Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2004, 01:23 PM   #1
AntWare OP
Lost In Translation

Oddometer: 16,483
Exhaust Options

Whose running what?

I'd like to get rid of the cats so I can remove the rest of the plumbing, I like the workmanship that goes into the Akra's but they're way too proud of them.

What's your take on the other stuff? Are FMF making a system yet?

Thanks
stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth.
Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home,
nothing more than an embarrasment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself.
Choose your future. Choose life.
I chose not to choose life, I chose something else instead.
AntWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 01:41 PM   #2
oldkrank
Not to be confused

Oddometer: 39
Aluminium Option

Another option is the KTM aluminium system. Unlike the AKs which only include the cans, this option includes a new cross over section and cost about 300-400 USD less. They sound about the same as stock, are much smaller, lighter and seem to pep up the bike. Have not seen a dyno comparison to see how they stack up on a scientific basis.
oldkrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 02:37 PM   #3
motozilla
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,723
I love my Remus slip ons and they are quite a bit cheaper than the Akras.

We're selling them for $700.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:13 PM   #4
kirkmoon
Making up for lost youth

Oddometer: 8,909
The Akras are wonderful. Love the sound. Look good. Well made. I'm a happy camper.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:27 PM   #5
arroyoshark
Needing some space

Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by motozilla
I love my Remus slip ons and they are quite a bit cheaper than the Akras.

We're selling them for $700.
What folks have said on this forum about the Remus Revolution cans has piqued my interest. They look nice on the bike. Can you describe what I have to purchase, or what comes with the Remus system for the KTM? Is there any issue with the mounting bolt pattern,or such? Is the $700 system alum., carbon or Tit.?

Also, saw a pic of the screen installed in pipe for spark arrestor. Is it NFS approved? Does it increase back pressure/reduce performance? It looked kind of restrictive. And lastly, can these go on as a stock system replacement...or do I have to rejet, retune, etc.? Most of my riding is above 5,000 ft. elevation.

Sorry for he 21 question drill, but have no place to go look at them in NM.
arroyoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 04:07 PM   #6
AntWare OP
Lost In Translation

How about seat of the pants feel, do they free the bike up any. Mines stock at the moment and has a noticable flat spot in the mid range and seems slightly strangled a little below and above that.

I did the first service late yesterday, I'll change the needle settings and button her back up tonight, see if that helps any.

Thanks for the info so far fellas.
Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home,
nothing more than an embarrasment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:26 PM   #7
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
Antware, if you ping FMF with some questions, I would love to hear the results. I am pretty impressed with the just how quiet their FMF Q dirtbike systems are, all well making as much or more power then louder examples.

If you did not catch it, Check Flannys post, Flanny had the KTM alloy system fitted, he swaped sides and orientation (IIRC) much nicer install this way (IMHO) still he found them a tad loud.

I support my local dealer on most KTM items, but these larger purchases can rack up quite a sales tax. To that end you you might try the get a quote feature of KTMtalk.com, for any KTM branded silencers, between the possible 10 to 15% discount, and lack of sales tax......

I do not know if you have a good dyno shop in that concrete jungle, but I have had really good luck with final jetting via EGA on a dyno. (AF1 Racing, Austin, TX. $100 three single pipe runs.)

Congrats on the new bike, it looks great! What next? You planning on becoming an Arsenal fan!

Cheers, Mack
Old 05-24-2004, 04:40 PM   #8
AntWare OP
Lost In Translation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
What next? You planning on becoming an Arsenal fan!

Cheers, Mack
A man can only swallow so much pride

Thanks for the pointers Mack, I'll check Flanny's posts. My dealer has the KTM pipes on his, so I can check those out, and I think he's having his stock pipes gutted and re-welded just to see what that does for them.

Like Kirkmoon said, I think the Akra's are top notch but look to be selling for close to a grand a set, I think that's a bit much for a couple of slip-ons.

The only dyno I know I can buy time on is at a used bike shop that has a couple of punks in the back that get their rocks off by bouncing other peoples bikes off the rev limiter...I'll try getting it close myself and take it from there if needs be.

I think stock it's so restricted and jetted lean, that a couple of DIY mods might liven it up quite a bit, seems to have worked for others here, so I'll try that road first.

You fella's have anything planned for Memorial Day weekend?
Old 05-24-2004, 05:43 PM   #9
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
I too would think the Sommer airbox mod, and jetting changes would cure most of the EPA ills, but man those cat/silencers run hot, especially for Texas use. I love the idea of gutting the OEM cannisters, though I have to admit that is so often a task that is VERY hard to get right. If you feel the need for a dyno run, AF1 seems to be a pretty good shop, Ed allowed me to do all my own wrenching/changes between runs. I plan to have them jet both the Keihin FCR carbs on my LC4s.

When do you plan to baptise that 950 down Mexico way?

I know cages are a bore for you, but... A SFO buddy of mine just bought a 911 Carrera S4 to replace his Z3 M Coupe. I might head out to that way Memorial day weekend, to take one or both for a thrashing, and tour Scuderia West, etc. (Yes he is a prick! Actually he is a really nice guy, and a GS owner to boot, but his stable of cars has him nominated for the prick of the year award in my book. Funny, his vehicles cost more then the sailboat, that he and his wife call home!)

Irondawg, has picked up a DR350 that he is prepping for Baja, and he and a friend, are working hard, to ready a RZ250 for vintage racing as well. Mack
Old 05-24-2004, 08:31 PM   #10
kirkmoon
Making up for lost youth

Oddometer: 8,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Ware
How about seat of the pants feel, do they free the bike up any. Mines stock at the moment and has a noticable flat spot in the mid range and seems slightly strangled a little below and above that.

I did the first service late yesterday, I'll change the needle settings and button her back up tonight, see if that helps any.

Thanks for the info so far fellas.
With the Akras on the bike, the Sommer airbox mod, the carb adjust and taking out the EPC there is a fairly dramatic increase in power and torque. I am pretty sure that I can even feel a significant increase in power when I take the sound baffles out of the back of the Akras vs. having them in.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:06 PM   #11
Shuffler
Getting a grip...

Oddometer: 1,642
Kirk, did you yank the canister & secondary air systems as well?
KTM 950A | KTM 300XCW | BMW R1100RT
Shuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 10:09 AM   #12
motozilla
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkmoon
With the Akras on the bike, the Sommer airbox mod, the carb adjust and taking out the EPC there is a fairly dramatic increase in power and torque. I am pretty sure that I can even feel a significant increase in power when I take the sound baffles out of the back of the Akras vs. having them in.

Same here with the Remus system and the Factory jet kit. The only thing I have to eliminate now is the popping on decel and I'm hoping Katoum's blanking plates with cure that.

Otherwise it feels realy strong and It's faster than the other (stock) KTMs I ride with even though one has a 16t sprocket.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:11 PM   #13
Greg Minor
The Trespasser

Oddometer: 2,322
Anyone find a set of cans with a spark arrestor yet I live in SoCa and I would hate to start another fire Most of the area is burnt as it is.
2003 Ducati Multistrada
2001 Honda XR 400
1988 C&J Honda 625
1970 Honda SL 100 (green)
Greg Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 08:17 PM   #14
motozilla
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Minor
Anyone find a set of cans with a spark arrestor yet I live in SoCa and I would hate to start another fire Most of the area is burnt as it is.

Doesn't FMF have one?
Old 05-25-2004, 09:06 PM   #15
Wayne Weber
why are we stopping?

Oddometer: 3,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by motozilla
Doesn't FMF have one?
No, they seem to think the volume of sales isn't there. I custom mounted a set of FMF Q's and it's fan-tastic. Keep pestering FMF. I'd send a pic of mine to them but they won't accept attachments on email. Freaks!

It's a good fit for the bike though. Someone somewhere needs to make a USFS SA for this bike.

04 KTM 950 S
93 KTM 550
93 XT225 Adventure Serow!
00 Weber Rally Twin (www.rallytwin.com)
Gas Gas 270
2 Waterbuffalo's (Sold!)
Wayne Weber is offline   Reply With Quote