Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2009, 06:11 PM   #76
eduardobibm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,691
One Week Old Today, Showered it with gifts

The Gift of Freedom

"Must be a yearning deep in human heart to stop other people from doing as they please. Rules, laws always for other fellow ... was always something they hated to see neighbors doing. Stop them 'for their own good' not because speaker claimed to be harmed by it."
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

eduardobibm screwed with this post 02-21-2009 at 07:24 PM
eduardobibm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:14 PM   #77
pterry OP
Desert rider

Oddometer: 586
Gps?

Eduard,
Nice bike!
What model etrax is that and does the mount come from Garmin?
pterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:32 PM   #78
eduardobibm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,691
This is the eTrex Vista Hcx.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=8703

The built in electronic compass really does help. I love this thing. I expanded the memory with the 2gig MicroSD card and loaded the full NA Maps. I take it with me when I travel for business, which is a lot. Fully functional portable GPS that you can use on the road, and tough enough to punt across a field and into a lake. Great little unit.

The mount is made by RAM
http://www.ram-mount.com/products/motorcycles.htm

They make a mount for just about anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pterry
Eduard,
Nice bike!
What model etrax is that and does the mount come from Garmin?
"Must be a yearning deep in human heart to stop other people from doing as they please. Rules, laws always for other fellow ... was always something they hated to see neighbors doing. Stop them 'for their own good' not because speaker claimed to be harmed by it."
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
eduardobibm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:06 PM   #79
turbonotch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
FOR ALL YOU OWNERS:

how is long term durability and maintenance on the RFS and XC4 bikes?

i'm curious about your *real life* experiences related to overheating, jetting, oil use, valve adjustments, valve replacement, clutches, piston/rings, etc.

i don't expect it to be the next KLR/DR/XRL... but i'm hopeful that these bikes could serve my purposes as long distance single track bikes that could realistically near 10k miles before it's first major rebuild. basically a modern, lighter XRR.

i currently run a KTM 2-stroke in enduros and i already have 2 sets of wheels for it (sand tires and ice-stud tires)

i've considered used DRZ-Es with plates and the Huskies, but i would really like to find a deal on a 450/530 as they seem to be great short distance dual sports and single-track worthy bikes. PLUS with a set of 17" rims and i'll have two KTMs with 4 wheel-sets to choose from: sand, rock, DOT, and super-moto

my current dualsport is a KLX650C... which is awesome on the high way, curvy pavement and jeep trails, but falls short when i get in my element offroad. sure, it's barely broken in at 8k miles, but when i try to ride it like an enduro bike and it just doesn't like it much at all!

guidance?
*2003 KTM 250EXC - 'SJER/ECEA bike' **2003 KTM 300EXC - 'Rock Bike' **1999 YZ125/500cc hybrid - 'Adrenaline' **1992 DR350S - 'day tripper' **1978 YZ400 - 'Vintage Big Bore **1981 Kawasaki KL250 - 'Dad's' **1979 Yamaha MX100 - 'lost & found'

turbonotch screwed with this post 02-21-2009 at 08:15 PM
turbonotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:08 PM   #80
Zak Smith

Oddometer: 504
My 09 450 XCW has 1100 miles and like 50 hours, 4 races. Valves are still in adjustment and it runs great.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:45 PM   #81
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Turbonotch- I posted this response in another thread. It may shine some light on your question.

I use one bike for week long trips both in Supermotard and Dual Sport Trim in Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia. Things need to work over here since there are no dealers or parts stores for any large bikes in the three countries .

That was my goal in setting up my 525EXC. I wanted it to be an XR650 but lighter, better suspended and with electric start. Since I'm only 140 pounds and a short arse the 525's light wieght and electric start really attracted me. it is not a great long distance Dual Sport out of the box stock and needs some attention to get it to rival an XR in terms of reliability and Maintenance.

Issues with long. extended trips on the 525 are it needs more freguent oil changes and valve checks (and adjustments)than the XR. I got the 525 closer to the XR in these terms with the HT-Racing oil cooler for more oil capacity that will assist in pushing the oil change regiment out to 1000 miles.

I've done multiple trips this length and more and the oil is not yet dark black. If I have the opportunity I of course will change it a bit earlier with just an oil flush (new oil and no cleaning of the oil filters or screens). This has worked for my bike so far without any issues. The cooler increasses the capacity by 52% so you go from a stock 1.27 quarts to 2.1 quarts ( the cooler adds 800cc's of oil). By comparison my buddies XR650 uses 1.65 quarts so the HT-Cooler is a great addition if you want to increase the mileage between changes.

