the Canyons and the On Roads!

Now, would you still choose the Canyon over the Alpinestars Scout boots for light off-roading duties where waterproofness and comfort off the bike are also important?

That's the two models I'm having a hard time deciding from...
Old 07-08-2014, 01:50 PM   #1114
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,399
Thanks Brian, you photos and descriptions helped me make up my mind......on the Canyons! I have skinny legs and calves and was worried they may be a bit big (not snug). I wear a size 11 US and my Alpinestars Web Gore-Tex boots are a size 46 Euro and fit ok but I had to go with this size in order to get the extra width I needed. You think this should this be the size I order? Or should I downsize one? (Trying to get it right the first time ) Hope your Holiday weekend was a good one too!

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss screwed with this post 07-08-2014 at 01:57 PM
MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:36 PM   #1115
ZLAHiVizBrian
So Viz-able!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastery View Post
Nice review of the Canyons and the On Roads!

Now, would you still choose the Canyon over the Alpinestars Scout boots for light off-roading duties where waterproofness and comfort off the bike are also important?

That's the two models I'm having a hard time deciding from...
The Alpinestars Scout WP Boots are like the Heidenau K60s of adventure boots. They're designed to be manageable on-road, but have off-road roots. They're built on a dirt bike / motocross boot foundation.

The Scouts are approximately two inches taller than the Sidi Canyons and flare at the top for knee braces and off-road style pants. They're not ideal if you wear your pant legs over your boots, especially with their three buckles. The buckles have the potential to catch on inner liners or bunch up as opposed to the Canyons, which are smooth and consistent down to the ankles. If you fill the tops of the Scouts with knee braces or pant legs, you can get a snug fit around your legs after adjusting the buckles. Of course, if you have large calves, you may not need to fill the tops of the boots for a snug fit. I was blessed with my father genes and have average to "slightly" small calves . If I don't tuck pants into the Scouts, they become a little sloppy above my ankles.

The Scouts run slightly wider in the toe box and have that bulky motocross boot profile. The Sidi Canyons are more comfortable to walk in because they don't have as much heel toe clunk (the feeling you get when walking in stiff boots). The Scouts aren't as stiff and clunky as my Alpinestars Tech 8s. They're similar to my TCX X-Deserts from a rigidity standpoint, but a little more entry level from a build quality standpoint, which I completely expect comparing their prices. The Sidi Canyons are on the same quality level as the X-Deserts or Sidi Adventures, but more on-road focused.

For light off-roading and fire trails, I think the Canyons are your best option between the two. If you said you focused around 40 to 50+ percent of your time in dirt, mud, and creek crossings, then I'd probably start leaning towards the Scouts or other "more beefy" (technical term) off-road biased adventure boots.

I hope this helped. As always, please let me know if I missed anything or can help with any other questions.

Ride safely and have fun out there!

-Hi-Viz Brian

Old 07-08-2014, 04:50 PM   #1116
ZLAHiVizBrian
So Viz-able!

Quote:
Thanks Brian, you photos and descriptions helped me make up my mind......on the Canyons! I have skinny legs and calves and was worried they may be a bit big (not snug). I wear a size 11 US and my Alpinestars Web Gore-Tex boots are a size 46 Euro and fit ok but I had to go with this size in order to get the extra width I needed. You think this should this be the size I order? Or should I downsize one? (Trying to get it right the first time ) Hope your Holiday weekend was a good one too!
I am going to grab a pair first thing in the morning to double check. Size for size, I'd say Alpinestars is usually wider than Sidi. Therefore, I'm concerned a 45 Sidi Canyon (11US) will be to narrow for you and a 46 will be to long. I'll check first thing tomorrow and report back.

My weekend was great, thanks!

Talk to you tomorrow.

-HVB

Old 07-08-2014, 06:05 PM   #1117
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLAHiVizBrian View Post
. I'll check first thing tomorrow and report back.

Talk to you tomorrow.

-HVB
Thanks

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

Old 07-09-2014, 07:14 AM   #1118
ZLAHiVizBrian
So Viz-able!

Quote:
Hey MotoBoss,

Thanks for your patience. Size for size, the Sidi Canyon Gore-Tex boots are narrower than the Alpinestars Web Gore-Tex boots, according to my feet. The Canyons were not much narrower but, I noticed a small amount of pressure on the sides on my feet in the Canyons. The Web Gore-Tex boots were comfortable right off the bat. The Canyons also point at the tips of the toes compared to the rounded toes of the Web Gore-Tex boots. Based on how the size 46 Alpinestars Web Gore-Tex boots fit you, I recommend going with 46 Sidi Canyons as well.

How have your Web Gore-Tex boots broken in? Do you wish you dealt with the snug fit of the 45s until they broke in or were the 46s the right move even after some wear?

Thanks,

-HVB

Old 07-09-2014, 08:59 AM   #1119
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 941
Quote:
For light off-roading and fire trails, I think the Canyons are your best option between the two. If you said you focused around 40 to 50+ percent of your time in dirt, mud, and creek crossings, then I'd probably start leaning towards the Scouts or other "more beefy" (technical term) off-road biased adventure boots.
Thanks Brian, great review and advice. I'll get the Canyons. I alternate between a size 10 and 10.5 in both boots and sneakers, depending on who makes them. Canyon size chart shows 10 and 11. Should I kick up to the 11, or do they run a little big and I should stick with the 10? Thanks!
Old 07-09-2014, 01:41 PM   #1120
ZLAHiVizBrian
So Viz-able!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastery View Post
Thanks Brian, great review and advice. I'll get the Canyons. I alternate between a size 10 and 10.5 in both boots and sneakers, depending on who makes them. Canyon size chart shows 10 and 11. Should I kick up to the 11, or do they run a little big and I should stick with the 10? Thanks!
I'd go with the 10s. Put them on and walk around for an hour or two inside your home to see if they're comfortable before riding in them. If they don't fit / aren't comfortable, shoot me a PM.

I'm glad my review was helpful. I appreciate the positive feedback !

-Hi-Viz Brian

Old 07-10-2014, 04:52 AM   #1121
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Quote:
Hey MotoBoss,

How have your Web Gore-Tex boots broken in? Do you wish you dealt with the snug fit of the 45s until they broke in or were the 46s the right move even after some wear?

Thanks,

-HVB
Hey Brian, thanks for getting back to me.

The A* 46 (11.5) size fit well right out of the box but over the last few years they have spread out a bit becoming a little wider. I also have a size 46 (11) Sidi track boots that fit great right out of the box and still fit well after several years of use. Recently I bought another pair of A* that are 46 also and fit great, but they will probably flatten out over time too. The Web Gore-Tex boots are great but just not heavy enough protection for any off pavement use.
I also have a Gaerne Balance Oiled in size 46 (11) and they fit great but are too "off roadie" for everyday wear. The funny thing about the Gaerne boots is the lack of ankle protection. They have no ankle "puck" on the inside and the lower buckle mount is the only protection on the outside, but it is even too low for complete coverage. These problems are well noted on many a review of these boots.

Not really sure if I wanted to start with a 45 and wait for them to loosen up as it takes quite a while to get them broke in. I do have a wide foot which has always been my problem in boots; too narrow and it either takes too long to wear in or too painful to wear regularly. I find that narrow sizing is usually found in most Euro made boots and a 46 has, more often than not, been the size that fits me the best.

In the end I'd rather a bigger size boot to make up for the width rather than a shorter, more narrow fit, that takes a long time to break in properly, or may never brake in comfortably at all. What is puzzling is my Sidi size 46 boots say 46 Euro/11US on them but now, on the RevZilla size chart, they are now listed as 46 Euro/11-11.5US. I am positive I can not wear a 45/10.5 boot comfortably.

Ok, some might say I have enough boots to cover any riding I may do, which is true. But, I'm looking for a boot that wears well for touring, light off road riding, excellent protection and that fits in with blue jeans when off the bike. That is what I'm hoping the Sidi Canyon boots will do. My decision is which size to order to ensure will they fit comfortably for years to come.

