User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2009, 08:37 AM   #751
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,302
More please.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:59 AM   #752
spenserj87
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Mr. Doug was no slouch, he showed me some new places that I really likes, though I was ready to go faster for him if he wished.
At least I got her to triple digits for my GPS log - I HATE tickets. She was a great ride, the 3k we spent together
Old 11-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #753
sunsurfnride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
good to see the thread will be moving along again. Looking forward to more as usual.
GLDS
sunsurfnride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:50 AM   #754
Just_Jake
You lookin' at me...?

Oddometer: 389
Standing by to stand by.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:07 PM   #755
drmlabs
noobster lvl60

Oddometer: 61
Talking

Loved that post!
I knew GS bikes were sentient beings - thats why they whisper to me when I'm sleeping.
drmlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:20 AM   #756
OU812
Legend in my own Mind!

Oddometer: 8,596
Nice to see you back on the 1200. Now let me try the toy bike!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=aYDfwUJzYQg
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:45 AM   #757
janprimus
Semiglorious nOOb

Oddometer: 28
Thumb nice

I like the way you have turned it around brother. Just keep riding and write when you can.

2005 R1200GS
1999 Yammy Roadstar
1992 TW 200's I have twins!
1972 Sportster long gone
1969 Yammy six fiddy
janprimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:19 PM   #758
Beto
RustyGasket

Oddometer: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank
I'm a bit what is TSO?
Toronto Symphony Orchestra
Beto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:03 PM   #759
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,088
My beloved Roadster was back in my hands.

Within minutes of Doug arriving on my R I was taking parts off of her.
I had dreamed of being back on this fine machine, dreamed of a ride on a leaner, lighter, and slightly more naked perfect riding machine.
There's something very special about the grunt of the Boxer engine and planted/floating feelings of Ohlins supported Telelever suspension.
I needed to clear my head after a summer of working/touring, and this was just what I needed.
I have 3 weeks to play.
The plan was to keep the Roadster in Motion heading East.
And North.

Unfortunately my calculations had been off by about 600 miles on life of my rear tire for Doug's ride from Sacramento to Chicago.
With rain in the forecast Doug didn't want to take any chances on a tire at the end of it's life and bought a new rear in Minnesota.
A Dunlop something or other, and while it looked like it might be OK for me, I really love the Syncs so I was faced with changing out a new tire for "my" brand or wait....

I already had a new Pirelli Scorpion Sync waiting at my house and since I was planning on slabbing it all the way to Maine I figured I'd burn up the Dunlop and do the switch later.

With some new digital recording devices, and a slimmed down, clean Roadster I was ready to see what the North East had to see.

I left in the rain not too early, making it somewhere near the Pennsylvania border on Lake Erie, staying at the first of many expensive campground's.

That was the only photo I took for the first 1150 miles.
After another full day of boring slab/heavy traffic across the American North East I camped at another expensive yet unimpressive campground in New Hampshire.

Funny how I don't mind slab riding out west with the vast, empty expanses of land to melt into, but riding in the NE was not fun. when you just want to get through it. I never thought it would be, but part of living on the Midwest - everything I'm looking for is far.
Didn't matter really, I was going to get my oil and tire changed tomorrow, and would be well into Maine that night.

Two and a half days to get to what I consider the start of my ride.

First thing in the morning I rode by this, so I had to stop at the DeLorme headquarters and visit the Map Store...
I felt like a kid in a candy store.... maps.... maps.... and more maps!
Ah..... let the imagination run wild!

I then changed the oil, had lunch, and just rode slowly up the Maine coast.

I stopped at a Yamaha dealer and had my rear tire changed.
For $20 I could be lazy....
The way I timed it was to give myself enough mileage on the Sync to wander Newfoundland AND hop over to Labrador and ride the Trans Lab back home. If I wanted.
Silly to change out a perfectly good tire? Yes, but it was a bitch to get into my camera box with the tire on the back, and I was about to be in God's country so it had to go.

This night I found an amazing campground on Hermit Island, having it mostly to myself as I was here very late in the season. Finally I was starting to get comfortable and relaxed. I need space, ya know?
Perfect.

Here's a time lapse of the tide coming in/sunset from my campsite:

A shot from my Lumix

The next was filled with lots of slow going riding up Maine, nice, but very populated and heavy traffic. I hate to think what this must be like in the summer....

After another uneventful border crossing I rode until sunset and camped here, right on the water in Nova Scotia.
Sorry, not many photo's of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia... hard to just ride and fuck around taking photo's....

The next morning I rode by The Simpson's!

I've gotten really..... lose with my travels.
It's just more fun to not plan.
Since I was just out here trying to be unconnected, to just be, with no plan I missed a ferry by a few hours and ended up having a whole day to kill in Sydney Harbor.
Fine. I wanted the overnight ferry anyways. I think.
The weather was perfect, sunny and around 65.

I chilled near the water most of the day, taking in the fresh air.

This was my boat, the Atlantic Vision.

I have to continue later, it's bed time. I spent Thanksgiving in bed in a shitty hotel with a upper respiratory infection in Reno, resting for our 6 shows in 3 days we have this week.
I'm not complaining, after all this work will facilitate quite a few miles on my bike, and I greatly enjoy working with the fools I'm on the road with.
This installment for way more for me than any of you.... thanks for tagging along.
It's nice to go to my happy place when things are dark.

Cheers!

Here's a few recent shots from sixty feet above the TSO stage that is my life right now.

Sitting on top of one of my many video screens, this one's 132' x 33'

Just hangin' out

I'll be back asap, things are just getting started....

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:09 PM   #760
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 97,889

Thanks for the update. That's the only way I usually travel these days...almost no plans...way to go.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:47 AM   #761
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,607
Nice to see you back on the road. As always, great posting and shots. The time lapsed sunset was awesome.

Ride safe and have fun...looking forward to the rest.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:29 AM   #762
quicktoys2
ADVrider junkie :)

Oddometer: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown

Just in case you can't get used to tubes, you could try this system to convert to a tubeless tyre. http://www.nuetech.com/index.shtml

Thanks for the awesome ride report and pictures.

Soto
Old 11-27-2009, 11:22 PM   #763
Quacked
Loose Head Bolt

Oddometer: 176
+1 on the time lapse sunset!

My lovely wife and I are celebrating our 22nd anniversary tomorrow, and part of our day will include the TSO show in Sac!
Old 11-28-2009, 06:02 AM   #764
Ritchard
ZoomZoom

Oddometer: 108
It seems that Newton's laws of motion apply to Roadies.

ie., a roadie in motion tends to stay in motion.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:36 PM   #765
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,088
So after hanging out in North Sydney for the day, as night fell I was getting restless.
I really had no idea of what to expect in Newfoundland.
I'd scanned a few RR's but didn't do much research, kind of wanting to keep it a surprise.
I knew one thing from looking at the maps, there's plenty of open space between towns.

We finally boarded around 9:30PM for an 11PM departure.

The boat looked real nice, reminding me of the ferries found throughout Scandinavia, turns out it was a European boat and it wasn't real nice.
No bunks. No internet. No restaurant, just a snack shop. I was told it was the "bad" one to get stuck on, and the regulars hated the boat because of it's shortcomings.
Since I had chilled all day I wasn't really too tired and hit the bar.... thankfully the bar worked just fine.

The is Andrew, a Newfy who I met at the bar. We had quite a few scotches, and he gave me the low down on Newfoundland....
According to him I should just " do whatever I want".

He explained that I could camp or ride anywhere, and basically just enjoy myself. Not too many rules in Newfoundland he said, just don't be an asshole, eh?

This was when we went out to have a cigarette, with him explaining how high the snow was in the winter - when he was standing on the roof of his lifted 4X4.
He then broke out a nice joint, and asked if I'd be offended.... only if he didn't share! Turns out the Newfy's are pretty liberal with pot.

Do whatever I want?
Ride where ever I want, trail or not?
Incredibly friendly people who like to smoke weed?

I think I'm going to like Newfoundland....

After a night of terrible sleep in an airline type seat, the sun greeted my hangover along with a cool and strong wind.

This years been an incredible year for me, being able to ride most of the US states and Canadian provinces plus Baja, and now I find myself here on a wilderness island in a time zone 4.5 hours ahead of Cali.
Life is good. I feel right at home.

testing out the "do what you want" thing, I rode out onto this pier.... if this was the states there's be some douchbag cop or ranger or some do gooder with to much time on their hands freaking out on me....
No one freaked out. One car came by, the people waived.

Sweet.

I like new Canon body, but sure do miss the Nikon glass.... these lens flairs are a problem, even on L glass....

The other thing that everyone I had met said was to look out for all the moose.....

Not being in any hurry, and with good lighting conditions, I just spend the day looking for a perfect campsite.... went to most campgrounds around the park, but didn't care for any of them... and didn't want to pay....
the search continued as the day went by.

Hard to communicate in a photo, but it was very windy and felt like it might rain.

Finally around dinner time I turned down this path off the main road to find somewhere to camp. It was incredibly windy, probably 30-40 MPH sustained winds coming off the water, but this tree/bush line made the perfect natural shelter.

A simple canned meal, a little music, and of course a nip of scotch.

This is a moonlight shot, see me shadow?

It rained throughout the night, making for nice sleep.
The next day was greeted with calm winds, blue sky's and perfect temps around 60F.

Most of the towns looked something like this:

As I continued to ride north, the clouds filled the sky once again.
50-60F high temps, forecast of rain with much cooler temps = no tourists, no RV's!
I came at the perfect time....

I really had the island to myself it seemed...

Charging all the tools....

Wood.

There's these piles of wood EVERYWHERE. I mean, when riding, you pass one every minute or two. Turns out each of these piles is a households stash for the winter, they just go into the forest from the road wherever and make these piles.

Will continue ASAP.....

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 11-29-2009 at 07:04 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote