burrito eater

Oddometer: 214
god damn i envy you
Burrito Bandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:24 AM   #212
OU812
Legend in my own Mind!

Oddometer: 8,339
Glad you are back in one piece my friend!
Looking forward to the final installment from your great trip!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=aYDfwUJzYQg
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:10 AM   #213
wiese
ADVtraveler

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
I'm uploading the final installment of photo's right now and will be finishing up very soon.
Hope all is well and cannot wait to read the final installment.

wiese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:37 AM   #214
carlsberger
ManyPauser

Oddometer: 39
get off your ass !!!!

Joe

I need the update now, get back at it, I can't stand it any longer !!!!!

Carl

Old 03-13-2009, 10:26 AM   #215
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,061
For you Carl...

OK, where was I?

Mexico!

Bacon wrapped hot dogs, what more could you want?

After a few days in La Paz, a friend of a friend in LA had told me I should come check out her place in Cabos and make myself at home...
Turns out to be a beautiful house right on the beach, again I find myself in luxury, contrasting nicely with the rest of my trip...

Great art

Sleeping in a bed right next to the ocean with the windows open is slightly better than in a tent. Slightly.

NTGNTT

After two days in Cabos Kevin and I had had enough of the tourist trap of a town and head back to La Paz.

Kevins friend Paco. He was a funny, funny guy. He also like the big girls...

after a few very blurry days in La Paz, during Carnival' I set out heading north, this time without Kevin. The plan was to take my time and camp on both coasts, trying to follow some of Sterling's (vegabiker) track. After stocking up at good ole' american walmart I set out.

While stopped at a construction site I noticed this RV... and I thought I was a long ways from home!

Stopping for lunch in some shit box of a town, it was a brutal 100F... This just wasn't going to work... I thought there's no way I was going to DS ride in a black winter riding suit in these temps...

Still heading north on Mex 1 I started to look for a place to camp, for some reason I kept moving after finding this spot...

I had stopped and scavenged some wood, then thought I should explore this wash to try and get to the beach.... bad move.

Not finding what I was looking for, after waisting 45 minutes I went back to the same spot I had been before - in the dark.

It was warm, still 60 at 10PM.

Sunrise was nice.

It was 88 by 9am with the temps rising... screw it, I decided I was going to haul ass to the border, get to LA to a buddies house and regroup. Cash is getting very low by this point, and it was just time to go

Riding on the Cortez side up MEX 1 I had seen this private beach on the down down.... couldn't find a road leading to it so I went down a steep wash off the highway to get here and take a swim. Unfourtunately my dumbass had packed my shorts in the bottom of my dry bag...

I'm assuming these are some whale vertibre found near the huge skeleton

Once again showing my sand riding skills...

Yep, I did a hell of a good job getting my bike stuck on the beach.

After fucking with it for a few minutes, I just puched the bike over, filled in the hole, and put this metal under it to get moving.

Turns out there was a road that followed the coast for a half mile or so... I was glad I didn't have to attempt to ride up the steep wash to get out.
That is until I came to the barbed wire fence and big sign saying " la propiedad privada no tresspassing" that I was on the other side of.
Shit, here we go again!
I did not waste time or take photo's, just got out Gerber, and made my way to the highway quickly and hauled ass North.
I really need to stop going down steep embankments...

Not really enjoying riding in Baja since it was 105F by noon, I just wanted to get north afap. Going the speeds I was my range was shit, but I managed to only use my spare gas once.

Stopping again at this tasty tamale stand, I had a nice conversation as I ate with Maria, though we didn't really speak each others language...

By sunset I was about 200 miles from Ensanada, after riding 500 miles in the heat. It's awesome what kind of miles you can make without much worries about getting a ticket and no traffic. I'm not really sure what I was thinking, but I pressed on wanting to just keep riding as I made it closer to the Pacific coast.

Riding up Mex 1 at night is.... scary. I was stupid for taking this unnecessary risk, but I just wanted to press on for some reason I can't remember now. I followed this truck for about 125 miles, just staying close and letting him "clear the way". This is at one of the militar check points where I was just waived through.

I made it to Ensanada alive somehow and found this shady hotel (with secured parking) for a measly $250 pesos or about $13. The hotel was block away from the Carnival' where it was Fat Tuesday and the streets were jumping.

I went to the huge party, finding myself in a sea of thousands of people having a good time... the only blue eyed gringo there.
I didn't bring a camera, wanted to just have fun trying not to be a tourist, though that was impossible being the only Gringo in the crowd. It was fun from what I remember...

the mirror on the ceiling was nice...

I set out early for the good old US of A, enjoying the spectacular view on the final leg of my ride in Baja

Being too wide with a fishing pole I couldn't split lanes at the border... lame.

As soon as I crossed the border I was on I-5 where I was almost killed, a chain reaction from some dumb ass in front of me, having to break so hard I kicked in the ABS, stopping inches from the bumper in front of me, the guy behind me screeching to a stop inches from me...
When I arrived in Hermosa Beach, while unloading my bike it was parked maybe a few INCHES into a "red" zone, obviously not blocking anything when a parking cop in a golf cart started to write me a ticket, I said "I'm just unloading it after a long journey, and I'm only inches into the red zone"
He said "move it now or get a ticket".
I managed not to say go fuck yourself because I was already in a foul mood, and thought "go for it buddy, there's no plates!"
Being the good, respectful fucking sheep I moved my bike instead...

It was like a slap in the face that really opened my eye's... welcome back to the USA, where the news media talks about how other countries are so dangerous just for headlines, where the self righteous drivers are in such a hurry, talking on the phone, reading work papers, texting, putting on makeup, etc. Also the land of rules, the "free" land of rules, regulations, and laws to help everyone protect themselves...

I've always had a dislike for the "law and order" in the US, but spending just a little while in Mexico had reminded me of these shortfalls I think our great country has with the I'm going to sue you mentality.

Enough political babble, I was just down from the high I got just being in Baja for a week... knowing I was almost out of money and needing to make my way home.
I always had it in the back of my head that I wanted to ride around Moab, so while planning my route home I set a nice detour through Utah.... I also sent home all but basic camping gear and minimal (warm) clothes.
I have to run right now, but will continue real soon.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 03-13-2009 at 10:40 AM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:48 PM   #216
carlsberger
ManyPauser

Oddometer: 39
Finally off your ass !!

Joe

The fix I needed, look forward to the finally

Thanks

Old 03-13-2009, 02:16 PM   #217
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
I know what you're talking about. Great report I know you have heard this many time but you have an eye for things. I would say the ladies as well but we have no proof

Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown

It was like a slap in the face that really opened my eye's... welcome back to the USA, where the news media talks about how other countries are so dangerous just for headlines, where the self righteous drivers are in such a hurry, talking on the phone, reading work papers, texting, putting on makeup, etc. Also the land of rules, the "free" land of rules, regulations, and laws to help everyone protect themselves...

I've always had a dislike for the "law and order" in the US, but spending just a little while in Mexico had reminded me of these shortfalls I think our great country has with the I'm going to sue you mentality.

ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:34 AM   #218
KEN PHENIX
"CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer: 578
Thumb

Thanks again Joe. This is not a ride report, it's an absolute epic. You are livin' the dream.

BTW: What happened to the R12R?
IBA #47092
The 919 Transalp Project
KatanaBandit (sold)
smugmug pics

KEN PHENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:00 AM   #219
Aces 6
WTFO

Oddometer: 80
Rocking story. Just prooves all you need is time and money for fuel. Doesn't matter if your on a scooter or roadster-look forward to the next post. Keep the rubber side down.
Aces 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:53 AM   #220
JayElDee
not saying what I mean

Oddometer: 554
Land of the free and home of the brave welcomes you back with a refresher course.

I noticed your MSR bottle on the front of your side case. Did you start out with them on the rear? What size are they--20 oz? 30oz?

