Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2009, 05:50 PM   #166
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by careycsg
You probably know of the BMW dealer in Cabo, that might have something you need. If not, they are located on the road leaving Cabo going toTodos Santos on the left side. New store last year about this time when I was down there. No doubt there will be talk at Motoworks tomorrow during the tech session, about your adventure and you will be required to do a presentation at a Chicago region meeting whenever you return. Expecting 5-8 inches of snow tonight in Chicago. See what you are missing. Thanks for the great story and pictures.

I went there looking for some oil... the nicest looking, most worthless dealer ever. don't ever depend on this dealer to have what you need.... they didn't even have 10w40 oil for the GS and recommended I use 20w50 .
good thing I brought a filter from the states, they didn't have that either....
just sayin'

I will have to change my oil with 15-40 car oil, there's no 10-w40 motorcycle anywhere down here... I've been searching.

I'm back in La Paz, and even though I was staying in a gorgeous house on the beach, I'm glad to get out of Cabo... very expensive, so many ugly American tourists waddling around, and Mexican scam artists bothering you on every street corner. Not for me...

While I am having a great time here with Kevin and friends, I'm looking forward to getting back to camping and riding Baja solo in the dirt... I feel the most challenging part of this journey is yet to come.

Thank you for all the kind words, this has been such a great journey for me for many reasons and I'm happy to share it with everyone...

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:28 PM   #167
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,698
The definition of Adventure Motorcyling is your excellent report.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:16 PM   #168
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 7,046
I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed reading your ride report. Safe travels to you, Joe.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:05 PM   #169
Dingsbums
Dingsbums

Oddometer: 15
Joe, great RR and excellent pictures.
Do you recall where you purchased the D90 storage container?
Dingsbums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:09 AM   #170
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Tomorrow...
I'm heading out around noon armed a large fishing pole, planning on camping and fishing on both coasts, cris-crossing Baja while going in a slight northerly direction. I have Sterlings Track to help me, but I'm just going to have to explore these dirt roads to get to the coasts. I've been researching on google earth, trying to find roads that go though.... it should be fun.
I'm bringing some tortilla's, rice, beans, some fruit, and enough water and gas for 4 days. If I can catch some fish, I should eat like a king!
I obviously wont have any service to update, but will be trackable via my SPOT LINK

See Ya!

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 02-23-2009 at 01:15 AM
Old 02-23-2009, 01:22 AM   #171
rawdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
I've been following your RR since the beginning. Thanks for living my dream this winter! I admire you for getting around so much. Good luck on the next few days; should be a blast.
rawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:54 AM   #172
Dead Eye Dan
Questionable Reputation

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown
Tomorrow...
I'm heading out around noon armed a large fishing pole, planning on camping and fishing on both coasts, cris-crossing Baja while going in a slight northerly direction. I have Sterlings Track to help me, but I'm just going to have to explore these dirt roads to get to the coasts. I've been researching on google earth, trying to find roads that go though.... it should be fun.
I'm bringing some tortilla's, rice, beans, some fruit, and enough water and gas for 4 days. If I can catch some fish, I should eat like a king!
I obviously wont have any service to update, but will be trackable via my SPOT LINK

See Ya!
We'll be following along.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:20 PM   #173
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

A Change Of Plans

I'm limited on time right now so I'm not going to try and rush through the last few days, there's too much to say in the time I have, and pictures to upload,etc. I'll start where I really have left off in La Paz once I get home with the full monty...

*very short version*
With 100ºF weather it was not fun trying to wrestle a fully loaded bike in loose sand and dirt in a black "winter" riding suit with no ventilation, even just riding down the pavement was brutal (ATGATT), so after riding 250 miles the first day solo in a furnace, I decided to head north.
The hot weather and having too much crap (you try to spend months on your bike without some comforts) was all the excuse I needed to not ride trails in Baja as planned, I had just already missed out on a good tour because the company couldn't get in touch with me while in La PAz, and right now I'm about broke so getting back to work is important...
So I then rode 700 miles to Ensanada the next day, and just arrived in LA on the 3rd solo day.
I'm shipping home a bunch of crap, including my laptop, to significantly lighten my bike and help make riding off road more enjoyable. UPS closes soon, so that's why I don't have time to do this last part of my trip justice, and honestly I'm just not up to it right now. I was surprised by a lot of emotions once I crossed back into the US, and I'm a little down.
I was real down until I made it here and *relaxed*.
Sad to be planning my route home a few mintues ago, I thought a little detour might help my spirits and soul, so....
Tomorrow I will be up very early to get the hell out of LA, and tomorrow night I will camp in Zion NP, Utah. 500 miles.
I'm going to screw around in Utah and hopefully, finally, ride some dirt for a few days before the inevitable boring, cold trek across the midwest back to Chicago.
More than likely I will not be updating this until I get home, the next and final part is just for me with no outside communication, I'd love to send home my phone too, but unfortunately I'm a slave to the dollar and have to check in for upcoming work...
Sorry for flaking out on my ongoing thread, but I just need some time to put some things into perspective, I will finish the story soon for ya'll I promise.

Thanks againto everyone for the kind words... I know some have said I'm living the dream, just know that this kind of freedom I've been lucky enough to experience comes at a cost, and not the dollar kind...
You were right Kevin.

Here's a couple quick pics from the ride up Baja to hold you over.

Cheers

Joe Finn

this can't be good for the chain... I really need to practice riding in soft sand on beaches.

Trying to find a campsite - racing against the sun. I lost.

Sunrise.

The speed and the temp were about the same... amazing what kind of time you can make when there's no traffic, open roads, and no worries about a ticket!

hasta próximo tiempo.

LostRider.com
Old 02-25-2009, 07:48 PM   #174
stormcloud
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Dont be sorry for anything, mate. You dont owe us anything, and you've been giving us LOTS. We have been enjoying your reports immensley, but of course it cant go on forever. The end of one adventure gives you a chance to reflect on it and absorb it's influence and lessons into your life. There's always another opportunity somewhere down the track.
We should just be grateful for your efforts in sharing. You've brightened our days that's for sure.

Go do what you have to do, whatever you WANT to do.

All that I want to say is:

THANKS! :)
stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:33 PM   #175
kpick
Free Range Human

Oddometer: 699
you pussy

Im a day behind ya...

I know you miss me already

kpick

p.s. when I get back to a real computer im going to let you all know what really happned in la paz

www.NationalCPRCertification.com
kpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:07 PM   #176
erichthered
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Great report

We will all be waiting for the finale .

Ride safe

96 R1100RT
erichthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:23 PM   #177
KEN PHENIX
"CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormcloud
Dont be sorry for anything, mate. You dont owe us anything, and you've been giving us LOTS. We have been enjoying your reports immensley, but of course it cant go on forever. The end of one adventure gives you a chance to reflect on it and absorb it's influence and lessons into your life. There's always another opportunity somewhere down the track.
We should just be grateful for your efforts in sharing. You've brightened our days that's for sure.

Go do what you have to do, whatever you WANT to do.

All that I want to say is:

THANKS! :)
Definitely! This thing you're doing we can't do justice to by calling a "ride" will inspire you and the rest of us for a long while. I thank you for that, my friend. Perhaps our paths will cross another time.
IBA #47092
The 919 Transalp Project
KatanaBandit (sold)
smugmug pics

KEN PHENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:41 PM   #178
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpick
you pussy

Im a day behind ya...

I know you miss me already

kpick

p.s. when I get back to a real computer im going to let you all know what really happned in la paz
I do miss ya...

but, pussy?
4 days down with Mr. Pee's alot.... 2 days back.... hmmm

You'd better leave that GILF out of this thread!
What happens in La Paz, stays in La Paz....

LostRider.com
Old 02-26-2009, 03:46 PM   #179
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,338
Quote:
Grandma I'd Like to . . . ???
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:03 PM   #180
Dead Eye Dan
Questionable Reputation

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Bullshit! Inquiring minds want to know!