User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
oregon07klr OP
Born2lurk. Forced2work.

Oddometer: 65
A XR600 rebirth

As some of you on here may know I purchased this 1991 XR600R in sept. I rode the thing a bit but then the snow came.....

I started the rebirth by putting on a frontend off of a CRFX. You can read about it here.
The snow wasn't melting at all so I thought I might as well tear it apart and at least getting it looking good!

Got the bike down to the frame and painted it white.

A couple coats of primer and a couple of paint and a final two of clear.

The wife got me a gift certificate for Motosport so I got some seals for the engine and some new plastics that I wanted....
Counter shaft seal and kickstart seal installed....

I got some fabric that had somewhat of a gripper texture on the back. Tried to dye it black but it didn't really take the dye. Used it as my seat cover. I'll probably get a real seat cover in black when this one bites the dust....

Got it all back together. Painted the tank and Headlight plastics. Intalled a new Eibach rear spring....
Also got turn signals, new rear fender and brake light, and wiriing harness from Procycle. Wired it up and took it for a spin.

Still trying to figure out the stator rewind. Not getting much juice to the lights...probably need to take it back out and check my connections.
The bike runs strong and starts easy after the inititial start...so I didn't feel the need to do much to the engine....
Still need a skidplate, bigger tank, stator? etc, etc, etc.....
It was good fun, but the real fun will start when the mountains melt off.....
oregon07klr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,667
nice!

You can't swing a dead cat in here without hitting an XR600 being rebirthed
IBA #11735 . 1968-present

Blakebird screwed with this post 01-22-2009 at 07:45 PM
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
jgrady1982
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
Awesome thread!

I am currently in the process of rebuilding my 1986 XL600R. What kind of paint, and primer did you use to spray the frame, and also what kind of clear coat? How many cans of each did you need? I want to paint my frame in the spring and I am getting ideas. I am thinking about soda blasting mine with a small soda blasting kit I found on Harborfreight.com.

Why did you need to get a new shock spring? Did this increase your ride height at all? I am currently reverse engineering my lower shock link to make it shorter and hopefully raise the rear seat height.

Was that the original rear fender on the bike? It looks really good, that could be a possibility for mine.

Really great looking thumper! This place is such an inspiration for amateurs like myself! Thanks - Jack

One more thing...Every website that I have found that has anything to do with XR/XL600R's states that you pretty much have to replace the stator for sure and most likely the CDI. Once spring comes those are the first two things to be replaced on my bike. On a 23 year old bike, to me all the electrical should be at least gone over if not replaced. It is only a matter of time. I am ordering a new wiring harness, CDI and stator this weekend. I already purchased a new coil, and I will probably get a new pickup as well. I think that they are pretty cheap.

People rave about the RickyStator stators. Those seem to be the best. Good luck!

My 1986 XL600R

[IMG][/IMG]
jgrady1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrady1982
People rave about the RickyStator stators. Those seem to be the best.
Their service is supposed to be excellent too. Don't discount the Baja Designs piece though.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:49 PM   #5
oregon07klr OP
Born2lurk. Forced2work.

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrady1982

1. What kind of paint, and primer did you use to spray the frame, and also what kind of clear coat?
2. How many cans of each did you need?
Why did you need to get a new shock spring?
3. Did this increase your ride height at all?
4. Was that the original rear fender on the bike?
1. I used Rustoleum bare metal primer that I found at Mal*Wart. I started removing all of the stock paint to bare metal with a wire brush on an angle grinder, but then thought it couldn't hurt to leave it on and just sanded the gloss off.

2. It took about 3 cans of primer, two of paint, and one of clear. The clear was some Laccur(sp?) by Rustoleum...I figured it might give some protectant to the paint? It probably doesn't matter what brand of paint you use, I have just read that you want to use the same BRAND of paint, primer and clear.

3. The stock spring is only rated for 145lbs. (someone correct me if I'm wrong?) and I am at 180 with gear and carry a load sometimes, so I went with the 11.5kg Eibach spring...which I think is 200-220. Seems great so far. As far as your link goes, post a message up in the classifieds on here and TT that you want to trade for the stocker...unless you can weld aluminium well, even if you can, Ill bet there is a lot of stress on it.

4. The front and rear fenders are from a CRF. They don't match the honda red. More of an orange-red. The rear needs some trimming to fit, and the front, some so that it doesn't melt on the pipe.

Keep us posted on your build!!

Seth
oregon07klr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:09 PM   #6
XRider
Almost Lifelike

Oddometer: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird
Their service is supposed to be excellent too. Don't discount the Baja Designs piece though.
I think the B.D. 250w rewind is the way to go. With the 125w x2 rewind you can run the DSK with one of the 125w outputs and with the other power 2 55w halogens. The 200w Ricky stator, (I should add that it's a very solid product) with one tap for the DSK, the remaining 100w isn't quite enough for 2 halogens. And 55w halogen lights are by far the most numerous.

Just my 2c.
RZ350L Kenny Roberts Special
BMW 1150GS It's like ridding a Barkalounger
XRider is offline   Reply With Quote