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss screwed with this post 07-10-2014 at 05:07 AM
Old 07-10-2014, 10:23 AM   #1122
ZLAHiVizBrian
So Viz-able!

Quote:
Hey Brian, thanks for getting back to me.

The A* 46 (11.5) size fit well right out of the box but over the last few years they have spread out a bit becoming a little wider. I also have a size 46 (11) Sidi track boots that fit great right out of the box and still fit well after several years of use. Recently I bought another pair of A* that are 46 also and fit great, but they will probably flatten out over time too. The Web Gore-Tex boots are great but just not heavy enough protection for any off pavement use.
I also have a Gaerne Balance Oiled in size 46 (11) and they fit great but are too "off roadie" for everyday wear. The funny thing about the Gaerne boots is the lack of ankle protection. They have no ankle "puck" on the inside and the lower buckle mount is the only protection on the outside, but it is even too low for complete coverage. These problems are well noted on many a review of these boots.

Not really sure if I wanted to start with a 45 and wait for them to loosen up as it takes quite a while to get them broke in. I do have a wide foot which has always been my problem in boots; too narrow and it either takes too long to wear in or too painful to wear regularly. I find that narrow sizing is usually found in most Euro made boots and a 46 has, more often than not, been the size that fits me the best.

In the end I'd rather a bigger size boot to make up for the width rather than a shorter, more narrow fit, that takes a long time to break in properly, or may never brake in comfortably at all. What is puzzling is my Sidi size 46 boots say 46 Euro/11US on them but now, on the RevZilla size chart, they are now listed as 46 Euro/11-11.5US. I am positive I can not wear a 45/10.5 boot comfortably.

Ok, some might say I have enough boots to cover any riding I may do, which is true. But, I'm looking for a boot that wears well for touring, light off road riding, excellent protection and that fits in with blue jeans when off the bike. That is what I'm hoping the Sidi Canyon boots will do. My decision is which size to order to ensure will they fit comfortably for years to come.
Based on everything you've said, I completely agree with your decision to go with the 46s.

The Sidi Canyons fall right in-between your Gaerne Balance Oiled and Alpinestars Web Gore-Tex boots. They're a step up in their off-road capabilities compared to the Web GTX and a step down compared to the Balanced Oiled.

Man, I love the Balanced Oiled boots. I swear, if Clarks made off-road / adventure boots, they would turn out to be the Balanced Oiled boots. They're like Wallabees for ADVing.

The size chart on our website was provided to us by Sidi. It is a bit indecisive but, converting from Euro to US can be tricky at times. I usually take the larger of the two numbers. So, 44=10, 45=11, 46=11.5ish and so forth.

If you end up going with the Canyons, let me know how you like them. If they need to come back, shoot me a PM.

Cheers,

-HVB

Old 07-10-2014, 02:30 PM   #1123
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Quote:
Based on everything you've said, I completely agree with your decision to go with the 46s.

If you end up going with the Canyons, let me know how you like them. If they need to come back, shoot me a PM.

Cheers,

-HVB
Thanks, I'll keep you updated.

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

Old 07-10-2014, 03:45 PM   #1124
MtnRider2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Thanks Brian.....they seem to fit fairly well. I need to see if the will work with my low boots but appreciate the insight and assistance.

Sam
Quote:
Hey MtnRider2,

I recommend the Leatt Dual Axis Knee Guards (size 2XL of course ). They should do the trick for your 19" tree stumps . If they don't for some reason, send me a PM.

A few highlights:
  • Their pivot system is smooth and consistent, not clunky.
  • They have sleeves that wrap around your legs at the adjustment points. Then, the Velcro tightens against the sleeves, not your legs.
  • Their inner padding is dense / has integrity. You don't feel the hard plastic against your legs.
  • 2XL
I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Have a great 4th of July !

-Hi-Viz Brian
MtnRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:14 AM   #1125
ZLAHiVizBrian
So Viz-able!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnRider2 View Post
Thanks Brian.....they seem to fit fairly well. I need to see if the will work with my low boots but appreciate the insight and assistance.

Sam
That's great! Keep me posted.

Enjoy your weekend!

-Hi-Viz Brian