User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2002, 11:47 PM   #1
Rod OP
Wacko Ocker

Oddometer: 5,560
Puke Fuck Me ....Foot Note

I got a whiteboard marker and coloured th eunder neith of my fairing yesterday in an effort to track down when the marks were accuring...today I rode into town and went over some bumbs ..with out using the brakes ....and low and behold I had whiteboard marker ink on my front guard( fender) ..so conclusion is my front shock is FUCKED...
I have been talking to my dealer and he is more than awhere of my feelings about R1150RT brakes and is coming up with a deal for me that should cost me zero to a small amount of money as a change over too a R1150RS ..letting me swap all the gizmo's off my bike onto the new one ...so I will be a happy BMW camper agian ....thanks to my Dealer

"I told you I was sick" spike milligan 1918-2002
07 DLK V-strom
Ducati 750SS
'Be who you are and say what you feel...Because those that matter... don't mind...And those that mind... don't matter.'
"to succed at the island you must be comfortable in the knowleged that you may leave in a pine box" Joey Dunlop ..RIP
www.Austouring.com

Rod screwed with this post 06-12-2002 at 12:16 AM
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 03:14 AM   #2
Haynes
Ozzie Cafe Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Moving to RS

Does this mean you'll have to migrate to another Bulletin Board?
I don't think Cookie will be as comfortable on the back of an RS.
Why not fix the RT? It'll be good for at least another 60,000km.
Old 06-12-2002, 04:01 AM   #3
zero-zero
Horny Horned One

Oddometer: 2,378
Quote:
..so conclusion is my front shock is FUCKED...
Took ya kinda long, mate... coulda told you that from yer 1st post.

Roberto.
zero-zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 08:06 AM   #4
Crackenback
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Hey rod,

I noticed some marks on the top of my front fender. I just adjusted the front fairing up a little to increase the clearance.

Try this. Take the tupperware off both sides.

Under the mirrors are two torx screws, one per side, loosen them.

Just below the seam where the side tupperware meets the front portion of the fairing are two more torx screws. Loosen them also.

Now with the front of the fairing loose lift up the nose from under the headlight and tighten the screws. There seems to be a lot of play built in. It did the trick for me.

BTW. When I had the nose off the bike to check on the headlight wiring, I'll be upgrading the stock wiring and adding a relay to kill the fog on high beam, I noticed that there are two threaded studs that pass through the fairing frame. I don't remember if their off the back of the headlight or off the fairing shell, but they pass through a collared washer and a rubber grommet. It looks as if there should be a fender washer and a nut to secure it but on mine the washer and nut are MIA. I looked at the parts fisch and could not find the washer or nut. At first I thought it might just be used like a giude pin, but why is it threaded? When I go in there to upgrade the wiring i'll put a washer and lock nut on it.
Crackenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 04:04 PM   #5
Rod OP
Wacko Ocker

Quote:
Originally posted by Crackenback
Hey rod,

I noticed some marks on the top of my front fender. I just adjusted the front fairing up a little to increase the clearance.

Try this. Take the tupperware off both sides.

Under the mirrors are two torx screws, one per side, loosen them.

Just below the seam where the side tupperware meets the front portion of the fairing are two more torx screws. Loosen them also.

Now with the front of the fairing loose lift up the nose from under the headlight and tighten the screws. There seems to be a lot of play built in. It did the trick for me.

BTW. When I had the nose off the bike to check on the headlight wiring, I'll be upgrading the stock wiring and adding a relay to kill the fog on high beam, I noticed that there are two threaded studs that pass through the fairing frame. I don't remember if their off the back of the headlight or off the fairing shell, but they pass through a collared washer and a rubber grommet. It looks as if there should be a fender washer and a nut to secure it but on mine the washer and nut are MIA. I looked at the parts fisch and could not find the washer or nut. At first I thought it might just be used like a giude pin, but why is it threaded? When I go in there to upgrade the wiring i'll put a washer and lock nut on it.
good info thanks ..will look at this when at dealer tomorrow

07 DLK V-strom
Ducati 750SS
'Be who you are and say what you feel...Because those that matter... don't mind...And those that mind... don't matter.'
"to succed at the island you must be comfortable in the knowleged that you may leave in a pine box" Joey Dunlop ..RIP
www.Austouring.com
Old 06-12-2002, 04:06 PM   #6
Rod OP
Wacko Ocker

Re: Moving to RS

Quote:
Originally posted by Haynes
Does this mean you'll have to migrate to another Bulletin Board?
I don't think Cookie will be as comfortable on the back of an RS.
Why not fix the RT? It'll be good for at least another 60,000km.
yes I would rather fix the RT ...(I stand too loose money) ...BUT I have never been happy with the way the brakes work over bumby roads

07 DLK V-strom
Ducati 750SS
www.Austouring.com
Old 06-13-2002, 11:56 AM   #7
Adam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Re: Re: Moving to RS

Quote:
Originally posted by Rod

yes I would rather fix the RT ...(I stand too loose money) ...BUT I have never been happy with the way the brakes work over bumby roads
Don't - buy a RS or GS for those roads you don't want to take the ship on....
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 12:42 PM   #8
Dutchman
Diskussionsleiter

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally posted by Crackenback

.................I noticed that there are two threaded studs that pass through the fairing frame. I don't remember if their off the back of the headlight or off the fairing shell, but they pass through a collared washer and a rubber grommet. It looks as if there should be a fender washer and a nut to secure it but on mine the washer and nut are MIA. I looked at the parts fisch and could not find the washer or nut. At first I thought it might just be used like a giude pin, but why is it threaded? When I go in there to upgrade the wiring i'll put a washer and lock nut on it.
I learned the hard way, that these threaded studs are indeed just locating pins.......................

On my first 1100RT, some 6 years ago, I noticed these little devils......thought nuts & washers had come off, so duly fitted nylok nuts and washers to both vacant studs.

A good while later, my dealer had cause to remove the nose panel 'cos there was a paint problem, and it took him OVER AN HOUR to figure out why it would not budge, despite having undone ALL the nuts.................!

At £50.00+ per hour labour, it's a hard lesson to learn.........

DUTCHMAN

Dutchblog
Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 01:02 PM   #9
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,727
Re: Re: Moving to RS

Quote:
Originally posted by Rod

those must be some real bumpy roads

why don't you get the GS?

"If you like your health care plan, you can keep it," - President Barack Obama
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 03:33 PM   #10
Rod OP
Wacko Ocker

Eek I guess the piont is

my old 1100Rt never had any issue with these bumbs .....and the 1150RT does because of it's "NEW" ABS
The GS would be very good if I didn't have to do my 1000k a week commute to Sydney
The RS I'm looking at swaping with does not have ABS

07 DLK V-strom
Ducati 750SS
www.Austouring.com
Old 06-14-2002, 12:34 AM   #11
palouis
His Assholiness

Oddometer: 97
Laugh

Hey Rod,
another example of Aussie genetic superiority - no one esle could ride a bike like that, whilst hung underneath using a whiteboard marker ...

Seriously - as you know my leg weighs more that you and I've taken Bluey over some might rough dirt roads and I've never bottomed the front. Ipso facto IMHO Shock= V¯ 'd

P
__________________________________________________ ______________
Be Like the Twenty-Second Elephant with Heated Value in Space - Bark!
palouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 12:41 AM   #12
Rod OP
Wacko Ocker

Quote:
Originally posted by palouis
Hey Rod,
another example of Aussie genetic superiority - no one esle could ride a bike like that, whilst hung underneath using a whiteboard marker ...

Seriously - as you know my leg weighs more that you and I've taken Bluey over some might rough dirt roads and I've never bottomed the front. Ipso facto IMHO Shock= V¯ 'd

P
yep I agree Have order Ohlins front...4 to 6 week wait..UMMM
anyway I have spoken to the dealer and I MIGHT do a deal on a demo RS: 5000K's 02 model so it comes with 2year unlimited warrenty..heated grip's,panier's and I can swap ALL my good stuff over onto it..clean swap I only have to pay stamp duty on rego....but the RS are only worth..what do ya reckon ....um $ 100
so if the Cook in comfortable I will more than likey to the deal ,,now how can I mount a radio.....
HEY Fish can we start a new forum........FUCKEN FAST RS

07 DLK V-strom
Ducati 750SS
www.Austouring.com