Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #211
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmSC View Post
I dont like either of them as it relates to styling but then again I actually like my vstrom . I just don't think the shaft is a selling point on that bike. With that engine pushing that weight I think a chain would be better...ctx wins that fight imho. As far as parts bin...win again for the ctx. I'm thinking that parts will be hard to find on the dino the ctx shouldn't have that problem. A friend of mine has a rune and even tires can be difficult for him. No thanks.
I get what you're saying regarding the shaft robbing horsepower, but the DN-01 will be bought by people who want a bike that stands out from the crowd yet is turn-key reliable. So the shaft will be a plus. The CTX will sell a ton most likely, just like the Ford Pinto did in its day. And will be just as forgettable.
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:31 AM   #212
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,220
Stopped by my local Honda dealer yesterday. He sold his last DN-01 a couple of weeks ago. Said he got around 10,000 for it. Who knows. It's still on his website which they don't update very often.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #213
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,629
The DN-01 is a science fiction motorcycle, both in looks and mechanical operation. It's like those futuristic "prototypes" that manufacturers build for shows, but never build. Only they actually built this one. The Rune is the same thing. They both cost way more than they are worth, mostly because of all the research and development time, and the cost of the tooling to manufacture it. The Rune was never meany to be a big seller, it was a design exercise, proof of what Honda could do. It was their corporate masthead. The DN-01 was/is probably the same thing. It is pointless to discuss it as a reasonable, practical, or even fun motorcycle (at least for those that like sport bikes and dirt bikes). It obviously cannot compete with a maxi scooter at twice the price. It is not a rational bike, and cannot be argued about as one. It has no competition. It is not a mass market bike. It will never be on anyone's "shopping list" The few that are sold will buy it because they want IT, and nothing else will do. Just like a certain American concept bike that may or may not ever make it to market, there is no way, other than purely emotional, to justify it's ridiculous price.

As for automatic motorcycles, I don't think they are such a bad idea, as long as there are still plenty of manual shift bikes available. I don't see an automatic bike as an enthusiast's bike, but they can still be fun. I own 2 125cc scooters, and they are fun to ride, but my manual shift 2 stroke Stella is 10 times more fun. Which one I take depends on where I'm going, what I'm doing, and how I feel. It takes far more effort to ride the Stella, even more than a manual shift motorcycle. It does not have nice smooth shifting like most modern motorcycles. I take it when I'm in the mood for a real workout, and am mainly riding shorter distances for fun. For dealing with stop and go traffic, especially 20 miles of it, an automatic is the way to go.

Cars are the same way. I have 2 vintage cars with four speeds. They are a blast to "drive", as in out of heavy traffic. If I am expecting heavy traffic, I take my '01 Chevy automatic. It even has A/C.

I was seriously considering the CTX700DCT, unfortunately it has ABS, and I will not ride a bike with ABS. I'm also one of those who believe that the rider should have full control over the bike, and that does include shifting. But, I am developing severe arthritis and fibromyalgia, and the fact is, shifting and clutching hurts like hell. That's why I take the CVT scooters if I am expecting to be doing a lot of it. It's obviously not a big deal on the highway, which is mostly where I ride.

So anyway, while the DN-01 was obviously a sales flop (Honda can afford it), they apparently see merit in the automatic transmission. It is now available on the CTX700, NC700, and even the VFR1200. That's quite amazing actually. A SPORT bike with an automatic. On the Goldwing forums, everybody is asking for an automatic. Of course, they are also asking for a factory built trike. Eventually they will want a roof, side windows, and A/C.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #214
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
they apparently see merit in the automatic transmission. It is now available on the CTX700, NC700, and even the VFR1200.
DN-01 had a CVT whereas the CTX700, NC700 and VFR1200F has a DCT automated manual transmission. Two different types of "automatic" transmissions. CVT is a shitty concept on a motorcycle and Honda proved that with the DN-01. da Vinci thought about CVT 500 years ago.
GoonerYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #215
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoonerYoda View Post
DN-01 had a CVT whereas the CTX700, NC700 and VFR1200F has a DCT automated manual transmission. Two different types of "automatic" transmissions. CVT is a shitty concept on a motorcycle and Honda proved that with the DN-01. da Vinci thought about CVT 500 years ago.
All modern scooters are CVT, and they are becoming popular in small cars. The biggest disadvantage I can see to one on a small scooter is that they lack much range between top gear ratio and bottom gear ratio. My 125cc scooter bogs on hills that a 50cc motorcycle with a manual transmission has no problems with. They also require frequent belt replacement on scooters. I was sure I read that the DN-01 had a hydraulic transmission.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote