Oddometer: 6,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus
I did manage to find a remarkably boring video about it

Looks like something from a low budget scifi future world flick

&nbsp
&nbsp
[IMG]file:///C:/Users/pam/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-9.jpg[/IMG]
Human friendly transmission? Honda, what are you doing? It looks like the Honda Accord is more of a priority.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:53 AM   #47
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
and you may not like it. But I bet it sells well if released. There are a lot of young people out there that want to get into riding but do not want Dirt bikes, Sport bikes, or a Cruiser.

This will be a winner for Honda.
It'll be a big flop.

If Honda had priced it to be competitive with the Burgman 650 and Silverwing you might be right. Or if Honda had put a 1,000cc V-twin in the bike you might be right. But Honda decided to use the 680cc Deauville motor to push this nearly 600 lb beast, then put a $15K price tag on it. So you end up with a bike that offers performance no better than a 650cc scooter, but has none of the conveniences.

I had a test bike for a week, you can read about it here
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:15 AM   #48
Cos
Re-Greekified

Oddometer: 10,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider
It'll be a big flop.

If Honda had priced it to be competitive with the Burgman 650 and Silverwing you might be right. Or if Honda had put a 1,000cc V-twin in the bike you might be right. But Honda decided to use the 680cc Deauville motor to push this nearly 600 lb beast, then put a $15K price tag on it. So you end up with a bike that offers performance no better than a 650cc scooter, but has none of the conveniences.

I had a test bike for a week, you can read about it here

My GM was hoping for Transalp, CBR125, something we could actually sell...he looked kinda homicidal when he found out about the DN-01
Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:00 PM   #49
HornHonker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
I actually respect Honda for bringing things like this and the Rune into production. It shows they still have balls. Just 'cause it's not your cup-o-tea does not mean it is shit.

Anyway, while it does not interest me as a buyer, I do think it looks better than alot of bike I see US ride... KLR's, VStroms, and even the sought after new Varaderos come to mind. See what I mean? Different strokes for different folks...

By the way, this bike is old news.
They had balls when they produced the RC30, RC45, CBR250RR.... bikes for riders, not poser stuff like the Fury and Rune.
HornHonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:34 PM   #50
Jody H
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
If you want a automatic transmission motorcycle (with the option to shift) with style and plenty of power (850cc V-twin, 76hp - 54 ft# torque) as well as scooter like conveniences (a "trunk" large enough to hold a full face helmet) look at the Aprilia Mana.
I bought one and it's damn near the ultimate commuter bike.

'09 Aprilia Mana
Jody H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:27 PM   #51
Kbetts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,259
Hey,
Isn't that thing supposed to be a hybrid? Quite a while back I read that they were sticking an electric motor and battery on it. What happened? Did Honda chicken out of building the first hybrid motorcycle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
Hey, this is ADVrider, where facts are not real important.
Kbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:47 PM   #52
Monkey_Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,469
Clearly, they ripped off a shark!

As Rodney Dangerfield said, "Oh, but it looks good on you, though."
Monkey_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:17 PM   #53
twinrider
pass the catnip

I like the DN-01's looks. I just found it woefully underpowered and utterly impractical. No bungee hooks for luggage, can't use a tank bag due to the handlebar sweep. No wind protection. No center stand. Tough to see the instrument panel while seated if you're taller than 5'10." The mirrors (not electric like the Burgman Exec) stick way out, making it tough to lane split. And the "Human Friendly Transmission" has extremely conservative downshift limits, meaning you can't do things like knock it down from 2nd to 1st at a lowly 2,000 rpms when you're trying to power out of a corner.
2006 Djebel 250XC

twinrider screwed with this post 01-29-2009 at 05:23 PM
Old 01-29-2009, 05:23 PM   #54
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbetts
Hey,
Isn't that thing supposed to be a hybrid? Quite a while back I read that they were sticking an electric motor and battery on it. What happened? Did Honda chicken out of building the first hybrid motorcycle?
I dunno about the hybrid bit, but it was clearly a bean-counter triumph as they lifted the powertrain straight out of the Deauville (which costs nearly 3,000 quid less in the UK despite its panniers, centerstand, fairing, etc).
2006 Djebel 250XC
Old 01-30-2009, 11:32 AM   #55
apeirce
So I was following Andrew

Oddometer: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
and you may not like it. But I bet it sells well if released. There are a lot of young people out there that want to get into riding but do not want Dirt bikes, Sport bikes, or a Cruiser.

This will be a winner for Honda.
Yoo hoo $15,000.

Honda is fucking high.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:37 PM   #56
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeirce
Yoo hoo $15,000.

Honda is fucking high.
Wow, that is really high, especially considering that over here they ask 'only' 16,900 Australian Dollars.
I think Honda decided that since this bike has no qualities that would appeal to any existing group of riders, they will try to sell it as an expensive toy since rarity factor is the only thing remaining in its favour.
Jay Leno might buy one.
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:51 PM   #57
Motorcyclist
Drag a Bag!

Oddometer: 3,375
I agree this bike will be a flop on all fronts, and I am scratching my head wondering WTF is Honda thinking lately? The only out would be if they were playing with an auto transmission to do R&D for a automatic Goldwing. That might make some sense, but I don't see how the two powertrains are similar. So I go back to wondering WTF is Honda thinking?

A friend of mine was in a Honda shop the other day, and even the dealer was making fun of the bike. He was telling my buddy that his fellow dealers have decided DN-01 stands for "Did Not Order One"
Motorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:31 PM   #58
street tracker
High, wide, and handsome

Oddometer: 1,450
Know what DN-01 stands for?

Do
Not
Order

http://www.gearheadsgarage.com
street tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:20 AM   #59
wbrisett
hmmm....

Oddometer: 320
I like most here seem to think it's not what the doctor ordered. But you know, it's not without precedent that Honda has gone a bit outside the main motorcycle crowd. In fact, a lot of the ideas on this bike aren't all that new they come from other disasters, erm... bikes Honda made... I give you the Hondamatic:

I give you the Pacific Coast:

Both flaming pies in the sales department. I remember walking into a dealer as late as 1992 and them having pacific coast bikes in crates still.

This bike while more 'stylish' than either of the two, will also fail to attract a crowd and go down as another dismal failure. Of course I'm not always the perfect sage, or I would have predicted my first wife wasn't the ideal person for me.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:34 AM   #60
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrisett
I give you the Pacific Coast:
Pacific Coast was the exact opposite of DN-01 - its styling had all the finesse and flair of a brick, but it was supremely useful thanks to huge storage and decent protection from elements. It was the closest a motorcycle could come to being a maxi scooter.

DN-01 is a styling exercise that some people might hate, but say what you will - a lot of effort seems to have gone into producing the look of this bike. It is however supremely useless, thanks to no storage space at all, low screen and no protection from elements. The only thing it shares with maxi scooters is the auto transmission, otherwise it is inferior to them in every way I can think of.
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote