Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2009, 04:23 AM   #61
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix
Pacific Coast was the exact opposite of DN-01 - its styling had all the finesse and flair of a brick, but it was supremely useful thanks to huge storage and decent protection from elements. It was the closest a motorcycle could come to being a maxi scooter.

DN-01 is a styling exercise that some people might hate, but say what you will - a lot of effort seems to have gone into producing the look of this bike. It is however supremely useless, thanks to no storage space at all, low screen and no protection from elements. The only thing it shares with maxi scooters is the auto transmission, otherwise it is inferior to them in every way I can think of.
Spot on...
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:41 AM   #62
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus
A picture would help
No it didn't
Rick West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:36 AM   #63
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,308
Anyone who wants a really good automatic bike has the proven Suzuki Burgman 650, Piaggio's MP3 lineup, and Yamaha T-Max as options--with all having workable storage space and darned good performance, as well as plenty of aftermarket and owner-group support.

Hey, if someone likes the DN01, great. Buy and ride what you like. I think it's cool in it's own way.

But if "no shifting" is the major draw, it's up against some proven bikes that have been in the marketplace for a while that nail all the practical points that maxi's are bought for and beat the DN01 while doing it.

The market segment consisting of experienced motorcyclists, not first-time riders, know that if they're going to give up something on one side of the pros/cons sheet, there better be something pretty good on the other side...and that experience makes for some rightfully picky riders. I'm not sure I see the balance with the DN-01.

inmated Dezzie's T-Max:

inmate Kallemax's T-Max:

MP3 500

this one has some plans...

Inmate Pete Court on the Big Burger:

Too many good bikes that beat the DN-01 in anything but the "lookee here what I got...something you don't" category.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:28 AM   #64
Spook 013
f.k.a. j0hn0tt0

Oddometer: 330
It's funny that to add salt to the wounds of uselessness, they put in the Deauville engine! I rented the newest model Deauville while I was in Italy over the summer. To get that bike to GO, you might as well push the damn thing. It had NO zippiness whatsoever. It's good if you just want to drone on the highway, I suppose, but if you need/want speed QUICKLY, it ain't happenin' with the Dullsville motor, especially on a bike this much heavier. When I got back to the States and hopped on my V-Strom, I felt like I was on a legitimate sports bike, compared to the Honda.
Spook 013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:37 PM   #65
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 40,748
Not many pics of it here.

So, I thought I'd throw up mine from the Phx Moto Show.

$15K? Is that what you are saying the price is expected to be? Wow?

I agree with those who said they are glad at least Honda is trying some new directions.
I also agree I'd take a yellow-black T-max at half the price (and more style)over this

I like this bike in some ways. But it does suffer a bit from the Japanese UltraMan school of design too.

Jurgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nskitts View Post
I'm sorry your dog died before you got to beat it with a dead chicken.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:25 PM   #66
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,199
The sad thing is, if Honda had bothered to put the VFR800 or VTR1000 motor in it no one would care if it was impractical because it'd be such a hoot to ride.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:01 PM   #67
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider
The sad thing is, if Honda had bothered to put the VFR800 or VTR1000 motor in it no one would care if it was impractical because it'd be such a hoot to ride.
Yes, if it had performance it wouldn't have to be practical - it's a well known niche and there is nothing unusual about it. The thing is, it lacks performance AND it lacks practicality... it's just crap. Although there might be a reason it doesn't use a stronger engine - perhaps this 'Human Friendly*' transmission would not cope with more power?

* as one journalist observed, "so which species did they design for until now?" :)
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:25 PM   #68
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen
$15K? Is that what you are saying the price is expected to be?
Nothing "expected" about it. Base MSRP is $14,599.

http://powersports.honda.com/2009/dn-01.aspx

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:55 PM   #69
Kicksave
wannabeema

Oddometer: 168
Thumbs down Bad Idea

I was the Sales Mgr at the largest Honda dealer in the country when the Rune came out. We had a waiting list for it. But it was a technological achievement in some ways. And it was a bold step forward for Honda, who usually plays it pretty close to the vest when it comes to style .

The Rune sold well at first, then fell flat on its face because Honda buyers spending $24,000+ are buying GoldWings or Harleys. And chopper buyers wouldn't convert. The Rune had a six cylinder 120+ hp motor and trailing link front suspension to get excited about. But it didn't have enough billet and chrome to please the American market .

I'm puzzled by the DN-01 because automatic bikes, or electric shift options haven't done well in the past. The Yamaha FJR 1300 AE jumps to mind. The Pacific Coast had a small but rabid following. We never had a problem selling them, new or used. But this DN-01 seems misguided at best .
Old 02-01-2009, 12:48 AM   #70
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicksave
I'm puzzled by the DN-01 because automatic bikes, or electric shift options haven't done well in the past .
That part doesn't puzzle me... I think we will in fact see a lot more automatic bikes in the future - they might never completely replace manual gearbox, especially on the hardcore performance models, but I think they will become a significant part of the market. Future might well belong to the automatic - just not this one.
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:49 AM   #71
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix
That part doesn't puzzle me... I think we will in fact see a lot more automatic bikes in the future - they might never completely replace manual gearbox, especially on the hardcore performance models, but I think they will become a significant part of the market. Future might well belong to the automatic - just not this one.
I agree. Paddle-shifted non-torque-convertor automatic cars are very popular with performance drivers and there is no reason they can't be very popular with performance-oriented motorcyclists. Unfortunately, nobody has done a very good job with one yet.

The Yamaha FJR-AE was a good effort but fell short. I assume it was because the system was grafted onto a bike that was never designed to have an automatic clutch. I think the first good paddle-shifted bike will need to be designed from the beginning to be paddle-shifted.

The Goldwing is begging for a car-style hydraulic torque-converter slushbox. It would be perfect for the bike. I think Honda is kicking themselves that they didn't put their automatic efforts there.

The problems with the DN-01 go much deeper than simply that its an automatic. This is probably one of the things Honda got right.

- Mark

markjenn screwed with this post 02-01-2009 at 12:08 PM
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:58 AM   #72
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
MP3 500

this one has some plans...

Too many good bikes that beat the DN-01 in anything but the "lookee here what I got...something you don't" category.
I love the Gilera Fuoco. G/F says I can't have one until I'm 60 though..
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:05 PM   #73
Cos
Re-Greekified

Oddometer: 10,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev
I love the Gilera Fuoco. G/F says I can't have one until I'm 60 though..
You're joking...i'm younger than you are and i'd love a Fuoco or MP3.

Rode the MP3 and it is a freakin hoot.
Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:59 PM   #74
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos
You're joking...i'm younger than you are and i'd love a Fuoco or MP3.

Rode the MP3 and it is a freakin hoot.
If I were still riding year-round I would have seriously considered one for the commute and daily chores. It's like a sci-fi Honda Deauville..

I've seen a couple of guys playing on them though, they do look fun.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:16 PM   #75
Jody H
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
I agree. Paddle-shifted non-torque-convertor automatic cars are very popular with performance drivers and there is no reason they can't be very popular with performance-oriented motorcyclists. Unfortunately, nobody has done a very good job with one yet.
- Mark
Aprilia Mana
850cc V-twin, 76hp - 54 ft# torque, CVT transmission with 7 speed paddle shifters or fully automatic shifting

'09 Aprilia Mana
Jody H is offline   Reply With Quote