Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2014, 12:35 PM   #1216
ZLAHiVizBrian
So Viz-able!

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastery View Post
Brian: Any idea what the purpose of the 4 small red dots on the ratchet strap of the Sidi Canyon boots are for? Style or some purpose? Didn't notice them in the review or info on the product page, and they kind of are out of place with the color of the rest of the boots.

By the way, I took your size recommendation on the boots. The 10's fit very well, no need to exchange for a different size. Seems to run true to size.
I'm glad they're working out for you. The red dots are stylish reflective bits. This is how they look at night when hit with light.....

-HVB

/r/RevZilla Subreddit | RevZilla Career Opportunities

Helping riders with gear and little old ladies cross the street | RevZilla.com
ZLAHiVizBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:46 PM   #1217
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 1,075
Thanks Brian. I'm good with them, nice touch I guess. Appreciate the answer and photos!

Free Cash Back for Online Purchases.....One More CashBack Site
Mastery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:13 PM   #1218
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLAHiVizBrian View Post
Hey avc8130,

Thank you for your patience! I took a few pictures of each bag sitting on our F800GS in order to give you a better representation of their profiles.

The AltRider Hemisphere saddlebags and tank bag are the winners, IMO.

AltRider Hemisphere Tank Bag -- (Pictures) vs Giant Loop Fandango Tank Bag -- (Pictures)

Both bags have similar mounting pads and overall profiles. The Fandango and Hemisphere tank bags have heavy-duty zippers that connect the bags to their mounting pads. The Hemisphere has a U-shaped connection zipper, while the Fandango has two zippers on each side (left and right) that run parallel to the bike. Theoretically, the Hemisphere has a stronger connection, but they're small tanks bag that aren't carrying much weight. The beefy connection zippers on the Fandango are completely fine for what they do. The Hemisphere tank bag comes with an extra 3 liters of storage and a waterproof main compartment liner. The vinyl coated polyester shell of the Fandango does resist water, but its zippers leak over time in heavy rain. A rain cover is recommended with the Fandango. I am a fan of the Hemisphere's top / lid. It's easily closed and secured with a firm nap. Both bags have the same MSRP although the Fandango is $9.97 (5%) cheaper at the moment.

AltRider Hemisphere Saddlebags -- (Pictures) vs Giant Loop Coyote Saddlebag With Dry Pods -- (Pictures)

The way I see it, with the Hemisphere saddlebags, you're getting the Giant Loop Coyote saddlebags without the Dry Pods. You're also getting a waterproof main compartment and 6 liters of additional storage. The Dry Pods are nice waterproof organizers, but I'm a "keep it simple stupid" kinda guy. The Dry Pods are one more thing to think about / pack and unpack. I can see myself getting irritated trying to remember which Dry Pod I put my keys or wallet in, opening and closing each compartment until I've lost my mind . The Hemisphere's side pouches add a ton of utility to a weekend or week-long camping trip. I would never try carrying firewood with the Coyote. That's a potential puncture waiting to happen. Filled to the brim or empty, both bags pack nicely. The Hemisphere is $20 more than the Coyote at MSRP. Since the Coyote is 5% off, the Hemisphere is now $38 more. Based on your organizational habits, you might be better off with the Coyote bag. What do you see yourself using more, the Hemisphere's side pouches or the Coyote's Dry Pods?

I hope this help! Let me know if there is anything else I can add.

Cheers,

-HVB
Wow! Thanks!

Quick questions:
Can the dry bag portion of the tank bag be folded out of the way when it isn't necessary? The ability to really water-proof up when necessary would be great.

I think I'd still wind up using a few bags inside the hemisphere tail bag to organize. I do think the remaining pouches could have some good uses, but the ability to stick some fuel bottles or tool rolls under the drybag looks very beneficial.

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:58 AM   #1219
ZLAHiVizBrian
So Viz-able!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
Quick questions:
Can the dry bag portion of the tank bag be folded out of the way when it isn't necessary? The ability to really water-proof up when necessary would be great.
It is not removable. The Hemisphere's dry bag is sewn into the bottom on the tank bag (around the edges).

-HVB

Old 08-28-2014, 10:25 PM   #1220
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,364
Women's Rev'It jacket question.
My wife has size 34 Tornado. It's pretty snug without the liner. It's fine in the length dept. but tight in the chest. Looking at getting an Ignition jacket for her. Would going to a size 36 be the way to go? Would mostly be wearing it without any liners or just he windproof liner.
Thanks
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:09 AM   #1221
ZLAHiVizBrian
So Viz-able!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Women's Rev'It jacket question.
My wife has size 34 Tornado. It's pretty snug without the liner. It's fine in the length dept. but tight in the chest. Looking at getting an Ignition jacket for her. Would going to a size 36 be the way to go? Would mostly be wearing it without any liners or just he windproof liner.
Thanks
swimmer,

Stick with a 34. Joe Anne aka GearChic, one of our Gear Geeks, rides in the Women's Ignition 2 jacket and Women's Gear 2 pants. She has her own blog about the Ignition 2 jacket and Gear 2 pants. It's worth reading.

"They actually made some really great fit changes which will definitely fit a larger group of women riders. And that’s a good thing, to expand the size offerings to more body shapes and sizes. Unfortunately it does change the options for someone with a really slender figure all the way around (narrow torso, long arms, narrow waist). The new fit shape doesn’t fit that woman as well anymore, unfortunately. It’s still long, but has more room all the way around the waist. It’s been given a true hourglass shape, flaring out at the hips and waist to accommodate a curvier body shape. The arms are also wider, especially at the elbows."

If your wife ever wants to speak with Joe Anne or another lady Gear Geek, let me know. Joe Anne is happy to give her a call.

-HVB

Old 08-29-2014, 11:16 AM   #1222
dogfm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
question re pants

I'm in the UK but think Rev'it! range is similar to that of the USA I m after a bit of advice. I have just purchased (online) a large silver/black Everest Gtx jacket, I need some pants to go with the jacket, preferably in similar colours. I don't want a separate waterproof liner but do want tohave a removable thermal layer ( I ride year round)~ jeans i take waist 32 inside leg 31" so a medium I think?
If I could afford it I d have gone Poseidon but unfortunately too £££, no Everest pants my size available in UK/Germany. Any suggestions ?
PS I ride a Vfr1200f so sports tourer type riding position rather than adventure ��

dogfm screwed with this post 08-29-2014 at 12:03 PM
dogfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:28 PM   #1223
ZLAHiVizBrian
So Viz-able!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfm View Post
I'm in the UK but think Rev'it! range is similar to that of the USA I m after a bit of advice. I have just purchased (online) a large silver/black Everest Gtx jacket, I need some pants to go with the jacket, preferably in similar colours. I don't want a separate waterproof liner but do want tohave a removable thermal layer ( I ride year round)~ jeans i take waist 32 inside leg 31" so a medium I think?
If I could afford it I d have gone Poseidon but unfortunately too £££, no Everest pants my size available in UK/Germany. Any suggestions ?
PS I ride a Vfr1200f so sports tourer type riding position rather than adventure ��
Hi dogfm,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Congrats on your new jacket!

I just found these REV'IT! Everest GTX pants on eBay. They are Black Mediums. If they won't ship to you directly, you could use MyUS.com as a reshipper. The pictures look horrible, but the description says, "Pants are black (the pictures look faded but the pants are not faded) and has the knee armor (sas-tec)." I'd definitely ask for better pictures. The seller has a 100% satisfaction rating out of 87 transactions, which makes me inclined to trust his description.

If you don't want used gear, I have a few questions for you.
  • Do you want Gore-Tex Pro Shell or will other laminated waterproof membranes work?
  • When you spoke about the Poseidon's price being too expensive, were you referring to the jacket or the jacket and pants? The REV'IT! Poseidon GTX pants are currently one of the best options to pair with your Everest jacket.
  • What is your price range for pants?
  • Are you set on REV'IT! or are other brands in play?
  • Are you set on having a removable thermal liner or would you be willing to try base and mid layers?
I look forward to hearing from you!

Ride safely,

-Hi-Viz Brian

P.S. - You have a very nice bike!

Old 08-29-2014, 07:51 PM   #1224
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,364
Thanks. So the Ignition 2 is a bit more roomy than the original Ignition?
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:48 AM   #1225
dogfm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Hi Viz Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLAHiVizBrian View Post
Hi dogfm,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Congrats on your new jacket!

I just found these REV'IT! Everest GTX pants on eBay. They are Black Mediums. If they won't ship to you directly, you could use MyUS.com as a reshipper. The pictures look horrible, but the description says, "Pants are black (the pictures look faded but the pants are not faded) and has the knee armor (sas-tec)." I'd definitely ask for better pictures. The seller has a 100% satisfaction rating out of 87 transactions, which makes me inclined to trust his description.

If you don't want used gear, I have a few questions for you.
  • Do you want Gore-Tex Pro Shell or will other laminated waterproof membranes work?
  • When you spoke about the Poseidon's price being too expensive, were you referring to the jacket or the jacket and pants? The REV'IT! Poseidon GTX pants are currently one of the best options to pair with your Everest jacket.
  • What is your price range for pants?
  • Are you set on REV'IT! or are other brands in play?
  • Are you set on having a removable thermal liner or would you be willing to try base and mid layers?
I look forward to hearing from you!

Ride safely,

-Hi-Viz Brian

P.S. - You have a very nice bike!
HVB
Thank you for the link and option to purchase even if the vendor doesn't want to post to the UK - very helpful. Ideally I would like new kit but will see if the vendor can provide better pictures.
The UK has relatively mild but frequently wet changeable weather- temperature surprises are rare - adding or removing an insulating liner is only likely to happen at the start of the ride.
However during unsettled spells of weather rain showers can be very variable- stopping, removing pants, inserting layer and then putting pants on again would be very tiresome! Especially if the liners make getting the pants on & off over boots difficult or vulnerable to tearing. So I thought waterproof barrier bonded to shell would be best - however I could be convinced otherwise.
I currently have a one piece Aerostich Roadcrafter which is great but I have lost weight so it engulfs me somewhat and on a recent tour through France looking at the D Day beaches I sat in a puddle of water .. it is usually watertight but they do sometimes leak plus I want a smarter look and the flexibility of a two piece outfit - the Rev'It clothing looks smart and has a good reputation.
A removable thermal layer may allow me to wear the pants over my regular suit pants for commuting to work - I guess I want it all :loll
I had a budget of c. US$800 for the new outfit, I've probably overdone it on the jacket at US$500 and left myself with enough for shorts! Having looked at your video on sizing I'm on the cusp of medium/large.
Thanks for taking the time to reply
dogfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:17 AM   #1226
Luckycharms
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Hey Brian,

Could you compare/contrast the Rev'It Poseiden Jacket with the Klim Latitude Misano Jacket.

I currently have a Sand Jacket and I can't stand the removable waterproof liner. I feel that venting has come a long way in jackets with a waterproof outer shell and these are my top two choices.

This is for on road use only hence why I left out the badlands pro jacket.

Thanks
Luckycharms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:56 AM   #1227
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,717
Brian,

Do you know if the Klim badlands jackets are being made in Vietnam? I just purchased a Latitude Misano from a local dealer and I have to return it because it's cut much bigger than the Chinese made Latitudes. It was made in Vietnam. I'm hoping the Badlands are Vietnamese made and cut larger since I'm in between a Large and XL.
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:56 PM   #1228
FLtrooper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Gracias Brian.. Love my new laZer so far. I Can't wait to really test it out!

:)
FLtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:05 AM   #1229
ZLAHiVizBrian
So Viz-able!

REV'IT! Women's Ignition 2 Jacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Thanks. So the Ignition 2 is a bit more roomy than the original Ignition?
You're welcome! Correct, the Women's Ignition 2 has a more relaxed and curvier cut compared to the original Women's Ignition.

-HVB

Old 09-02-2014, 09:55 AM   #1230
ZLAHiVizBrian
So Viz-able!

REV'IT! Everest GTX Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfm View Post
HVB
Thank you for the link and option to purchase even if the vendor doesn't want to post to the UK - very helpful. Ideally I would like new kit but will see if the vendor can provide better pictures.
The UK has relatively mild but frequently wet changeable weather- temperature surprises are rare - adding or removing an insulating liner is only likely to happen at the start of the ride.
However during unsettled spells of weather rain showers can be very variable- stopping, removing pants, inserting layer and then putting pants on again would be very tiresome! Especially if the liners make getting the pants on & off over boots difficult or vulnerable to tearing. So I thought waterproof barrier bonded to shell would be best - however I could be convinced otherwise.
I currently have a one piece Aerostich Roadcrafter which is great but I have lost weight so it engulfs me somewhat and on a recent tour through France looking at the D Day beaches I sat in a puddle of water .. it is usually watertight but they do sometimes leak plus I want a smarter look and the flexibility of a two piece outfit - the Rev'It clothing looks smart and has a good reputation.
A removable thermal layer may allow me to wear the pants over my regular suit pants for commuting to work - I guess I want it all :loll
I had a budget of c. US$800 for the new outfit, I've probably overdone it on the jacket at US$500 and left myself with enough for shorts! Having looked at your video on sizing I'm on the cusp of medium/large.
Thanks for taking the time to reply
dogfm,

I appreciate your patience. I had a long weekend of riding and kayaking outside of mobile range.

If the vendor provides pictures that look good, it might not be a bad idea to consider used pants, keeping in mind Gore's warranty -- Guaranteed to Keep You Dry™ Promise, if you are not completely satisfied with the waterproof, windproof or breathable performance of your GORE-TEX® product, Gore will repair it, replace it or refund your purchase price. -- This guarantee is for the life of the garment.

I am also a fan of waterproof shells, mostly because of the unpredictable weather we experience in Pennsylvania. My current setup is the Held Carese II Jacket and Torno II Pants (pictured below). I love the setup, but wish it had laminated shells for convenience instead of drop liners.

Ride of Shame (Shock mount snapped after Dan (passenger) thought his KLR was a motocross bike. Shock went through airbox and piece of airbox got caught in carb causing random WOT spurts)

As I mentioned before, the REV'IT! Poseidon GTX pants are one of the best options to pair with your Everest jacket. However, $629.99 puts you way over budget. If the used pants don't work out, I recommend the Klim Latitude Misano Pants.
  • Almost as rugged as the Everest GTX jacket / pants
  • Laminated Gore-Tex shell
  • Basic in their design / will match most jackets (pictures below with Poseidon GTX jacket -- They are the same pants in different light)
  • $100 over budget (one of the least expensive laminated GTX options)
  • Does not come with a thermal liner
  • Like REV'IT!, Klim has a great reputation in the ADV community

Let me know what you think. If you need help with sizing, send me the measurements listed below.
  • Height
  • Weight
  • Chest
  • Waist (around navel)
  • Inseam
Cheers,

-HVB