Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2009, 03:20 PM   #31
Jellyrug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Another one year model, which will become a collectors item for sure!
Old 01-28-2009, 03:28 PM   #32
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
I'm revising my prediction...
Still over priced for the US market. However, it will be a decent seller in Europe and Asia. Honda will keep selling it there, but pull it from the US market after a couple years. Then a bunch of the various people here on ADVrider will bitch about not being to buy one in the US.
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:01 PM   #33
SportFaller OP
Dirt dont hurt, MUCH

Oddometer: 668
If you want an automatic (well, semi-automatic), what about the Yamaha FJR 1300AE, push button shifting? I think the mechanical idea isn't bad, but the execution and design are a little off. Put the same guts in something like this...

Just my .02
SportFaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:08 PM   #34
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
I actually respect Honda for bringing things like this and the Rune into production. It shows they still have balls. Just 'cause it's not your cup-o-tea does not mean it is shit.

Anyway, while it does not interest me as a buyer, I do think it looks better than alot of bike I see US ride... KLR's, VStroms, and even the sought after new Varaderos come to mind. See what I mean? Different strokes for different folks...

By the way, this bike is old news.
The Rune was/is shit... they sold like Edsels... there are several on Ebay all the time, 5 years old, new, no miles. They should have called it The "Ruin" because that's what they did to the Valk. They should have made it a "naked" Gold Wing and it would have sold like a SOB!!!
Old 01-28-2009, 04:17 PM   #35
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto
.........It's like sitting on the "Bike of the Future" from the 80's. ........

It's probably meant more for the JDM market, silly lowrider scooters have been big over there for awhile. Honda did bring a 250cc lowrider over in the late 80's and it pretty much bombed.
Dilligaf0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:50 PM   #36
bootzilla
Blah Blah, Woof Woof

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodisiac
I just don't see a point of this bike. if someone wants automatic, they will buy a scooter at 1/2 price, if someone wants a bike that will handle they will buy real bike.
+1. And if someone wants a bike that has the ergos of a cruiser, they are probably more interested in steel and chrome than they are in strange-looking plastic bodywork.

From the Rider Magazine review: "Honda’s marketing say the DN-01 is aimed at techno early adopters who aren’t motorcyclists, an alleged species that buys stuff because it’s technically interesting, and buys it straight away to be different."

They went on to bring up a good point - to get their license, these non-motorcyclists have to take a course and learn to shift anyway, kinda defeats the purpose of a spontaneous $15k purchase because the bike is an easy-to-ride automatic....

Seems like Honda has provided the answer to a question nobody asked...

5 Different Nachos
bootzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:10 PM   #37
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220

It's probably meant more for the JDM market, silly lowrider scooters have been big over there for awhile. Honda did bring a 250cc lowrider over in the late 80's and it pretty much bombed.
You're wrong on multiple counts...
The picture is a custom built version of one of the bikes from the massively popular Akira comic book and movie from the 1980's. One of the touchstones of cyberpunk and one of the first manga works to find a big audience in the US.

As for Honda's lowrider 250, I guess you're referring to the Helix. It might've been silly to you, but it was far from being a "bomb" seeing how it last 15 years. It was introduced in the US in 1986 and sold here until 2001 when it was replaced by the sort-of-similar Reflex. It has a real following here in the US (and a giant one in Japan).

approachbears screwed with this post 01-28-2009 at 05:12 PM Reason: ooops...
Old 01-28-2009, 06:01 PM   #38
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by approachbears
You're wrong on multiple counts...
The picture is a custom built version of one of the bikes from the massively popular Akira comic book......blah blah......
You apparently missed the quote about "bike of the future from the 80's"
Yes I know what that scooter is a copy of.

Quote:
As for Honda's lowrider 250, I guess you're referring to the Helix. It might've been silly to you....
Two tone candy paint with plenty of flake, wire wheels and 1000amp sound systems with an attached XBox to me is silly, and appears to be the market the DN-01 is trying to tap into.

Quote:
but it was far from being a "bomb" seeing how it last 15 years. It was introduced in the US in 1986 and sold here until 2001 when it was replaced by the sort-of-similar Reflex. It has a real following here in the US (and a giant one in Japan).
I've seen exactly one outside of a dealer showroom, but plenty of Silverwings and other maxi scooters. I wouldn't exactly call them a success in North America, no matter how much you like them.
Dilligaf0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:34 PM   #39
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,895
Well, it's unusual looking but it really ain't any uglier than my V-Strom.

I'd say it's a bit pricey though.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:58 PM   #40
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220
I've seen exactly one outside of a dealer showroom, but plenty of Silverwings and other maxi scooters. I wouldn't exactly call them a success in North America, no matter how much you like them.
Your not seeing many is not too surprising since they haven't been made for 8 years and the Silverwing has been since the recent uptick in scooter interest. Clearly you don't like flake paint, but, taste aside, why deny the fact that a 15 year production run is a success in the 2 wheel world? That's longer unchanged than the Super Cub during its heyday. If Honda is able to pump out the DN-01 more or less unchanged for the next fifteen years then we have to call it a true success even if the shark nose looks odd.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:12 PM   #41
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Regardless of how it looks (always debatable) it's how it goes that it has earned it some of the worst reviews ever in the European press.

The Italian magazine Motociclismo, which is awesome and generally VERY restrained when passing judgment in reviews, called it "the most useless motorcycle in history," saying that it failed as a cruiser, had none of the practical uses of a scooter, and plain sucked as a "sporty" bike because the engine is massively wimpy and underpowered for this huge chunk. They said that even the finish was well below what's normal for Honda. And then, of course, there's the price.

They did, however, say that the automatic transmission works very well.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:26 PM   #42
Willy G
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
I like it, Way to pricey for me though.
I like this too.

If I were to get a scooter this would be it.

It was just comfortable.
Willy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:48 PM   #43
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,851
I could see it selling to some of the well-heeled who would otherwise be scooter buyers except for the stigma attached to same. I would think $9-10K would be a more realistic price point given that 500cc scooters are in the 6-8K range (including the very unique MP3.) For anywhere remotely near 16K it needs a 1000cc 4-cylinder and every conceivable heated, motorized gadget (a better mount for airbags than the big wing IMO)

I predict you'll be able to buy a dusty, zero-miles 09 for 10 or 11K in about two years.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:52 PM   #44
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro
It's not uglier than this.

Actually, I think it is. I don't much care for the Vision, but it does look better in person than in the pictures. The opposite is true for the DN. Just my opinion, YMMV.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:46 AM   #45
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,363
Honda's lost the plot.
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote