Oddometer: 765
airpump and patch kit
jessehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:52 PM   #32
Singletrack_mind
Cave Man

Oddometer: 362
tire change

quoth foobar: "I'll be giving all my wheel/tire tools a workout this weekend as I install a pair of TKC80s. My goal is to only use the tools I plan to carry with me. I haven't changed a non-bicycle tire/tube since college - don't ask how long that's been. Should be entertaining!"

Let us know how this goes. I've been wondering just how hard these tires will be to change without a tire machine. Like you, I've hardly even looked at a tubed tire since my vintage bike days.
Singletrack_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:53 PM   #33
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,461
I've found TKC's to be pretty easy to mount on other bikes. They've got a nice sidewall and the wide rims should help too...
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:10 PM   #34
]I)Money
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack_mind
quoth foobar: "I'll be giving all my wheel/tire tools a workout this weekend as I install a pair of TKC80s. My goal is to only use the tools I plan to carry with me. I haven't changed a non-bicycle tire/tube since college - don't ask how long that's been. Should be entertaining!"

Let us know how this goes. I've been wondering just how hard these tires will be to change without a tire machine. Like you, I've hardly even looked at a tubed tire since my vintage bike days.
I felt that the TKC's were easier going on than the 'wings came off.

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:19 AM   #35
foobar
I remain calm

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack_mind
You got it. I started last night with the rear. The wing is putting up a fight getting the last edge over the rim. I'm drinking strong coffee this morning, preparing for battle. I'll let you know how it goes and to stay true to this thread, all the tools I used (right now looking like I need a BFH!).
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:08 AM   #36
bubwould
Redneck Hippie

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by foobar
You got it. I started last night with the rear. The wing is putting up a fight getting the last edge over the rim. I'm drinking strong coffee this morning, preparing for battle. I'll let you know how it goes and to stay true to this thread, all the tools I used (right now looking like I need a BFH!).
The thing that seems to help the most is a nice coat of WD-40 around the bead, slips right on then. When changing tubes out on the trail/road, it is much easier because the tire is warm and pliable.
bubwould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:20 AM   #37
bubwould
Redneck Hippie

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
So, here's what we've got so far:

Inner tubes (Dieselboy)
Spokes (ericb67)
Brake & gear change pedals (jessehere)
Chain links (Bucko)
Antenna ring (spoof)
Brake & clutch levers (nessuno)
Bulbs (nessuno)
Oil filter (nessuno)
Whiskey (One Eye Mike)

Anything else to add?
21 inch tube, fits both ends

Uhhh.... forgive my ignorance, what is an antenna ring?
bubwould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:59 PM   #38
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
JR,, thanks for the heads up. I must be leading a charmed life because I have never encountered a master link incompatibility between chains of the same type (but different manufacturers). Good catch.
It must be that good clean living you do eh?

I was NEVER been able to swap master links across my several brands of chain ... so ... have been "reducing chain diversity" in my garage

Jim
JRWooden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:56 PM   #39
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubwould
The thing that seems to help the most is a nice coat of WD-40 around the bead, slips right on then. When changing tubes out on the trail/road, it is much easier because the tire is warm and pliable.
Yikes!

I'll use a little soapy water on the sticky spots, and sometimes even the lightest coat of tire grease, but never full on WD-40.

That's like begging for a ripped valve stem...
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:27 PM   #40
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

I've used WD-40. It actually worked very well! I typically use windex, it's slippery and evaporates completely.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:31 PM   #41
Nemesis
just ride the damn thing

Oddometer: 420
WD-40 works fine, very well in fact. In Helge Pedersen's R1150GS video it's used as the tire removal and installation lube.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats " - H. L. Mencken
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:41 AM   #42
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubwould
21 inch tube, fits both ends

Uhhh.... forgive my ignorance, what is an antenna ring?
The thing that you cannot install while on the trail, and talks to the key so makes the bike worthless if it fails.

However .... the bike is worthless if stolen, reducing the posibility of theft.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:46 AM   #43
foobar
I remain calm

Oddometer: 20
Tools for F800GS Wheel/Tire Removal

For those interested, I swapped my Battlewings for TKC80s yesterday. Here's a list of all the tools I used (with a question to the experts):

E12 - F Brake Caliper
T30 - F ABS Sensor, R Speed Sensor
T45 - F Axle Clamps
17MM - F Axle Screw
24MM - R Axle Nut
13MM - R Chain Tensioners
12MM - Valve Stem Nut (multi-tool would work fine here)

...OR just carry a couple different sizes of Vice Grips!

Also...Beak Brakr from BestRest - includes Tire Irons, Rim Protectors (need 'em but even with 'em I managed to ding my rim), Valve Stem removal, Bead Goop (you REALLY, REALLY need goop)
Floor Jack - Front Wheel removal.

QUESTION: what do folks use in the field to get the front end off of the ground? (I have the center stand which makes rear removal a cinch but used the floor jack for the front.)

I don't want to bore everyone with all the gruesome details of my adventures but in a nutshell:

- Wheel removal/installation - EASY
- Tire Removal/Installation - HARD. REALLY HARD (this was full tire removal; opening up one side for tube removal/repair would be easier).

I've read all the various tire removal threads, etc, and paid attention to the debates over brute strength vs technique. Clearly technique is important but I found that in at least one instance (getting the second edge of tire off of rim) I had to resort to force heavily seasoned with a LOT of swearing.

My verdict: everyone should practice removing both wheels and removing/replacing the tube in your garage so you're ready for basic tire maint in the field. Personally however, unless I'm in a particularly masochistic frame of mind, I'm going to puss out and use a shop to mount new tires. It's one of those things that's good to know how to do but, unless there's no other option, it's better left to someone with the tools/knowledge. I'm just sayin'...
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:18 AM   #44
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

rear tire removal

You should be able to remove the rear wheel without having to reset chain tension every time, no? Pull the adjuster block off one side and knock the axle out the far side enough to slide the axle forward. Other bikes I have there's enough slack by the time the axle hits the adjuster screw that you can slip the chain off. (It took me a few times to figure that out mind you...)
Old 02-08-2009, 09:38 AM   #45
MonsterJ
I have motopsychosis

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by foobar
QUESTION: what do folks use in the field to get the front end off of the ground? (I have the center stand which makes rear removal a cinch but used the floor jack for the front.)
kkug had a great idea here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428807

I'm gonna whittle me one up soon.

Temple, TX -> Cape May, NJ -> Mobile, AL -> ECity, NC -> Kodiak, AK -> Mobile, AL -> Sacto, CA -> Cape Cod, MA -> New London, CT -> San Francisco, CA -> Juneau, AK (summer of '13) -> where to next?
MonsterJ is offline   Reply With Quote