ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2009, 04:21 PM   #811
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,734
So does the crackberry give you a link to the picture and not just the picture?

I saved it in my photobucket with the dead guys name but I could have just named it anything. If I had saved it on my computer as picture #45 would that have solved the problem.

I don't see anything but the picture on my desktop. I certainly don't want to spoil the game for anybody else.
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:24 PM   #812
hojo in sc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling
So does the crackberry give you a link to the picture and not just the picture?

I saved it in my photobucket with the dead guys name but I could have just named it anything. If I had saved it on my computer as picture #45 would that have solved the problem.

I don't see anything but the picture on my desktop. I certainly don't want to spoil the game for anybody else.
Yes, on my crackberry it gives the name, maybe that it the issue (I'm gonna take a look at it on my desktop, I don't see the name on my Mac, but then again, I haven't figured out how to copy and paste with it either, even though I get a pop up window that says 'copy'.
hojo in sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:24 PM   #813
Land
Wanderer

Oddometer: 3,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughlysses
One is a large ape.
I have this person identified and the tag located, but the part about the arge ape is not something I'm familiar with. But I really should get back to this paper I'm supposed to be writing instead of spending time as a Google jockey, so I'll have to wait and hope that the tag grabber or Hughlysses will edumacate me after the tag is claimed.

Looks like that broken fence isn't very old. Hughlysses, you didn't break it, didja?

Alright, flatlanders -- how long are you gonna let it sit?

All the best,
Chris
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:31 PM   #814
hojo in sc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 935
Grave Give Away

Okay, I think we have it figured out. Cboiling had saved the photo with the name in the body of the file (no pun intended), in doing so when I got the link, I could see in his photobucket what he had called it (not sure if you can on a PC, but on my blackberry I get the name of the photo file). When Land just posted his photo, I see where it is saved, but he did not save with any give away of the Tag location (such as who is in the grave).

In summay, make sure you save photos for the tag without any ID marks.
hojo in sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:39 PM   #815
Land
Wanderer

Quote:
That would be the ticket.

Quote:
Your pic is all I see on my computer -- until I look at the source for it. That gives me the name of the dude. Be careful. I kind of consider it fair game if the tag poster leaves what may be unintentional clues "available" , but I try to be extra careful not to give away any clues to someone else's tag myself.

You probably have time to make your 400-mile round trip to go get this tag, by the way, since most of the folks downstate would have to go buy a motorcycle, get it insured and registered and all that jazz before they could actually ride to claim the tag.

Chris
Old 04-19-2009, 04:52 PM   #816
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,588
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughlysses
Ha! Got it! (I actually have a ride report I did a couple of years ago including that location.) Now all I have to do is ride 105 miles, take the photo, ride 105 miles back, and post it before anyone else...
Doh!

I remember that report now....I even posted in it about Boykin!

Another one that I've been to but didn't recognize.....

In fact, I almost used a Boykin file instead of that Brattonsville pic a couple weeks ago.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:02 PM   #817
marc morgan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Wow, you guys have been busy. Glad to see the progress of the game. I took the weekend to drive to a corvette show in Charleston ( my other hobby , when I'm not finding tags). I came in second in my class which wasn't bad considering the number of entries.

Land..."Again, why? I've said it before: Stumping people is easy. There's no real challenge in that. Clever, creative clues that require a little thought to figure out about interesting locations are what, I think, make this game worth participating in."

I'm sorry if I came across as trying to make it impossible. I thought I was giving "creative " clues" . I was only jokingly commenting on how fast someone picked up on what I thought was an obscure tag .
I agree that it is about the ride, but it is also about picking not so obvious areas and giving clues that will make us think a little bit before posting it up on google from the comfort of our homes! Google is a great tool and maybe it should be used silently instead of a way for those who don't go get the tags to post pictures of the tag (without a motorcycle) just so everyone knows they figured it out. We are starting to see where this method has its flaws and possibly making it unfair for those truly wanting to ride to the tag.

Okay, so back to the game and BTW to ya'll "southern riders" "Your Welcome!"
Old 04-19-2009, 05:42 PM   #818
Land
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc morgan
Google is a great tool and maybe it should be used silently instead of a way for those who don't go get the tags to post pictures of the tag (without a motorcycle) just so everyone knows they figured it out.
I, for one, like to see posts from Google jockeys who have figured it out. It shows me that it is possible to find the tag online based on the clues provided and that I need to quit being a knucklehead and should work a little harder to find it/figure it out. It also keeps the thread moving and interesting, IMHO, and it lets folks who can't get out and grab a particular tag participate in the thread.

Quote:
We are starting to see where this method has its flaws and possibly making it unfair for those truly wanting to ride to the tag.
I'm not sure how it makes it unfair for those who want to ride to get the tag. It might make it less of a challenge for Google jockeys if we aren't careful, though.

Congrats on the Corvette show award.

Anyway, as you said -- back to the game! (or, for me, back to the paper I'm supposed to be writing)

All the best,
Chris
Old 04-19-2009, 05:46 PM   #819
marc morgan
Gnarly Adventurer

Hughlysses:
Nice clues. Very thought provoking! If I'd have been on the 800GS instead of cage , I'd of nabbed this one! Well lets see, if I leave at 3:00 a.m. head in that direction, skip breakfast , start with a full tank ...oh and stop at the libratry to upload, oooh they won't be open yet, hmmm. must ride faster. Yep, I think I can have it back in my county before work! Who's with me!
Old 04-19-2009, 05:51 PM   #820
marc morgan
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land
I, for one, like to see posts from Google jockeys who have figured it out. It shows me that it is possible to find the tag online based on the clues provided and that I need to quit being a knucklehead and should work a little harder to find it/figure it out. It also keeps the thread moving and interesting, IMHO, and it lets folks who can't get out and grab a particular tag participate in the thread.

I'm not sure how it makes it unfair for those who want to ride to get the tag. It might make it less of a challenge for Google jockeys if we aren't careful, though.

Congrats on the Corvette show award.

Anyway, as you said -- back to the game! (or, for me, back to the paper I'm supposed to be writing)

All the best,
Chris
I simply meant that if someone brings up the photo( because it was a posted google find) and the name is in the file, its an easy tag. Not fair for those trying to get tag by figuring out clues without seeing google photo file name or street name in the posted photo. I know that nobody has done this intentionally, but all I'm saying is why do you need to post the photo if you don't have your bike in it.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:28 PM   #821
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land
I have this person identified and the tag located, but the part about the arge ape is not something I'm familiar with. But I really should get back to this paper I'm supposed to be writing instead of spending time as a Google jockey, so I'll have to wait and hope that the tag grabber or Hughlysses will edumacate me after the tag is claimed.

Looks like that broken fence isn't very old. Hughlysses, you didn't break it, didja?

Alright, flatlanders -- how long are you gonna let it sit?

All the best,
Chris
Hey Chris- If you read very much about the guy, you'll find reference to that ape.

Actually, I was at this site over a month ago and the fence was already broken then. The fence looks fairly new, and the county or somebody has been doing some much-needed road maintenance on the road to this site. Glad to see they're looking after him, at least a little.

Hugh
Old 04-19-2009, 06:40 PM   #822
Land
Wanderer

Quote:
I simply meant that if someone brings up the photo( because it was a posted google find) and the name is in the file, its an easy tag. Not fair for those trying to get tag by figuring out clues without seeing google photo file name or street name in the posted photo. I know that nobody has done this intentionally, but all I'm saying is why do you need to post the photo if you don't have your bike in it.
Okay, but that is a different issue than being unfair for those who want to ride to get the tag. That has to do with the clue-figuring side of the game, not the riding side.

As for the why of posting a Google-jockeyed pic, see my last post. Anyone posting one should use caution to ensure that he or she doesn't give up clues. This latest incident is pretty limited as to who would get a spoiler, though. In most cases, only someone looking for that would see it.

All the best,
Chris
Old 04-19-2009, 07:41 PM   #823
Justin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
I'm enjoying seeing all the new Tags around South Carolina... !!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #824
mangyrat
Low life

Oddometer: 814
looks like your tagging in my back yard again.

mangyrat screwed with this post 04-19-2009 at 09:18 PM
mangyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:23 PM   #825
costello
Banned

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Hughlysses:
Nice clues. Very thought provoking! If I'd have been on the 800GS instead of cage , I'd of nabbed this one! Well lets see, if I leave at 3:00 a.m. head in that direction, skip breakfast , start with a full tank ...oh and stop at the libratry to upload, oooh they won't be open yet, hmmm. must ride faster. Yep, I think I can have it back in my county before work! Who's with me!

An all night ride to Charleston and back is not what I had planned tonight.

If I was still 25 I'd be in!
costello is offline   Reply With Quote