Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
ExTex OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Tennis Elbow & Motorcycle Riding..Any Solutions ?

I've developed tennis elbow about 1.5 yrs ago.
Riding motorcycles has prevented it from healing and undoubtedly made it worse.

I use a tennis elbow strap and ride with a throttle lock so I can rest that arm, but neither is a solution for me.

Just wondered what others are doing about their problem.

Thanks & Ride Safely
1985 Sabre 700.......Sold
1983 Shadow 500.... sold
2006 Ninja 500........ sold
ExTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:27 PM   #2
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,456
EXTex, Sorry to hear about that elbow, I know what you are going through.

Here is what worked for me when I was riding a lot of miles on the bike with practice and enduros.

I took a wide rubber band, large enough that I could close my fingers and thumb together, like touching all five together, and put the rubber band on to cover the fingernails.

The exercise that worked for me was to expand my fingers and thumb out as wide as possible working against the resistance of the rubber band., Close , repeat. I stated with 20 reps each hand and worked up to as high a number as I could stand the boredom. I did this many times a day , yes , got some stares/comments, but sure worked for me and then several other riders who suffered the same.

Go to larger/stronger rb as you get stronger.

We tend to strain the muscles/tendon/ligaments that help us grip but very seldom strengthen the muscles that work in opposite manner,ie antagnostic(sp) muscles.

Worked for me, gale ,pagosa springs, co.
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:55 PM   #3
torags
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,445
I had severe tennis elbow years ago, no more. I have no problems riding.

In addition to changing my swing; I put a 3/8 foam around my throttle (glued w latex). It reduces vibration and adds a very rough surface to the grip (unintended consequence) where I don't have to grip it hard.

My last IBA ride was 26 hrs straight, no problem.

BTW.. I got rid of the torn tendon by using hot & cold with a hand held ultra sound machine. I read about the method and it worked.

The reasoning is this: the body has a tendon torn, the body sends blood (swells) to heal. The healing properties of the blood expend themselves (you're left with stale blood). A cold pack for 10-15 minutes contracts the swelling (stale blood). Apply a hot pack and new blood comes with fresh healing properties. I used the ultrasound to accelerate the process.

You might like to try to stop using excessive top spin in addition; that whip is tough on your tendon.

Good luck
'07 HD XR 883R Sportster "Widow Maker"///Gone!
IBA #17225

torags screwed with this post 01-24-2009 at 04:03 PM
torags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:14 PM   #4
cRAsH
Banned

Oddometer: 19,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by torags
You might like to try to stop using excessive top spin in addition; that whip is tough on your tendon.

Good luck

Yabbut, then they all go long.

Good advice on the exercise.
ex, you might also go see a good massage therapist for a little while, hopefully one with some applied kinesiology experience. There are some trigger points you can work on by yourself, once you know where they are.
cRAsH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:15 PM   #5
smokeeater495
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
I feel for you. I developed tennis elbow last summer as a result of breaching a concrete block wall with a sledge hammer.I work for the Fire Department, so it was a time sensitive operation that had to be completed.Couldn't let the young guys see the old man getting tired. I couldn't believe how bad it would hurt when I rode. My hand would fall asleep too. I just limited use as much as possible, not that easy sometimes. Ice packs definitely helped. Chiropractor also kept other areas that were affected by the injury in line. All better now
smokeeater495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:28 PM   #6
SGrider
376 miles to Chicago

Oddometer: 937
Find a good chiropracter certified in ART.

http://www.activerelease.com/
SGrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:45 PM   #7
Monkey_Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRAsH

ex, you might also go see a good massage therapist for a little while, hopefully one with some applied kinesiology experience. There are some trigger points you can work on by yourself, once you know where they are.
+1

TE is usually caused by tension in muscle(s) that appear to be unconnected to the root problem. This tension puts stress on the tendons at the elbow, hence TE. Yes, see a good massage therapist.
Monkey_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:17 AM   #8
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,284
If you actually got TE from playing tennis instead of going riding, she better be hawt and you better post her pic.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:32 PM   #9
ehatcher
Hello? Is this thing on?

Oddometer: 2,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale B.T.
EXTex, Sorry to hear about that elbow, I know what you are going through.

Here is what worked for me when I was riding a lot of miles on the bike with practice and enduros.

I took a wide rubber band, large enough that I could close my fingers and thumb together, like touching all five together, and put the rubber band on to cover the fingernails.

The exercise that worked for me was to expand my fingers and thumb out as wide as possible working against the resistance of the rubber band., Close , repeat. I stated with 20 reps each hand and worked up to as high a number as I could stand the boredom. I did this many times a day , yes , got some stares/comments, but sure worked for me and then several other riders who suffered the same.

Go to larger/stronger rb as you get stronger.

We tend to strain the muscles/tendon/ligaments that help us grip but very seldom strengthen the muscles that work in opposite manner,ie antagnostic(sp) muscles.

Worked for me, gale ,pagosa springs, co.
The rubber band sounded like a good idea. Unfortunately, I was shocked to find that expanding even a very thin rubber band produced excruciating pain. I have been keeping the whole elbow wrapped and taking Advill. Probably time to see an orthopod, trying to ignore it has not been working.

Eric
"Mostly the animals understand their roles, but man, by comparison, seems troubled by a message that he cannot quite remember or has gotten wrong. Bereft of instinct, he must search continually for meanings." Loren Eiseley

ehatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:23 AM   #10
Dirtgeek

Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeeater495
Couldn't let the young guys see the old man getting tired.

i know what ya mean i'm a fire loser too. i do the same thing.

i had tendonitus in my left elbow area. got to where i could hardly shift or grip my mtn bike handlebars. i did ibuprofin and iced it every night. it finally went away.

al
Old 01-27-2009, 10:35 AM   #11
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,441
Had the same condition, acupuncture did the trick, and the guy who did it hooked up some electric shock machine to the needles and pulsed the current through the muscles. Fixed mine. Now I've got bursitis in the shoulder and "frozen shoulder" setting in as well. Growing older sucks.
GodSilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #12
BluegrassPicker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
I had it for about a year and a hald and this cured mine. Did wrist "Curls" with a 3 lb dumbbell.

Grasp weight palm up, curl your wrist up and hold for a few seconds.
Grasp weight palm down, curl your wrist up and hold for a few seconds.
repeat until bored.

Did these every morning. Pain has never come back.
BluegrassPicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #13
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,840
I'm just finishing up PT for tendonitis (tennis elbow) in both arms. I went to an orthopod, who prescribed the PT. Here's what the PT dude told me, and everything he has done seems to have worked:
  • When the tendon gets irritated, the body tries to heal it by laying down new collagen fibers. Problem is, they tend to get layed down somewhat randomly, making the tendon rough and aggravating the irritation. To break that down and help realign the fibers, he used a smooth plastic thingy to "scrape" the tendons on the outside of the arm both above and below the elbow. Just find the bony attachment point on the outside of the elbow and you can follow the tendons up and down. He told me to do it at home with something like the handle of a wooden spoon. Be sure to lube up or you'll rub your skin off. You'll know you're in the right spot because it will feel like you're rubbing over gravel. Do this once a day.
  • To further help align the fibers, put your forearm up on a couple of pillows on a table and grasp a 3-5 lb dumbbell palm down. Lift your hand as far as possible (like WFO), then VERY SLOWLY let the weight drop back down. Do three sets of 10-12 reps. The slow eccentric is critical, because it's the time spent under a steady, gentle load that helps get the tendon back in shape. Once a day.
  • Get some paper Dixie cups, fill them 2/3 with water, and pop them in the freezer. When they're solid tear the top of the paper away so you can still hold onto the bottom of the cup and use the ice to massage the area around the bony attachment. It's more than just icing it, you want to use some pressure as you rub the ice around. Twice a day.
  • He argues against taking Naproxen or Advil or any kind of anti-inflammatory. His point was that the inflammation is the body's way of sending healing agents to the damaged area, and if you stop the inflammation you're interfering with that process.
He does a couple of manipulations when I see him, but everything else you can do yourself. When we started mine was so bad that I couldn't reach under the table and pull in a chair on the other side, and even putting a coat on was very painful on some days. Forget about gripping anything. I've been at his regimen for about two months I guess, and everything is back to being a-ok.

YMMV of course, but it's worked for me. Good luck!
TheOtherBart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:09 PM   #14
drakehouse
Burnin' & Turnin'

Oddometer: 119
GOT it TOO. Both arms for the last year. Left is the worst. Went to PT paint was lessened but not by much. Will look over some of your stuff and try them.
Thanks for postings.

Best to swim against the curent than float down stream
drakehouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:18 PM   #15
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,714
Ossatron.

If you've been seeing an Ortho, a few insurances will cover it.

Workers Comp will always cover it.

I've been working for the company since we got FDA approval 8 years ago.

It's an alternative to open surgery. No incision, 6.5 minutes per elbow,

better than 80% success rate, never been a complication (knocks on wood).

It is done in the OR because it would be EXTREMELY painful without anesthesia.

Ours is the only Electro-Hydraulic device, and the only shockwave device that

has never had a negative study.

http://www.ossatron.com/

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote