Old 09-23-2009, 11:27 AM   #616
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown
Shit!
Back to work!
I wuz gonna say . . . don't you have a ride report to do??

"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:36 PM   #617
mlkdash
Righteous Dude

Oddometer: 75
Coastal

That looks northern to me - Newfoundland maybe? Will be making a trip there some time...
mlkdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:44 PM   #618
cheelleebutt
Clueless Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Wow! Your GS is still leaking? So no BMW dealer has looked at it and managed a fix?

Quote:

Yes, yes, and yes.

My R gives my GS shit in the garage saying how it can do whatever the GS does.... the GS shoots back with that deep water crossing in Arkansas or Mengle Pass in DV.... Then the R says, well at least I'm not bleeding!

Shit!
Back to work!
Old 09-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #619
cheelleebutt
Clueless Adventurer

Talking

BTW! I agree. Work sucks! I wish I was out riding.

Quote:

Shit!
Back to work!
Old 09-24-2009, 06:55 AM   #620
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,056
Yesterday was very productive, I'm allowed a minute on ADV over coffee right?....

iDave
why the switch...
well, honestly I felt I was getting the most I could out of my D90 and wanted more resolution with a full frame camera. Since my main lens ( 17-55 f/2.8 DX Pro) was a DX crop lens and I has broken my 80-200 f/2.8 I really had no lenses for a full frame camera and would have needed to reinvest in new glass anyways since I was basically starting from scratch.
D700 or 5DII?......
All things being equal I just decided to give Canon a try and see what all the hype was about. Just like my next bike will be a KTM...

Yes, the GS is still leaking... it has sat in the garage since the Alaska ride since I don't have a local dealer (FUCK CHICAGO BMW!) to take it to.
Right now she's sitting in the garage with new shoes, and packed for another cross country trip.... I have an appointment at Gina's BMW at 9 am tomorrow to get the oil leak, gas gauge, and stalling issues fixed. (They seem quite sympathetic and said they have quite a few customers from Chicago......)
From there I ride West once again.

The GS better be on her best behavior, that R is a tough act to follow being back on top in my mind of my favorite bike, and since I'm back working, trading her in wouldn't be any skin off my back...

I understand some of you want the next chapter, and I do too, but if it was just photo's I could knock it out sooner, but since I have to complicate things with video and shooting time lapses I have too much PP to do before I can do it.... Sorry.
Don't worry, I'll have plenty of time sitting in rehearsals soon enough, and another chapter to add after that!

OK, I'm off to the DMV...

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:38 AM   #621
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,174
Yeah. Trade it in on a KTM. LOL! You think their bikes are bullet proof? But I digress.... There are F8GSs that have no problems. Yours not so much. Let a good shop work on it and see if things improve. Almost 6k mi on mine & no problems so far.

We await the nxt chptr with baded breath!!

When you have time...
Old 09-24-2009, 10:21 AM   #622
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 9,281
Quote:

From there I ride West once again.

If you make it through Tucson, you've got a place to stay, tools and garage space. Let me know if you need it.

Ride safe,

John
emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:41 AM   #623
cheelleebutt
Clueless Adventurer

Quote:

Yes, the GS is still leaking... it has sat in the garage since the Alaska ride since I don't have a local dealer (FUCK CHICAGO BMW!) to take it to.
Right now she's sitting in the garage with new shoes, and packed for another cross country trip.... I have an appointment at Gina's BMW at 9 am tomorrow to get the oil leak, gas gauge, and stalling issues fixed. (They seem quite sympathetic and said they have quite a few customers from Chicago......)
Gotcha! I probably imagined it, but thought you might have taken the GS in already.

Good luck on your next ride, and stay safe.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:54 AM   #624
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank
Yeah. Trade it in on a KTM. LOL! You think their bikes are bullet proof? .

I know I'll be in for more problems probably.... seriously though if I could get Jesse's and wheels that would take tourances on my R I wouldn't need my GS at all, just a KTM 450.

BTW, for the record... I really only talk shit about the GS because of the multiple dealer and BMWNA related problems. I understand that machines break and don't expect mighty BMW to be immune from things human beings make. Just like in my business, you're only as good as your last Gig so BMW is on my shit list for now, funny how I don't remember all the dealers that have taken good care of me while on the road...

Like has been said about the GS, it hasn't ever left me stranded and rides wonderfully, but all of the negative emotions from the drama that unfolded surrounding the issues I've had is what does it for me.
You would think they would treat all of us F800GS Beta Testers a little better...
I wouldn't expect any brand dealer or manufacture to treat me how I've been treated, let alone one that boasts about it's superior customer satisfaction.

I am truly sorry for those of you just trying to get your RR fix, most of this crap belongs in some subforums, but it's fine with me to get some of this techno babble or opinions out there since this thread is so heavily technology driven anyways, kind of a behind the scenes look.
If I wanted it to be a one way street this would all be on my crappy site in a blog, but I prefer the two way street that allows us all to share and learn. At least for now, and that doesn't mean you should come in here giving your unasked opinion about your own dam bike!

j/k

I've been rendering some files today while I'm running around so I'm getting much closer to starting the next two chapters....
Look... if I had a spankin' new 15" MBP I could render things much faster, and you would get your report much sooner! See it's all related!

Anyone from Apple want to sponsor a poor ADV rider?

I'll change my name to iChitown.

LostRider.com
Old 09-24-2009, 01:34 PM   #625
TedShred
PHAT BASTARD

Oddometer: 974
Quote:
Yer such a little hooker LOL

2006 DRZ400E
2005 R1200GS
TedShred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:36 PM   #626
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,168
Quote:

Anyone from Apple want to sponsor a poor ADV rider?
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:43 PM   #627
cheelleebutt
Clueless Adventurer

I feel for you man! There's nothing like a bad brand new machine to make the problem crawl under your skin and get you "pissed off!"

Not that it matters, but if you're ever in the Sourthern California region and need to take your bike to a BMW dealer, I highly recommend you STAY AWAY from Ventura BMW and Hollywood BMW. The work I've seen from Ventura BMW is pretty close to Chicago BMW. It's quick shotty work for a bang for them to make bucks. I've seen them over torque axle nuts, install a throttle cable in a very questionable way, and other things that I don't care to mention. As for Hollywood BMW, a guy I knew at work purchased a R1200C only to find out it was: totalled in a movie, fixed up, and sold as a brand new bike. When the guy went to register the bike with the CA DMV, he found out the bike is considered a salvaged title. Go figure.

The folks out at Brown Motor Works, Pomona, are trust worthy.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:27 PM   #628
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheelleebutt
As for Hollywood BMW, a guy I knew at work purchased a R1200C only to find out it was: totalled in a movie, fixed up, and sold as a brand new bike.

Hahahhaha, I almost fell out of my chair laughing, leave it to Hollywood to do something like that!

Really too bad about the poor quality dealers out there, I believe my guys here in Dallas and Fort Worth TX are pretty good (maybe it is the fact there are two dealers within 30 miles of each other that makes them friendly to compete).

Take your time with the report Chitown! I've got this on subscribe so I will be keeping up but I would be disappointing if you rushed or diluted your content
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:16 AM   #629
cheelleebutt
Clueless Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
Hahahhaha, I almost fell out of my chair laughing, leave it to Hollywood to do something like that!
1 out of 3 isn't bad... I think. Suffice to say, I'm more than happy to travel the 26 miles to get good service. Even my friends, that live in Ventura, travel the 70 miles to have their service done properly.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:14 AM   #630
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Update from the road....

I'm at Gina's BMW in Iowa City and am so glad I've held out to have them work on my bike!
The tech just went over things with me about the GS.... Turns out the valve cover is slightly bent.... he set it on a piece of granite to check that it's square. Talk about thoroughness!
They don't have a spare valve cover but are replacing all the gaskets, and if it leaks again we know the culprit...

He's gone over my bike with a fine tooth comb it seems, tightening stuff, cleaning and greasing things, replacing brake fluids (no charge), and so on.

My hate for BMW is slowly fading... remember that good as your last gig comment of mine?....

My valves at 21,000 miles are still in spec (15 minute labor charge since they already have the top off)

I have been explained in detail the cause of the stalling in rain, and they're just waiting for the fix from BMW....
They have the gas gauge thingy recall to fix still but seem to be moving along quite efficiently.

I spooned on a new Shinko 705 yesterday (rear bearings felt good and got new grease), and they're installing a TKC-80 front tire for me, so I'm really ready for some dirty fun in Colorado and Utah!

The plan is to iron butt it from here to Colorado tonight putting me in thick of good DS riding for the next 3 days... Then off to work in LA!

After sitting here talking with Gina, trading dealer stories and hearing why and how this dealer was started, along with her 20+ years of riding south of the border stories( good info and contacts for my planned ride south) , I feel right at home and am glad to have a brilliant Midwest dealer to compliment my other favorite dealer - A&S cycle in Sac.
I guess if I want to stay happy I'll just have to ride to one of the two dealers for work!

Done and done!

Oh yeah FUCK CHICAGO BMW! They need to send their employee's out here to learn how things are done!

LostRider.com