User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2009, 12:00 AM   #1
chunter OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
F800gs fuel pump backordered??!!!!!!!

I've been informed that my defective fuel pump (on a brand-new F800GS) is backordered in three-digit numbers (ie, more than 99 are backordered)! My bike has been in the shop for 18 days and I've only owned it for 21 days total! They have told me that they won't have any until at least the end of February! Complicating the issue is the fact that my local dealership in Hawaii didn't have any F800GS's, so I had one shipped from North Carolina. It makes it a little harder for me to drop it off and reverse the charges.

Is anyone else out there waiting on a fuel pump? Has anyone else had this kind of issue before?

The "customer service manager" at BMW Corporate today told me that I could do nothing but wait for the part and when my bike is fixed. He couldn't even give me a deadline for the part or a resolution. I'm livid.

Thanks for your help.
chunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:22 AM   #2
midengineracer
Lost, with a GPS

Oddometer: 1,285
F800riders

I gave you a bit of advice on the other forum, hope it helps.

For anyone else on here that might be curious:
http://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23543
2010 H-D XR1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
The best accessory for a KLR is another bike for riding offroad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin
I need to start riding my bicycle more so I can justify a cool new one.
midengineracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:47 AM   #3
Benjava
?

Oddometer: 1,920
Check your states lemon laws.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:02 AM   #4
chunter OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by midengineracer
I gave you a bit of advice on the other forum, hope it helps.

For anyone else on here that might be curious:
http://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23543
I saw that. Thank you.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:59 AM   #5
cisco
old fat guy

Oddometer: 277
Pissed Same here!

I dropped my bike off on Dec. 13th. I been waiting for a pump ever since. There have been two delivery dates that have come and gone, the last one being the 21st. When I called on the 21st to make plans to pick up my bike the service manager informs me that the pump that was due that day is now not " available for world wide distribution" until after the first of Feb! What a bunch of FUCKING BULL SHIT. I didn't pay $14k to have my bike sit in a dealer's back room waiting for parts. Az leamon law is on my side. If after 30 day they are not able the return my bike in running order they are obligated to replace it or refund the money. The wheels are rolling now, to replace my bike. I gave them a week or they can write a check. I know that the new pump has a different part number. How much differant the pumps are is any body's guess. We pay more for the BMW in order to get better quality, better reliability, and customer service. It looks like BMW is going in a differant direction.
Cisco
"
cisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:12 PM   #6
chunter OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco
I dropped my bike off on Dec. 13th. I been waiting for a pump ever since. There have been two delivery dates that have come and gone, the last one being the 21st. When I called on the 21st to make plans to pick up my bike the service manager informs me that the pump that was due that day is now not " available for world wide distribution" until after the first of Feb! What a bunch of FUCKING BULL SHIT. I didn't pay $14k to have my bike sit in a dealer's back room waiting for parts. Az leamon law is on my side. If after 30 day they are not able the return my bike in running order they are obligated to replace it or refund the money. The wheels are rolling now, to replace my bike. I gave them a week or they can write a check. I know that the new pump has a different part number. How much differant the pumps are is any body's guess. We pay more for the BMW in order to get better quality, better reliability, and customer service. It looks like BMW is going in a differant direction.
Cisco
"
Obvioulsy I totally agree with your statement. I think you have been much more patient than I will be. It is now 15 business days that my bike has been in the shop, and once I hits 20 business days, I'm going to get an attorney involved.

It is such a shame that BMW, who I always viewed as being likely to be one of the best in customer service and satisfaction, is screwing us around. I was happy to pay a premium for my bike (compared to other bikes with essentially the same features for less money), because I felt that BMW would stand behind their product. BMW shouldn't let a problem with a supplier be absorbed by its supporters. I have always been a strong supporter of the BMW brand, and am likely to buy many more bikes and cars from them in my lifetime IF, and only IF, they deal with this situation properly. Thus far, I am totally losing hope.

I may even be ok with waiting for my bike for an indefinite period of time if I knew what the compensation would be. If I knew that, say, for every day it sits in the shop, BMW would pay me $50, I'd deal with it. At least I'd know that my parking expenses and gas in my truck would be paid for. Driving my truck into downtown Honolulu rather than my bike costs me about $700 per month ($400 for parking and $300 for gas and wear and tear). Thus far, the customer service people at BMW have said things like, "I have a call in to so-and-so, and I'm waiting to hear back." The bureaucracy is killing me.

I have emailed and put a phone call into one of the top customer service people for BMWNA, and I am really hoping she will help. Someone there has got to realize that this is totally unacceptable.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:00 PM   #7
cisco
old fat guy

still pissed

The thing that bugs me the most is the way BMW's story has changed. First it was,the pump will be here in a week. On the delivery date the story became , the pumps are now back ordered until mid Jan. Then it was the pump has shipped and will be delivered on Jan. 21st. Now it's the pump is not available until after the first of Feb.What's up with all the lies? I would be more understanding if I got just the one story. It's not if you make a mistake , It's how one takes care of it. Maybe BMW is more concerned with outward appearances then actually delivering on their image.
Cisco
Old 01-24-2009, 09:30 PM   #8
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,013
Surely the pump for a S or and ST would work.
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:39 PM   #9
chunter OP
Adventurer

Quote:
The thing that bugs me the most is the way BMW's story has changed. First it was,the pump will be here in a week. On the delivery date the story became , the pumps are now back ordered until mid Jan. Then it was the pump has shipped and will be delivered on Jan. 21st. Now it's the pump is not available until after the first of Feb.What's up with all the lies? I would be more understanding if I got just the one story. It's not if you make a mistake , It's how one takes care of it. Maybe BMW is more concerned with outward appearances then actually delivering on their image.
Cisco
The most recent story that I got is that the pump is likely delayed until the end of February, so I wouldn't hold out hope for the first.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:41 PM   #10
chunter OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore
Surely the pump for a S or and ST would work.
The mechanic at the BMW dealership said that he has never seen another pump like it. He said that it is smaller than most, and that the size of the gas-tank opening is too small for other pumps.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:52 AM   #11
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
We pay more for the BMW in order to get better quality, better reliability, and customer service.
"
Really?

I payed more for a BMW because I really like the 800. The rest of that is great marketing.

Sorry about your situation, that really sucks. Reading stories like this gave me many reservations of buying the bike in the first place.....an still does.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:43 PM   #12
chunter OP
Adventurer

Update

The person I'm currently dealing with at BMW has been quite helpful, and I'm more inclined to replace the pump than to lemon the bike. Afterall, I LOVE the bike (when it is running properly), and as long as I feel like BMW is making every effort to resolve the situation, I can wait for a little while. There is some hope that they can get the part and have me on my bike by the end of next week. We'll see what happens.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:04 PM   #13
brianjonesphoto
Single Track Noob

Oddometer: 1,555
Did you finance the bike thru BMW? Find out how much it would cost to rent a 800GS for a day. Rental rate x Days out of use - 10 days because that would be a timely delay= Try to get that amount deducted from your loan.

www.PhotoSupportNW.com

brianjonesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:58 PM   #14
DaneelOlivaw
Irv Seaver BMW; Parts Mgr

Oddometer: 439
F800GS FUEL PUMP; 16147723151; MSRP= $460.95; ALSO FITS F650GS-TWIN

ZERO IN STOCK @ BMW USA

ZERO IN STOCK @ BMW GERMANY

AS MANY AS SIX USA BMW DEALERS AWAIT BACKORDERED UNITS.

=====================================

WE'D TAKE ONE OFF A NEW BIKE IF IT WERE OUR PROBLEM. SEVERAL UNSOLD F800GS's & F650GS's IN STOCK HERE.
DaneelOlivaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:32 PM   #15
cisco
old fat guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneelOlivaw
F800GS FUEL PUMP; 16147723151; MSRP= $460.95; ALSO FITS F650GS-TWIN

ZERO IN STOCK @ BMW USA

ZERO IN STOCK @ BMW GERMANY

AS MANY AS SIX USA BMW DEALERS AWAIT BACKORDERED UNITS.

=====================================

WE'D TAKE ONE OFF A NEW BIKE IF IT WERE OUR PROBLEM. SEVERAL UNSOLD F800GS's & F650GS's IN STOCK HERE.
That is what my dealer is doing. Transplanted the pump from a newly arrived F800GS to my bike. It was that or transfer all of my stuff to the new bike. BMW was ready to trade bikes to get me back on the road, after nearly two months. I'll pick up my bike on Friday. I'll let everybody know if the new pump fixes the stalling problem. Yhe new pump comes with a new part number.
Cisco