In regards to valve issues one of the best upgrades seems to Kibblewhite Stainless steel Valves on the intake side. These valves stay in adjustment longer than the standard titanium pieces. Towards the end of a trip my stock valves would need an adjustment, not difficult but ideally I would like to avoid adjustments out in the field. The SS valves seems to have solved that problem. Once seated i did two 1000 mile trips with no adjustment needed on the trips. Sadly I've got a leg in four pieces now so further evidence supporting this stance will have to wait for the leg to heal.

Those two items solve the maintenance issues with the KTM to at least elevate it to acceptable status as a long distance dual sport bike. Not only that but you get to ride a racebike versus 20 year old technology (a bit of bias here) that wieghs an extra 30 pounds and does not have E-start. I love watching my buddy when he bins it, and has to go through the "drill" of relighting his XR with 11 kicks whilst I can just hit a button. Besides wouldn't you rather be with a KTM supermodel Luscious Louella rather than XR practical sally all fat and frumpy from home economics class ? Here's a shot of both bikes on a river crossing doing a super motard ride. Hell we got bored on the tarmac and went exploring. Both bikes died on the crossing and my buddy was giving me shit about the high end enduro KTM blowing chunks as his lowly XR made it farther across the river.

Back to business. I said I wanted a modern, lighter, XR beater. Well the 510 is down on some torque to the XR and my buddy and I also run these bikes in Supermotard trim so I could not let him crush me on the tarmac .

Enter Thumper Racings 570 Big Bore kit, HotCams high end cam, and Trail-Techs lightened flywheel. These mods after multiple drag races against my buddies uncorked (otherwise standard)XR650 have given me great pleasure. He gets a bike length lead due to his prodigous torque but once the cams come in I go by him on the top end. Gorgeous!!!

Various other posters have desribed options to make the 525 even better so you can spend as much as you like but bottom line with the Oil Cooler and SS intake valves you solve the maintenance issues.

I can also vouch for the Scotts Steering dampner to calm the headshake at speed, and DirtBagz softbags to handle luggage capacity on the EXC.

An addendum: I recently had to tear my motor completely down (punched a 3 inch hole through the cases ) and was curious how the faces of 5th and 6th gear were faring since the bike gets 17" slicks for the goKart track and sportbike tires for the tarmac twisties. Combine that with the built motor and I was curious if there would be any signs of abuse on the gear facing. Result: Nope, nada, clean as a whistle so I beleive the cush drive recommendation whilst not a bad idea, its neccesity may be overated.

Anyway those are my experiences on the 525 and four years on they have not built a new model bike that causes me to want to trade it in. Lighwieght, electric start, great power and practical. What more could you want? Best of luck?
------------------
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:57 PM   #82
pterry OP
Desert rider

Thanks for the info eduardo!
Old 02-22-2009, 03:57 PM   #83
turbonotch
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb
I wanted it to be an XR650 but lighter and with electric start.
snip> the 525's light wieght and electric start really attracted me.
> I got the 525 closer to the XR in these terms with the HT-Racing oil cooler for more oil capacity that will assist in pushing the oil change regiment out to 1000 miles.
snip> The cooler increasses the capacity by 52% so you go from a stock 1.27 quarts to 2.1 quarts ( the cooler adds 800cc's of oil). By comparison my buddies XR650 uses 1.65 quarts so the HT-Cooler is a great addition if you want to increase the mileage between changes.

snip> Once seated i did two 1000 mile trips with no adjustment needed on the trips.
snip> Not only that but you get to ride a racebike versus 20 year old technology (a bit of bias here) that wieghs an extra 30 pounds and does not have E-start. I love watching my buddy when he bins it, and has to go through the "drill" of relighting his XR with 11 kicks whilst I can just hit a button.

snip> I recently had to tear my motor completely down (punched a 3 inch hole through the cases ) and was curious how the faces of 5th and 6th gear were faring since the bike gets 17" slicks for the goKart track and sportbike tires for the tarmac twisties. Combine that with the built motor and I was curious if there would be any signs of abuse on the gear facing. Result: Nope, nada, clean as a whistle so I beleive the cush drive recommendation whilst not a bad idea, its neccesity may be overated.
snip>Anyway those are my experiences on the 525 and four years on they have not built a new model bike that causes me to want to trade it in. Lighwieght, electric start, great power and practical. What more could you want? Best of luck?

WOW! I don't think I could have *IMAGINED* a more detailed, insightful, helpful post! It's got me psyched about seriously looking for a big KTM.

I've read some of your posts in the past and was always impressed with your style, good-on-you for being serious enough a ride an 'exotic' bike over there! i'd imagine KTMs are few and far between

Hope your leg heals up! I've been there - you'll be jonesin' for a twist grip by the time you're all better

My one buddy dualsports an XR650R... and while it IS a legendary bike and reliable as a claw hammer (for a plated race bike)... I must say I've never been impressed by its technology, handling, or ability. I guess it's from being around KTM and GasGas 2-stroke enduro bikes.

It's big, heavy, and tiring to ride. Brute force and ego gets the job done on a 650R. Not to mention the gearing could be better for how I ride.

And I'd be just fine with never owning another kickstart 4-stroke.

I'm not downing the 650R. An amazing bike, but it seems like a step backward for my desired goals. It's a historical milestone, but not the top rung of the ladder.
*2003 KTM 250EXC - 'SJER/ECEA bike' **2003 KTM 300EXC - 'Rock Bike' **1999 YZ125/500cc hybrid - 'Adrenaline' **1992 DR350S - 'day tripper' **1978 YZ400 - 'Vintage Big Bore **1981 Kawasaki KL250 - 'Dad's' **1979 Yamaha MX100 - 'lost & found'
Old 02-22-2009, 04:24 PM   #84
turbonotch
Studly Adventurer

Anybody else have any experiences to share? How about some durability reports on the newer 530 variant of the breed?

I'd prefer a factory dualsport version to avoid paperwork snags and nosey law enforcement... so the odds that i might own a 530 are decent.

After thinking about how a big KTM would fit in my 'lineup' most likely I would use it for exploring, dualsports, and 500-1000mile vacation rides. So the intervals team ftb mentioned seem very reasonable for me.

Probably save the 2-smoker for competition rides/fast single track and I may keep my KLX-C for any extended rides when loaded down with full gear (1000+ miles).
Old 02-22-2009, 04:44 PM   #85
hollywood_72
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
Here is my '06 400exc

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Racing at a GNCC event

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Riding at a dual sport event

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Kennedy
hollywood_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:33 AM   #86
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,482

Recently aquired from a riding buddy. As in, Saturday 2-21-09
oh, that's HIS trailer, not mine.

2004 525exc
2006 525SX frame. Bronze Powdercoated
Factory Connection Suspension for 215lb B Desert racer
Topar 14mm offset Billet Triple clamps
Topar Sharkfin w/ caliper guard
Topar Chain Guard/Slave guard
HYDE skidplate
E-line Carbon Fiber Exhaust guards
Pro-Circuit Ti-4 w/ quiet tip and Sparky
Rekluse Auto Clutch
ProMotoBillet Kickstand
Gold Excel Rims
HD SS Spokes
Clarke 3.5 gallon tank
Cycra Pro-bends
Ironman Sprockets
Dirt-Bike-Gear.com "fast boy" fender pack
Baja Designs DS kit (not shown)
HT racing Header
HT racing Oil Cooler (not installed yet)
Acerbis Front Disk guard
SX coolant Hoses
Too2cool coolant
Reinforced subframe
EE SuperSoft Comfort seat
SS Footpegs
Upgraded Headlight bulb
120watt TT stator (not installed yet)
KTM radiator braces
Maxxis Desert IT tires
Every KTM hardparts orange fluid cap and finned oil filter covers.

The Bling King.
Oh, it's only got about 120 hrs on it.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:09 AM   #87
pterry OP
Desert rider

Cody,
Serious bling! I don't think there is anything left (aftermarket or oem) to buy for it! Sweet bike! I going to look into that e-line pipe guard.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:42 AM   #88
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Just the EE rear tank, TT X2 HID headlamp. Heated grips and Steering Stabilizer. Might swap out the pegs for Fastways, I really like them on the two bikes i've tried with them. www.dirt-bike-gear.com front fender bag, and Tuggers.

I called Topar this morning and ordered the taller bar risers (I'm 6-1 with a bad knee), and will go pickup some fatter grips this afternoon (the little "diamond" pattern Renthals that are on it suck ass). They don't have an Under-bar mounting kit for their top clamps yet, so I'll have to explore some options.

The Composite Cycra Pro-bends that are on it are not my style (he kept his Fastway system for his new 530) and they'll have to get tossed in the parts bin in favor of a sturdier solution. Most likely the Aluminum Pro-Bends with BONZ clamps (like I had on my 300), these from Enduro Engineering, or Cycra CRM mounts.

Any other good options you guys can think of? (Not that Acerbis or Tusk junk)

CodyY screwed with this post 02-23-2009 at 11:46 AM
CodyY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:34 PM   #89
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY
Any other good options you guys can think of? (Not that Acerbis or Tusk junk)
PHDS Bar clamps
(which means you cant use the Bonz guard mounts)
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:02 PM   #90
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookymoo
PHDS Bar clamps
(which means you cant use the Bonz guard mounts)
Won't work; got these already. They're fooking STOUT! And after seeing an OEM lower clamp split at the stem and the front end depart in CO last fall; I'm glad to have em.