ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
jjustj OP
cum petris et choris

Oddometer: 5,466
Stator rewind...anybody ????

need my gas gas stator rewound.. anybody know of shops that do it??? Tried Ricky Stator from back of bike mags :( no luck. Small reliable electrical shop?? Had a hot lead of guy in GJ ( schoop eneterprises) sp?
but the numbers been disconected..
thanks!

Rocky mtn region preferred!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 9,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjustj
need my gas gas stator rewound.. anybody know of shops that do it??? Tried Ricky Stator from back of bike mags :( no luck. Small reliable electrical shop?? Had a hot lead of guy in GJ ( schoop eneterprises) sp?
but the numbers been disconected..
thanks!

Rocky mtn region preferred!
Steamboat Dave does outstanding work.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:20 PM   #3
LostAussie
Growing Old, Not Up!

Oddometer: 538
Is is a pretty easy do it yourself project. I did one for one of my DR305's and it works well. Of course I had to call Stmboat Dave a few times for help!
LostAussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
LostAussie
Growing Old, Not Up!

I unwound as much of the stator wire as possible and then used a dremmel and a pick to remove the parts that would not unwind.

Thanks to Steamboat Dave, I found the #18 magnet wire at Mountain States Electronics 2107 S College Ave, Fort Collins 970-484-1044 for about $18 and the high temp epoxy and Wal-Mart for $1.97.

My winding job isn't very smooth. A little practice would probably help a lot. I wound two more posts than what it had originally. Be sure to wind one post clockwise and then the next counter-clockwise and the next one clockwise, etc. Look closely at how the wires run before taking off the old wire and it is pretty straight forward.

After winding I coated the coils with the high-temp epoxy and let it dry.

Then I connected the ends of the wire to the same place that the old wires connected.

When it was re-installed the lights worked!
Old 01-24-2009, 06:56 PM   #5
Spat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
Lost Aussie, out of curiosity how long did it take to clean and rewind?

Red Green: You ever see one of these? It's called a GPS, this thing uses satellites to tell you where you are, which means that every man can have a five-hundred-dollar reason not to ask for directions.
Spat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:01 PM   #6
LostAussie
Growing Old, Not Up!

It took about two hours to remove the old wire and replace it. I let the epoxy dry over night but didn't really need to leave it that long. The total working time from beginning the removal to completion of the re-installation was less than four hours. That includes the phone time to ask Steamboat Dave questions!
Old 01-24-2009, 07:58 PM   #7
jjustj OP
cum petris et choris

wow

do all bikes use same gauge wire?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
Old 01-24-2009, 08:20 PM   #8
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer: 3,270
Quote:
do all bikes use same gauge wire?
My Scorpa stator needs rewound let me know how your rewind goes

grizzzly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:55 PM   #9
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,968
Notice on Aussie's pictures that there are two different types of windings. The bright copper wire he added is for the lighting coils. The large, dark winding is for the ignition. He isn't messing at all with the ignition winding.

Lighting coils are designed to give high amperage with relative low voltage. Whatever voltage the lighting coils put out, the regulator will limit it to 13-14 volts anyway. The higher amperage requires a heavier gauge wire or the heat generated will cause the coils to melt and short out. Fewer windings produce a lower voltage but allows for a higher amperage.

The ignition coil, on the other hand, has to generate a very high voltage to create the spark. It doesn't require much amperage at all (think the spark from static electricity). The ignition winding has many, many windings which produce a high voltage but the wire is a very light gauge because there isn't much amperage.

So, to answer your question justj - no, all stators don't use the same size wire. It depends on whether you're talking lighting or ignition and it depends on how many poles you have available.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:02 PM   #10
jdubb75
pIgrIDeR

Oddometer: 57
There are a ton of XR650R guys that have rewound their stators and posted about it. Actually, I just gathered the last bits today to start my stator rewind. From all the reading I've done, it's looks pretty simple. Do a quick google search on "stator rewind" and let the reading begin. It looks pretty simple...I guess I'll find out soon.
jdubb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:30 PM   #11
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer: 3,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubb75
There are a ton of XR650R guys that have rewound their stators and posted about it. Actually, I just gathered the last bits today to start my stator rewind. From all the reading I've done, it's looks pretty simple. Do a quick google search on "stator rewind" and let the reading begin. It looks pretty simple...I guess I'll find out soon.
Take lots of pictures

grizzzly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:42 AM   #12
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,797
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAussie
I unwound as much of the stator wire as possible and then used a dremmel and a pick to remove the parts that would not unwind.

Thanks to Steamboat Dave, I found the #18 magnet wire at Mountain States Electronics 2107 S College Ave, Fort Collins 970-484-1044 for about $18 and the high temp epoxy and Wal-Mart for $1.97.

My winding job isn't very smooth. A little practice would probably help a lot. I wound two more posts than what it had originally. Be sure to wind one post clockwise and then the next counter-clockwise and the next one clockwise, etc. Look closely at how the wires run before taking off the old wire and it is pretty straight forward.

After winding I coated the coils with the high-temp epoxy and let it dry.

Then I connected the ends of the wire to the same place that the old wires connected.

When it was re-installed the lights worked!
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:44 AM   #13
Geek
oot & aboot

Quote:
need my gas gas stator rewound..

Why? Is your electric seat not warm enough?
Old 01-25-2009, 10:48 AM   #14
Geek
oot & aboot

Question: So you added two more poles of wind...
any idea how many winds were on each pole before vs. now?
any idea of what your stators output was versus what it is now?
Old 01-25-2009, 05:23 PM   #15
jjustj OP
cum petris et choris

just remember.... the reason they don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek
Why? Is your electric seat not warm enough?

send donkeys to college...

No its the heated grips and power for my widdervest.