Did they hit your leg in that position?

and thoughts about the 800 vs the 1200 after all those miles, just as reliable or bullet proof?

thanks

John
JayElDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:27 AM   #221
gypsyrr
in flux

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces 6
Rocking story. Just proves all you need is time and money for fuel. .
And maybe not money. I stopped at a gas station the other day and a guy on a bike had this system working for him:

With a red plastic one gallon gas can in his hand, he walked up to me while I was putting gas in my car and said, "Ma'am, I'm on that motorcycle over there and have been traveling back from California trying to get to Florida but have run out of money. Could you spare just a gallon while you are filling your car?" So I filled the gallon can , knowing he'd be waiting for the next person to make a donation to his efforts. I dont care if he did this every time his tank went dry or not. At least he was getting a chance to travel and it only cost his supporters $1.80 each.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:21 AM   #222
foobert
Hands-free adventurer

Oddometer: 96
what do you use for internet access while out on the road?

Joe -- It seams that many of your postings were done in fairly remote areas (i.e. no wifi available). You've mentioned an iphone, but that doesn't tether. Just curious what your setup is to post remotely on the road?

And, it goes without saying -- thanks for letting those of us that are tied down with mortgages, family, etc, live vicariously through your pictures and stories!
foobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:06 AM   #223
IceCreamSoldier
suffering somewhere

Oddometer: 471
Thanks

Thanks for taking the time to post this report. Glad you made it back in one piece.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:11 AM   #224
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayElDee
Land of the free and home of the brave welcomes you back with a refresher course.

I noticed your MSR bottle on the front of your side case. Did you start out with them on the rear? What size are they--20 oz? 30oz?

Did they hit your leg in that position?

and thoughts about the 800 vs the 1200 after all those miles, just as reliable or bullet proof?

thanks

John
I mounted them on the front from the start, though I did have them upside down for a minute.
I forget how many oz. they are, I've since removed them along with the yellow pelican in anticipation of a new packing setup. They are the largest MSR bottles available at the time. No they never got in the way, or hit my legs.

It's my opinion that the 8GS is as competent of tourer as the R, capable of long miles in relative comfort. They are both a blast on the paved twisties, the R has more power, turns in better, the 8GS's lighter weight and quicker spinning up engine makes them equal fun on road. There's also something real fun about leaning over with all that suspension travel.
The top speed is comparable, though the R is more at home at xxx+ speeds.
Off tarmac, the GS is obviously the far better choice, taking me places that even I wouldn't have tried to go on the R...
Both have proven to be reliable for me.
If I could only have one, it would be the GS, the fun factor is the equal, but the GS allows more places to ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN PHENIX

BTW: What happened to the R12R?
It's being taken good care by one of the Sacramento Wrecking Crew Guy's, not ridden as much as it would like though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyrr
, "Ma'am, I'm on that motorcycle over there and have been traveling back from California trying to get to Florida but have run out of money. Could you spare just a gallon while you are filling your car?"

Personally I prefer to work for the money I need for self-indulgence, but to each their own I guess.

I think it's interesting and OK for people to roll that that, just sayin' for me...

HI KRISTI!!!
I see it's warmed up quite a bit since I was in Texas, doing much riding?
Have you seen Ara now that he's back at the Oasis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foobert
Joe -- It seams that many of your postings were done in fairly remote areas (i.e. no wifi available). You've mentioned an iphone, but that doesn't tether. Just curious what your setup is to post remotely on the road?
I did carry a USB 3G wireless card, but honestly I didn't use it much cause there's only 3G in cities, the edge network everywhere else and that's no good for uploading 100's of photo's.
I used wifi outside of hotels, coffee shops, taco stands, etc.

I rode to Detroit yesterday to visit my sister and her wonderful kids... they're napping now so I had a few minutes. I'll be finishing the rest of the trip soon, but might have more to add...
I have some work lined up starting in a month, but am already having serious riding withdrawals (300 miles on the slab doesn't help) so.... I'm having a big garage sale, clearing out some stuff, and maybe going to sling some pizza at my Pop's place to finance a set of TKC's and a "short" trip south into the Ozarks... I AM NOT DONE!

OK, they're getting up from the nap... got to run!

Everyone, meet Finn!
At what age can I buy him a bike? 4?

This is Page wearing "the space helmet"!

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 03-17-2009 at 09:38 AM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:30 PM   #225
Banshee
hi

Oddometer: 5,912
that was incredible! beautiful pics. thank you for sharing your trip with us.

Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote